Is a b&m ratchet for a aode worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Is a b&m ratchet for a aode worth it?

I have a serious shift kit and plan to drag race every now an then. Should I just risk it and use 1 2 an d on my stock shifter or buy a b&m ratchet? 200$ is a lot so I'm on the fence about it.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I'm debating the same thing... I think it would be worth it because the ratchet style shifter... But most people just go for the looks.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcap View Post
I'm debating the same thing... I think it would be worth it because the ratchet style shifter... But most people just go for the looks.
Yea, for looks i would just get a upr auto shift knob to replicate a manual knob and buy a leather boot from American muscle in my option you couldn't tell it's a auto and it looks sick. I want he b&m because I want to be able to bang shift and get my motor in the higher rpms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Any one have one that can tell me I it's worth it? Or any installation tips?
Old 08-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had one on my 90' GT with the AOD tranny. I liked it a lot, but found that I rarely used it besides for putting it in drive lol. Definitely cool, but I ended up doing a t-5 swap and sold it on CL.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
I had one on my 90' GT with the AOD tranny. I liked it a lot, but found that I rarely used it besides for putting it in drive lol. Definitely cool, but I ended up doing a t-5 swap and sold it on CL.
Yea, I do plan to take the car to the strip once an a while so I think it may be worth it. How hard was it to install, and do you have to adjust any cable
Old 08-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well its not impossible to do, if you have a moderate amout of mechanical knowledge, but take your time with it. And you do have to adjust the shift linkage to get it just right. But like I said its not that hard to do.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Which ratchet are you talking about? The Hammer that goes in the stock spot or a real legit one like the Pro-Stick that you need to put under the console coming up from the ash tray or swap to an 01-04 console with a billet plate made for it?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Which ratchet are you talking about? The Hammer that goes in the stock spot or a real legit one like the Pro-Stick that you need to put under the console coming up from the ash tray or swap to an 01-04 console with a billet plate made for it?
I duuno about the OP, but the one I had on my 90' was the hammer style. I wasn't about to spend the money on the real legit one for a pretty much stock AOD lol

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm talking about the 200$ stock replacement. I just want to be able to bang through the gears safely without skipping a gear. Also get it near red line. I have a rebuilt and beefed up aode, is it safe to shift manually often, or should I only do it when necessary. Also do I keep the petal mashed while shifting or let up?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

You don't let up on an auto while shifting, that is the beauty of it. Your best bet is to get your ECU tuned for optimal shift points and just let the computer do all the work.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You don't let up on an auto while shifting, that is the beauty of it. Your best bet is to get your ECU tuned for optimal shift points and just let the computer do all the work.
I guess, but that's expensive plus its my dd (gas mileage). Plus I always wanted a manual but they all were it horrible shape cosmetically or had A gazillion miles on them. Any way the ratchet shifter is the next best thing lol. If you come of the gas wen you shift just cruising around and want to shift yourself will it harm the transmission? Or clutch packs. I have already had the expense of getting it rebuilt, never again!
Old 08-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Stangtv.com just posted I video of the B & M Hammer shifter for 94-04 Mustangs. Check it out!

FYI: the video was done by Americanmuscle.com

***resident gun idiot***
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I have the B&M hammer shift or my AODe , 3,000 stall converter and 4.11 rear . I love it
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Stangtv.com just posted I video of the B & M Hammer shifter for 94-04 Mustangs. Check it out!

FYI: the video was done by Americanmuscle.com
I will check It out

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
I have the B&M hammer shift or my AODe , 3,000 stall converter and 4.11 rear . I love it
Not to be a stalker but your at is straight up sexy. That motor is a beast what size is it and with what mods. I already have a built trans, after I get this b&m, I want to get a bigger motor and a roll cage
Old 08-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post

I will check It out

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

Not to be a stalker but your at is straight up sexy. That motor is a beast what size is it and with what mods. I already have a built trans, after I get this b&m, I want to get a bigger motor and a roll cage
Motor is a 308 shortblock that I powder coated black., Edelbrock performer heads ported , performer intake ported. & polished , 1.7 rrs full offroad exhaust .

I did all the painting and interior , built the motor in my garage !!
Old 08-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Motor is a 308 shortblock that I powder coated black., Edelbrock performer heads ported , performer intake ported. & polished , 1.7 rrs full offroad exhaust .

I did all the painting and interior , built the motor in my garage !!
http://youtu.be/dpRbKI91wOM
Old 08-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Sounds mean. Nice stang.
Varasios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm going to steal your car lol jk, sounds sick!!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I just ordered one from am can't wait!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Just make DAMN sure you have it adjusted right. They are notorious for having issues with the shifter/kickdown cables but when they are in right they are fine.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just make DAMN sure you have it adjusted right. They are notorious for having issues with the shifter/kickdown cables but when they are in right they are fine.
Thanks I will
Old 08-13-2013, 10:25 AM   #23

Region: Alabama
I also want one but I'm afraid of tranny damage plus those aod tranny are known to be ****ty. So when you get yours set up let everybody know how it's it manually shifting a auto..
95Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

It won't be that great, not as good as he's hoping I'm sure. There will be a delay from when he bumps the shifter to shift until it actually does. This is because its a stock trans. A BUILT trans that is manually shifted will snap your neck the instant you hit the shifter.

I'm not trying to be a downer but that's just what a stock automatic trans is going to be like.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It won't be that great, not as good as he's hoping I'm sure. There will be a delay from when he bumps the shifter to shift until it actually does. This is because its a stock trans. A BUILT trans that is manually shifted will snap your neck the instant you hit the shifter.

I'm not trying to be a downer but that's just what a stock automatic trans is going to be like.
I have a built trans, and at 5,500 rpm's with the computer shifting it practically gives you whip lash and it chirps the tries in to 3rd. I installed te b&m last night and it feels really solid. As for looks its sick. Haven't got to drive t yet because I need to install my tranny cooler. Also the valve body plate is a b&m racing on so its even better than the j mod people do to crown Vicks on AODE'S
Old 08-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Ponyboy View Post
I also want one but I'm afraid of tranny damage plus those aod tranny are known to be ****ty. So when you get yours set up let everybody know how it's it manually shifting a auto..
My AODE was rebuilt by my friend who builds 1,600hp dragsters. On a stock one it will be a really delayed shift and on a old AODE it won't be worth it. Yes its true AODE's don't live long but I have 1,500 in parts alone in my trans and some part that the police interceptors have that make them last so long, forget the parts name. He also told me to change the trans fluid with royal purple full synthetic ATF every year. Anyway it's worth it for me but I wouldn't put a 220$ shifter on a stock trans. The receipt from the store he got all the parts from is like 3 feet long lol and I also put a higher rpm torque converter in from b&m
Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #27

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post

My AODE was rebuilt by my friend who builds 1,600hp dragsters. On a stock one it will be a really delayed shift and on a old AODE it won't be worth it. Yes its true AODE's don't live long but I have 1,500 in parts alone in my trans and some part that the police interceptors have that make them last so long, forget the parts name. He also told me to change the trans fluid with royal purple full synthetic ATF every year. Anyway it's worth it for me but I wouldn't put a 220$ shifter on a stock trans. The receipt from the store he got all the parts from is like 3 feet long lol and I also put a higher rpm torque converter in from b&m
So what will you recommend just for eye candy effect? B&M seems like the better go especially if I drive it normally
95Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

My trans snaps your neck in every gear , gets annoying sometimes but my Over drive is set to shift into at 50mph which i like cause i dont have to turn it off!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Eh, sounds like a nice trans. You couldn't pay me to put a B&M valve body in a trans but that's me. Hopefully it holds up for you.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Yea it was a stock trans but my brother works for ford and he rebuilt it for me which was nice !!
Old 08-14-2013, 10:47 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95Ponyboy View Post
So what will you recommend just for eye candy effect? B&M seems like the better go especially if I drive it normally
that's expensive eye candy, if you want it for looks buy a shift knob from upr products for a automatic that mimics a manual knob and then get a leather shift boot from am muscle. no one will ever know its a auto. 87-04 Mustang Billet Bullitt Automatic Shift Knob
Mustang Leather Shifter Boot (94-04) at AmericanMuscle.com F4ZZ-7277-A
Old 08-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My trans snaps your neck in every gear , gets annoying sometimes but my Over drive is set to shift into at 50mph which i like cause i dont have to turn it off!
yea lol, mine never really annoys me but i also only have about 220hp , i also always have overdrive off because mine kicks in at the worst time like up hill. anyway i think b&m makes quality stuff and on a trans that is worthy of it the ratchet is a great investment. unless you have the precision feel that it requires to operate the stock shiftier without skipping second or going right in to neutral this is a must for drag racing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2707260660.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	123905  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT