Torque converter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Torque converter

I don't know much about automatic transmissions can somone please explain how a stall of a torque converter works?
fordtough1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
It basically works like a clutch for autos... I'm bad at explaining this...

Say you have a 2800 rpm stall converter. At idle it'll be fully unlocked. Once you hit the gas it'll allow less and less slippage up to 2800rpm, sort of like letting the clutch out to that point. After that it is fully locked up just like the clutch is fully engaged. A big plus to a higher stall converter is the ability to come off the stall under a full load/boost from a standstill.

Then you have torque multiplication... under initial acceleration most torque/stall converters have a multiplier of 2.5:1 so you can definitely understand why most serious drag cars are automatics. You come out of the hole MUCH harder not to mention the auto will never miss a shift...

At any rate, that is the basics of a stall converter... very basic...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
The only thing I saw was Scotty say, "I'm not very good at explaining this." Lol. Then, I had to read it. Of course as always, he knocked if out! Scotty, where did u get all of ur knowledge?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Years of wrenching on these stupid things...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Lmao. No training or schooling? I have worked on something since I was old enough to and will never have that skill brother.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

I'm a mechanic as my primary job but not on cars, maybe that helps?

Old 07-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
It basically works like a clutch for autos... I'm bad at explaining this...

Say you have a 2800 rpm stall converter. At idle it'll be fully unlocked. Once you hit the gas it'll allow less and less slippage up to 2800rpm, sort of like letting the clutch out to that point. After that it is fully locked up just like the clutch is fully engaged. A big plus to a higher stall converter is the ability to come off the stall under a full load/boost from a standstill.

Then you have torque multiplication... under initial acceleration most torque/stall converters have a multiplier of 2.5:1 so you can definitely understand why most serious drag cars are automatics. You come out of the hole MUCH harder not to mention the auto will never miss a shift...

At any rate, that is the basics of a stall converter... very basic...
Thanks man that explains it perfect I've been trying to figure this out for a lil while now!
fordtough1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I went through all this last year when I was looking for a high stall torque converter and I was told buy the techs at summit racing when your looking for a T/C you want to go 300 to 500 RPM's higher in the stall then what your baseline power for your Cam is: example my cam's baseline is 2,200 RPMs and I went with a 2800-3000 stall torque converter !
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT