I cant find an answer, T5 v8 question. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I cant find an answer, T5 v8 question.

Ok, I've searched high and low for an answer to this, every time I think I have found the answer I get halfway through the replies and there's contradicting info..

So here goes.

Will a 1995 t5 out of a v6 bolt up to a 1994 gt without having to change the input shaft?

I know the bellhousings are different, that's not an issue.. I also know that the v6 trannys are slightly weaker..
I have a 1995 v6 "parts car" right now that has everything I need to do a 5 speed conversion in a 94-95 gt, the pedals, any crossmembers or bracketry, interior...etc.
The trans that's in my car has been beefed up, I have no doubts it will handle the power the gt in question is putting out.. but I seriously cannot get a definitive answer.. will it work with the proper bell, and stock v6 input shaft? If so, will I need a v6 pilot bearing or anything specific like that?

Please please please, someone out there tell me! Lol
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post
Ok, I've searched high and low for an answer to this, every time I think I have found the answer I get halfway through the replies and there's contradicting info..

So here goes.

Will a 1995 t5 out of a v6 bolt up to a 1994 gt without having to change the input shaft?

I know the bellhousings are different, that's not an issue.. I also know that the v6 trannys are slightly weaker..
I have a 1995 v6 "parts car" right now that has everything I need to do a 5 speed conversion in a 94-95 gt, the pedals, any crossmembers or bracketry, interior...etc.
The trans that's in my car has been beefed up, I have no doubts it will handle the power the gt in question is putting out.. but I seriously cannot get a definitive answer.. will it work with the proper bell, and stock v6 input shaft? If so, will I need a v6 pilot bearing or anything specific like that?

Please please please, someone out there tell me! Lol
Wish I could help. Good luck.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Find scottydsntknow or cliffyk. There are some other guys that will help too.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Find scottydsntknow or cliffyk. There are some other guys that will help too.
I talked to scottydsntknow the other day about some automatic questions. Dude knows his stuff
Old 07-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
He needs to change his name to Scottyknows lol. I see him post and ill say, "see, Scotty knows" lol. He's one of the best. We have several guys that know what they are talkin about.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
He needs to change his name to Scottyknows lol. I see him post and ill say, "see, Scotty knows" lol. He's one of the best. We have several guys that know what they are talkin about.
Indeed man. I was wondering about some stuff with an auto trans because I seriously know like nothing about autos.. I really on mess with engines or standard trans.. and this dude commented with like 4 paragraphs of knowledge.. I learned a lot from that one post
Old 07-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You will have to change the input shaft and I'm pretty sure they are 40lbs of tourque weaker than a v8 t5
Old 07-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
You will have to change the input shaft and I'm pretty sure they are 40lbs of tourque weaker than a v8 t5
How hard is changing the input shaft, and is that something that can be bought from say..summit?

The trans I have has been beefed up, I don't doubt it handling the power.. I just don't know if I have to change the input if its worth the extra work than just getting a 302 t5 from a fox or 94-95..
Old 07-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodRedStang View Post

How hard is changing the input shaft, and is that something that can be bought from say..summit?

The trans I have has been beefed up, I don't doubt it handling the power.. I just don't know if I have to change the input if its worth the extra work than just getting a 302 t5 from a fox or 94-95..
I can't give you the exact steps but the t5 in my 2.3t (same as a v6 tranny) held up to quit a bit of abuse just don't power shift and you should be fine
Old 07-21-2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

I can't give you the exact steps but the t5 in my 2.3t (same as a v6 tranny) held up to quit a bit of abuse just don't power shift and you should be fine
The older 2.3 t5s and 94-95 input shafts are different. I think there's like 3/4ths inch difference in the 2.

I've heard that the 94-95 v6 and v8 t5 input shafts are the same but the bellhousing starter locations are different.. I've also heard there's a few mm difference in the input shaft.. somebody told me that the v6 trans and bellhousing will work given I use a different flywheel to accommodate the starter location.. idk lol
If I can use this t5, with the gt bell and clutch kit..that's what ill do because its damn near impossible to get a 94-95 t5 around here for under 700 bucks
Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, got verification from multiple sources.

94-95 v6 and v8 transmissions are bolt in interchangeable. The bellhousings are different.

Older or newer trans require mods.

If you use a t5 from a fox, 4 or 8 cylinder, you need the bellhousing from the same year group.

A shout out to scottydsntknow for verifying!

Glad this lingering question in my mind is answered.. I think what confused me was the different year changes
Old 07-22-2013, 06:27 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Ya the T-5 from 94-98 V6 cars is a direct bolt up. 99-04s need a mod to the tailshaft for the speedo but are stronger. All but the most built T-5s are disasters waiting to happen IMO although they do shift buttery smooth...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Ya the T-5 from 94-98 V6 cars is a direct bolt up. 99-04s need a mod to the tailshaft for the speedo but are stronger. All but the most built T-5s are disasters waiting to happen IMO although they do shift buttery smooth...
^ knows his stuff huh lol
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
^ knows his stuff huh lol
?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

?
Lol. I was saying you know your sh1t

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT