camshaft choices - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #36
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lowGT View Post
To YouTube I go to spend the morning looking at 408s lol
I eventually want to get another 5.0 pushrod... probably one 25 years old though to register it as a classic in NJ. 94s won't get there for another 6 years... I'm like the only person I know who isn't cray cray about foxes.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

I eventually want to get another 5.0 pushrod... probably one 25 years old though to register it as a classic in NJ. 94s won't get there for another 6 years... I'm like the only person I know who isn't cray cray about foxes.
Yea lm not a big fox fan either, I think the lx with a Saleen spoiler looks ok but I would never buy one.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I would like to have a notch but not the hatch

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post

+1 my dad has a 408 with scat forged rotating assembly afr 185r heads comp cam(idk the specs) Harland sharp rockers edlebrock air gap intake etc and it's a monster it put 425 to the ground with some fuel problems and running bad lean on top end he has 5000 in the motor and it's so easy to drive and got 17.3 mpg with a 5 speed
That sounds like running out of fuel to the cylinders, may need bigger injectors and or f/p

---------- Post added at 01:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:41 PM ----------

I love the fox, some like some don't..I'm on the second total fox build and have done 6 restos and one drag coupe fox. But have 73 Mach1& sn95 and s197 gt 500 in the garage
Krazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:45 PM   #40

Region: Canada
well you guys sound like youve done this before....thanks, what about injectors?????/ what kinda gains can i get? im thinking nitrous, i have a heavy foot, i just wanna go fast.
pissedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #41
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pissedpony View Post
well you guys sound like youve done this before....thanks, what about injectors?????/ what kinda gains can i get? im thinking nitrous, i have a heavy foot, i just wanna go fast.
Dollar for dollar you can't beat nitrous and you can run low 12s with a 5.0 pushrod on the bottle with just bolt ons. Maybe even faster than that. But you'll also need the fuel system to support it and the suspension and everything else that goes along with it.

Gotta pay to play. If you have a spare $5k lying around and can DIY you can build yourself a very stout 320whp NA HCI 5.0 or a 400whp supercharged stock longblock with a decent suspension setup and trans to go along with it.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #42

well i just put a carter fuel pump in it, i wanna put high flow cats on it and maybe a different set of headers....definetly dont have 5k...i just spent money on the paint job, and i was gonna change the rockers but i heard they are hard on the heads.....?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #43
Staff
Regular
Staff

Nah, a set of 1.7 rockers is a decent upgrade for the stock motor. I'd go do all the bolt ons first and then go from there.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #44

thanks
Old 07-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #45

wait can i bolt the 1.7s right on with nothing else....what bolt ons do you recomend? i appreciate all the tips
Old 07-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah they go right on you just have to make sure you properly set the lash on them. Crane 1.7 pedestal rockers would be my vote.

As far as bolt ons for a 5.0...

-gears
-full exhaust
-cai/maf/tb
-pullies (after you upgrade to a 3G alternator)
-short shifter
-suspension suspension suspension
-wheels/tires

Old 07-28-2013, 10:18 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
I just read this. Talk about the competition heating up and reaching a boiling point. I hate to say this, but it seams like I learn more because someone does not know and someone else protects the knowledgeable reputation of our sight. Great job.

new engine,1.7 rocker arms,Pipes exhaust, shorty cats , shorty headers,under drive and overdrive pulleys,4.2 upper plenum, throttle body spacer, cold air intake, stage one clutch, shorty shifter, and tune. 8.8 in storage
samuelsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah they go right on you just have to make sure you properly set the lash on them. Crane 1.7 pedestal rockers would be my vote.

As far as bolt ons for a 5.0...

-gears
-full exhaust
-cai/maf/tb
-pullies (after you upgrade to a 3G alternator)
-short shifter
-suspension suspension suspension
-wheels/tires
Thanks scotty for adding the after 3G upgrade, also keep in mind that about 70% of people have issues with the UD pullies, some have charging issues (which the 3G upgrade would help alleviate(thought not always)), others have cooling issues which could be fixed with an electric water pump(but at that point why not just skip the pullies and go 3G/electric pump) just a thought.

I would also say that upper/lower intake could be on that list, but since the heads are major limiting factor it really depends on where you want to take the build.

Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

I sometimes forget that not everyone has owned a fox and knows about the horrific 2G alternators... On a 3G I had 0 issues and didn't on my Cobra either which rocked the stock 3G alt hooked up to a pretty decent sound system and never missed a beat. And that car had pullies too. Never had cooling issues on anything but I always changed the water pump on higher mileage cars I had.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:42 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
yeah, most of the time when people say my car is overheating but I replaced my radiator and water pump, they have UD pullies
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT