dead battery - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
dead battery

Got a brand new battery after my old one died. Well after installation of my brand new battery 3 days later my battery is 100% dead I go to have it charged and again battery dies. I can not have my alternater tested because it is an 3g after market one toke it to autozone and advanced auto and was told they could not test it. Notthing in the car is left on. After having it looked at was told I may have a live or hot wire in my car. Anybody agree? what can I do to find this? Im running dual fans they run when I turn the key to the on position!!!! I have an stock alternater by me running those fans do I need the 3g alternater just I'm case it really is my alternater?????
88GHOSTFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GHOSTFOX View Post
Got a brand new battery after my old one died. Well after installation of my brand new battery 3 days later my battery is 100% dead I go to have it charged and again battery dies. I can not have my alternater tested because it is an 3g after market one toke it to autozone and advanced auto and was told they could not test it. Notthing in the car is left on. After having it looked at was told I may have a live or hot wire in my car. Anybody agree? what can I do to find this? Im running dual fans they run when I turn the key to the on position!!!! I have an stock alternater by me running those fans do I need the 3g alternater just I'm case it really is my alternater?????
To test your alternator you can hold a wrench infront of of the pulley if the alt is working it will pull a magnetic draw and it should pull the wrench or any metal object towards it but if it doesn't your alt is bad just be carful to not get your hand or any thing caught in a fan or the belt
fordtough1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtough1991 View Post

To test your alternator you can hold a wrench infront of of the pulley if the alt is working it will pull a magnetic draw and it should pull the wrench or any metal object towards it but if it doesn't your alt is bad just be carful to not get your hand or any thing caught in a fan or the belt
Couldnt you charge your batt and pull on of the battery wires off and if the car dies your alt is bad?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
You can test the alternator with a voltage meter while the engine is running. It will have at least 13,5-14 volts if it is charging. If it has no more voltage than while not running it is not charging
Old 08-04-2013, 09:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GHOSTFOX View Post
Is it lead acid or maintenance free?

I know on my red top optima I had to trickle charge it overnight.

Obviously there might be other issues... Try a load test while the engine's running and an alternator bypass test.

Autozone, Schucks, O'Reilly's should be able to do it for free.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_fiveoh View Post
Is it lead acid or maintenance free?

I know on my red top optima I had to trickle charge it overnight.

Obviously there might be other issues... Try a load test while the engine's running and an alternator bypass test.

Autozone, Schucks, O'Reilly's should be able to do it for free.
I think there's an accessory wire running to the coolant temp switch which keeps the fans on momentarily until your vehicle auto shuts off from being in accessory. I think the fans on are normal.
SOLD: '06 Pontiac GTO(M6)
"I cheated on GM with Ford... Don't tell Dodge!"
dj_fiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by lx92coupe View Post
You can test the alternator with a voltage meter while the engine is running. It will have at least 13,5-14 volts if it is charging. If it has no more voltage than while not running it is not charging
+1 thats how I test mine

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Do you have an optima battery? If so take that mofo back and get a refund! I had an optima in my old 90 gt and i went through 3 of them in about 6 months
Kevo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I have not had a chance to look at it ill update when I have a chance and try everything that was suggested by you all you guys have been a major help thank you stand by for updates
88GHOSTFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
Couldnt you charge your batt and pull on of the battery wires off and if the car dies your alt is bad?
NO! That is a terrible idea with a ECM controlled fuel injection.
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66

Lol
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billymich View Post

NO! That is a terrible idea with a ECM controlled fuel injection.
Ha oh damn computers im just to use to working on old cars you learn stuff every day
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I did that on both my 1990 and 2000, and never had a problem, albeit only once. But i just took the power cable off and left the negative on. This was until I spent the $20 on a multimeter to do it right. Lol

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Yeah, you can do it. But it's not worth the risk of burning out your computer and possibly needing a new harness
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Totally agree.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT