hope this was fluke - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
hope this was fluke

Got out of work turned ignition to unroll windows turned Back. Ate real quick, started car only let run like minute. Drove to gas station for Cigs. Shut down because wouldn't stay, ebrake doesn't Work. Came out and nothing no power at all. Tried couple times. Moved shifter in and out couple gears nothing. Steering wheel locked so turned key to unlock and then got power and started. Never had that happen, no power that is. Haven't been able to start couple times out if stupidity leaving lights on or once after torrential rain. But I think had at least little power.
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It may be a bad ground connection somewhere. Possibly in steering column since u where able to move wheel an it started. A bad crimp or loose ground cable will cause nightmares sometimes, yet its simple to fix once u track it down. But I'm jus guessing
bnoist114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
That's classic bad ground. I'd replace the main grounding strap which goes from the driver's side motor mount to the frame. The stock one is a flat braided cable and gets crudded up easily and is probably almost gone on your fox being as old as it is. I replaced mine with 4 gauge battery cable and added a 2nd one on the passenger's side too. Check all the other ones too. Google where they all are, I'll probably forget about one, it's been almost 3 years since I've worked on a 5.0 now... wow...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ill check into thx. About to run to store real quick see what happens. I'm going back to illinois tomorrow to pick up jeep so ill be letting it rest long time anyhow. Ill be less nervous to do stuff self now because ill have a back up. From what I recall probably on to something because have seen wire your talking a out. Look thin an old.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm makes me think though. Think this could be problem I have when I try to get into a lot of times. Kinda bucks/spits/heditates..to me feel like getting fuel but not translated. Mechanic drove before said feels like turning key on and off.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Did it again..after this 1st occurance posted while ago drove for few days then went to pick up jeep in Illinois. So parked in garage for bit. Took out about week ago changed tire. Go out tonight to get gas and nothing again. Didn't notice if dome light was on when got in, its dim to begin with probably a led light from previous owner. Anyway...did my typical pop hood and stare at it hoping it will fix lol. Ground does look old. The one on firewall going to back of engine. I can feel it back there but how to I get to from underneath car? Could be possible, and I'm preying, near dead battery. Dome was on w door open turn key and it goes out and does same.if I try to turn headlights on. Ill take battery out in morning and put on charger hope for best. Not coming at good time. Trying to play catch up still after moving and just now getting tires on jeep and picking up. But plates on jeep expire this month and can't afford now. Hopefully no problems out of state plates, refustration says expire on 30th. Plan was to park and start driving stang again for while until I could get them before the blizzards come. Bless it time for quick nap and to work.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Where are other grounds if any? 90,302,5spd
Old 09-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Have u checked if terminals r loose??? Any corrosion on them???
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Shouldn't be loose or corrosion..took off neg couple times recently to clean iac and attempt maf. Screw stripped in that couldn't get off
Old 09-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Damnt hooked up to charger and was pretty much already full..not what I was hoping for
Old 09-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Might have a bad cell but still think u have a bad connect somewhere...get a Haynes book and start digging into wires bud...
Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just maybe its the connection in ignition lock...there is alil rod in when u turn key it moves down n allows start and power to go thru wires...u can see it once u take all the plastic off...if u turn key it moves down and has a small spring that keeps it against connection...if lil rod or spring is bad causes not to start or power to come on...just like ur describing...
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

See it???

Click image for larger version

Name:	$T2eC16NHJGIFFov1gCO7BSB,i8w0eg~~60_1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	127063
Old 09-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I think I may of got it. Thx on corrosion. Brought battery back up and before connecting glanced around. Where pos cable goes to solenoid? Along with bunch of other wires did look corroded like toothpaste. So took off quickly sanded down as much could and had patience for. Connected all back up. Fired up immediately. Let run very shortly, because next to no gas. Turned off and on 3 times np. Hope I got her. Switch under column I've read about before. Half plastic is already off..so if have problems again ill look at. Ill gas up when paid in couple days see how its acting. Tons of driving coming up I'm gonna use little money I have for gas for jeep. Tuesday work 5p-1am one job, then 230-11 other, quite possibly 4pm wed at 3rd job-?. So lol probably 36 hours straight of work and about 160 miles of driving. Off my midnight job wed night phew. Thanks a million
Old 09-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Busy busy busy...just fyi baking soda n water works great for corrosion...use alil terminal spray once all cleaned up works too just don't gunk it it looks sloppy....
Old 09-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Ya thx, I just saw it and thought to myself. Why the hell not nothing is connected I'm not going to electrocute myself lol. Figured id try to scrape off real quick see what happens. To my joyous suprise and it did. I only took bolt off one side where pos is connected. Maybe ill try that another day on other bolt.

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 AM ----------

Thanks again I'm an amateur at working on things. More inclined now that I have jeep if f up though.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

No problem..glad to help...
Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Glad you figured it out! You can also use hairspray on your terminals after you clean them to seal and protect against corrosion. A little cheap trick I picked up.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ya, now I just want to drive it. Probably bad idea though in case anything else is wrong. Even though I think I get little better gas mileage than jeep and it has valid plates. Jeeps expire this month. May even be possible just got wet. There is no weatherstripping at all on this car. 1 time a long time ago it was dead when went to leave work in morning. Stormed pretty bad that night if remember. That time, if I remember right, came back next day andI took ground bolt off against firewall did same thing. Sanded put back on and fired up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT