Lifter noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Lifter noise

My ? Is i just rebuilt my motor but my lifters and push rods had hardly no miles on them. I rebuilt the whole low end and rebuilt the motor. Runs good butt lifters are noisey or rockers. I have pit 200 miles on it and noise is not going away all my rockers are torqed right and it wasnt load before. Could my lifters have gone bad sitn for so long
Kenny laird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny laird View Post
My ? Is i just rebuilt my motor but my lifters and push rods had hardly no miles on them. I rebuilt the whole low end and rebuilt the motor. Runs good butt lifters are noisey or rockers. I have pit 200 miles on it and noise is not going away all my rockers are torqed right and it wasnt load before. Could my lifters have gone bad sitn for so long
Hmmm could be a collapsed lifter(s) maybe?

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

They can be a b tch occasionally. I'm assuming that all of the lifters were installed on the same cam lobes as they were in the first engine, and the engine has proper oil pressure and all of that good stuff ...
What method did you use to adjust the rocker arms and how far did you turn down the nut from "zero lash"?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes good oil pressure and all that from what i know with these motors there is no adjustment just the torque spec
Old 08-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I thought about that after I wrote it. I have roller rockers on my mind. Lol.
All of the pushrods are in the correct locations as well? You may have to either use shims or different length pushrods to solve this. Have you ever considered changing over to stud mounted roller rockers?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Jeez. I'm not doing so good on this thread.

I just reread your original post.

This is the same engine block that the cam and lifters were originally in, only it has been rebuilt. Correct? That being the case... Was the block decked and/or the heads milled? That will change the distance between the lifter and the rocker arm.
Other than the push rods, somehow, getting mixed up, I can't think of any other reason why your getting the valvetrain noise from the same set up.
Your probably going to have to get one of those adjustable pushrods to measure and see where you're at.

Also, make for damn sure that this is not an exhaust leak that you are hearing. They can be tricky devils...
This is why I like roller rockers. Especially on Fords...
Old 08-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Im sure its not exhaust leak. And correct its a rebuilt short block Im gonna open it up this weekend and see whats going on

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

But is not the same block the old block when spun the bearing took off to much material to save it so bought a high millage block and had shop clean and hone
Old 08-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

[/COLOR]But is not the same block the old block when spun the bearing took off to much material to save it so bought a high millage block and had shop clean and hone[/QUOTE]

Ok. That finally clears it up. Lol. Probably the dimensions have changed with the different block. Good luck and please update when you get a chance. These are the kind of problems that interest me the most...
Old 08-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I def will gonna pull it apart tomorrow and see whats going on. The lifters did sit dry for about 8 mounths.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Did you give them a good oil bath prior to putting them back in? And yeah, would've been better to have stored them in oil for those 8 months.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT