When to shift - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
When to shift

Alright guys I need some advice. Though stupid I will say I do quite a bit of street racing. Alot of times I have mixed results and I feel like it's because of my shift points. All my friends have told me I shift really quick, but I honestly have no idea when I should be shifting in my car.

I have 3 things I know I should be taking into consideration:
1. Powerband
2. Gearing
3. Tacometer

1. From what I've seen 94-95 Cobra's with stock HCI make peak power on a dyno between 4800-5100. Peak toque from 3700-4100. I've yet to have my car dyno'd but I will soon at my local Mustang shop.

2. I have 3.73's. With my stock 3.08's it took a lot longer to get into the meat of the powerband, and that's one reason I love my 3.73's. Once I shift it keeps pulling hard.

3. I've been told many times that the stock tac is crap. I've read it can be off as much as 200 rpm, I have no idea if that that means it's 200 rpm slow, 200 rpm fast, or if the tac just lags behind where it should be. I dont plan on getting an aftermarket tac anytime soon.

Taking all this into consideration using the stock tac, can anyone give me any tips on when to shift? Should I shift right after peak power, so that when I shift I am closer to the powerband? Or should I shift as soon as I hit peak power, so that I have more torque?

Also opinions on powershifting? If I go out twice a weekend and race 5-15 times a night how much harder will it be on my tranny? Is it worth the saved time IF it adds any extra wear?
94BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
First off if I don't say it someone else will...... Street racing is stupid, irresponsible, dangerous.... Etc, etc. you will be better off not including that in your posts from now on. Most wont even entertain anything having to do with street racing.

Now, with that said..... There's no telling where your tach is off. Best advice would be to see where the power falls off on your factory tach, take note and make sure you shift before that so you keep in the power band. On street tires power shifting isn't really going to do that much for other than wear on your trans and components.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
First off if I don't say it someone else will...... Street racing is stupid, irresponsible, dangerous.... Etc, etc. you will be better off not including that in your posts from now on. Most wont even entertain anything having to do with street racing.

Now, with that said..... There's no telling where your tach is off. Best advice would be to see where the power falls off on your factory tach, take note and make sure you shift before that so you keep in the power band. On street tires power shifting isn't really going to do that much for other than wear on your trans and components.
Yea I know. We go on pretty deserted roads out in the middle of nowhere when no one is around. Sadly I feel safer doing that than driving to work on public roads. I've been hit twice on the freeway by people texting and driving, swaying into my lane, and my mom got t-boned at 50+ mph and had her car totaled because some asshat didn't yield on a left hand turn at a 4 way, and had a bad shoulder injury. Seeing as we take neccisary precautions and all know eachother I feel I have a greater chance of being killed or hurt randomly than when street race. We know we're putting ourselves at risk, and make sure not to put anyone else, why we have spotters and use radios. And the main reason I mentioned is because I have no idea whether the fact I was on the street would affect where my shift points would be, compared to at the strip.

And I can't honestly tell where my power falls off. It feels like after 5k I'm out of breath, but I've noticed generally that the higher I rev it out the more consistantly quick I am. I was just looking for a general rule of thumb for stock 5.0's. Might have to just do some trial and error.
94BlackMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yeah, driving in regular roads is dangerous no doubt! Being a motorcycle rider and enthusiast I'm definitely on the lookout all the time!

As a general target most shift between 5,000 and 5,200.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT