May be in a lil deep.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
May be in a lil deep..

Haven't been on in a while and actually sold my last fox, now I've traded for another and it's looking a lil sketchy. Seem to have a short on the electrical system and at idle she rocks like a monster, seems to drive alot better then the last few but feels like it misses driving at lower rpms. Any info would be appreciated,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1352879773.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	733.4 KB
ID:	120902  
Nwg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Well there are a lot of things to check if you think it is a miss.
First check your timing.
Then check for vacuum leaks with a section of tubing in your ear, move it all over the engine bay, especially the vacuum trees, tubes and intake(even your injector O-rings)
After that, you could make sure you're getting spark (start with the spark plugs)(also check them for signs)
Then move to your sensors
Coolant temp, O2, MAF if its converted, TPS, ACT/AIT
Is your IAC working? Clean it anyways.
Clean you Throttle Body
Do you have surging or just a miss?

The rocking could be as a result of a miss, but I would guess bad engine and tranny mounts( which are cheap and easy to change)
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well it's a carb set up and there's just the one vacum to the distributor. My carb leaks gas rite now and sumtimes seems to get a lil to much air but idk anything about carbs. I was really worried it was a cylinder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yeah I'm not a carb guy. Sorry mate, good luck
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
When's the last time it had a good tune up?

I would start with the simple things first.... Check to see if it's running rich or lean. Pull the plugs and check gaps and overall plug condition. I would also check all plug wires to make sure they are intact and no signs of shorting. If your carb is leaking gas and it's internal like a seal and not an external feed line, you may need a rebuild or just a new carb.... That could be your whole problem also.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Where is carb leaking??? That's where ur vacuum could be....change gasket and any hose leaking...spray clean the carb too...start changing plugs after that..check the module on distributor...if not fixed then ull probably have to take to get tuned...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

As far as vacum leaks I think it's called a PVC or sumthing. It's on the bak of the carb and sucks in air pretty hard while running. And I'm missing one of the bolts on the front top pass side of it. Also has a gasket leak on the drier side bottom area, Sumone put silicone on it. It still runs very strong and driven everyday cuz wen your in the peddle maybe 25% it's clear and strong pulling.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Get some carb cleaner..... While it's running spray around those areas and see what the engine does. If it bogs down then you know you have a verified leak.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Sounds like you definitely have vacuum leaks. Fix those and the car will most certainly run better!
Old 08-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
+1
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well wen I plug the one on the back of the carb it wasn't wanting to run for junk an I had to leave it open just to drive. All it fixed wen plugged was te high start up idle
Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Did you try spraying the carb cleaner around the base of your carb and where you said the previous owner had silicone?
Old 08-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

No haven't got too yet but where the silicone is it leaks a lil gas
Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
First off, I'm no carb expert but I have owned one car that has had a carb that ran like crap when I first got it. If there is a leak anywhere that you can hear or gas is seeping out, that is absolutely your culprit. It's probably running very lean at low RPM's and when you rev it up it evens back out because the vacuum isn't as crucial and the increase in air isn't affecting it as much. Get new gaskets for the carb, find a new bolt to bolt it down properly, and clean everything up and I think you will be running good as new.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My 85 is a carb an I finally got it running good again. Fix all vaccum leaks an a set of new gaskets is a must. Silicone doesn't work for carbs. And I would also clean the fuel bowls and metering blocks. A god rebuild kit has directions in them and as long as u take your time its not too bad. I'd jus change the main gaskets an clean bowls an metering block for now. And make sure the needle and seat in bowls are clean. Trash in there will mess up bad. Especially with ethanol in all the fuel now. And make sure u have al your bolts to bolt it down
bnoist114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Doesn't the 85 have that fuel injected carburetor or something like that? Sounds like vacuum for one. For example mine is fuel injected 86 mustang and when I updated cam. I had to update to MAF. Mine ran just like your talking about.
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Most all 85's are a 4bbl carb with a vacuum secondary. Any kind of vacuum or fuel leak makes em idle like crap
bnoist114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT