what years were best built? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
what years were best built?

ok Im searching for a new motor was thinking of going with 351w but read i needed to change a bunch of stuff on it to get it to work in my 91GT so Im looking at just getting a 302, my question is what year from 1980-1993 had the best built 302 what heads were better in which year etc???
thanks
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just get a 351W and check the under the cam bearings to see if there are cracks.

You don't have to change much to make not work in a fox

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Oil pan, intake manifold just to name a few

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
Just get a 351W and check the under the cam bearings to see if there are cracks.

You don't have to change much to make not work in a fox

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

Oil pan, intake manifold just to name a few
Yeah I'm new to this motor stuff have no idea what I need to change I heard oil pan but what I need or why I'm not sure I pretty much need to plug and play lol I'd love to learn all this but I'm terrible with research I just get confused and my budget is limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Are you planning to go carbed or EFI?
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ps I have a 86 302 with i think 87 heads also have a full Mac exhaust with bbk shorties and heard they wouldn't work with 351w which would mean I'd new exhaust too
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Id like to go carb I won't be driving it in the winter anyway but it really just depends on what's the cheapest and easiest I found a 351w for 500$
Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
In your case carbed would probably be best, that being said carb tuning is pretty tough for newbies compared to EFI
Billymich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
351 you just need the swap headers, 351 accessory brackets and then either a cowl hood or drop mounts for underhood clearance (get a cowl hood). Can't be a simpler swap in a pushrod car and anyone who does a rebuild and does NOT go 351 is not doing it right IMO.

And yeah ANY 351 block will be good for north of 700whp so just get a F4-up roller block, check under the cam bearings for cracks (or just buy a Fordstrokers block/shortblock since Woody does it all for you) and go from there. 351 intakes and heads are not really much more money than the 302 based stuff and you make a metric assload more power with the 351 based motor. A mild 408 stroker will be making 500+ to the wheels and you'll come into a FAT power curve with sphincter clenching torque at a really low RPM level too.

edit: To answer your original question if you just want a quickie replacement to get you back up and running for the time being then any 302 will be good really. Best bet would be one out of an Explorer since those come with the GT40 stuff on them already. You'll need to upgrade the valve springs and swap in your stock cam (or an aftermarket one) but that's no biggie.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT