fuel pressure - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
fuel pressure

Checked fuel pressure. 35psi at idle. Rev engine up-pressure drops to 30psi. Is this right or do I need to look into a fuel pump. It almost falls flat on its face at 4000rpms when u drive it hard
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finchms View Post
Checked fuel pressure. 35psi at idle. Rev engine up-pressure drops to 30psi. Is this right or do I need to look into a fuel pump. It almost falls flat on its face at 4000rpms when u drive it hard
What are you running for a motor? If you have minimal upgrades such as MAF and throttle body or injectors you will definitely need a bigger fuel pump. To be honest, fuel pump is one of the first upgrades I would make. At least up to a 255lph pump. You can always turn the pressure down with the adjustable regulator.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post

What are you running for a motor? If you have minimal upgrades such as MAF and throttle body or injectors you will definitely need a bigger fuel pump. To be honest, fuel pump is one of the first upgrades I would make. At least up to a 255lph pump. You can always turn the pressure down with the adjustable regulator.
E cam, gt40 heads, n cobra intake. 19 lb injectors. Its run fine since the work. Prolly 20000 miles on engine. Im thinking the fuel pump is just getting weak cause its just now starting this problem
Finchms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Replace your fuel pump. It more than likely cannot supply the fuel needed nor maintain fuel pressure which is probably why you drop off around 4000rpm. More air demands more fuel.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
The stock fox fuel pump can barely supply the stock motor much less any upgrades. Its what like 88lph IIRC? Drop the tank, do a 255 walbro and call it a day. Upgrading your injectors to 24s couldn't hurt but the 19s should be ok for what you have. The bigger issue is the injector condition after all these years if they are originals. They stop so much spraying a fine mist of fuel into the cylinders and just squirt a jet of fuel in instead. When I did the injectors on my Cobra from OEM injectors circa 1995 to new ones it cured the rich idle condition I was having and the car picked up a noticeable SOTP gain.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Kinda makes me wish I replaced my pump when I replaced my tank last week, but I refuse to put anymore money into this car before I can drive it around the block again lol
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT