coolant temp sensor? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
coolant temp sensor?

Which is which? According to my haynes manual and a couple websites, the sending unit that controls the guage is on the lower intake manifold on the drivers side, and the actual coolant temp sensor is on on the front of the motor near the thermostat. Is that true?
I'm asking because on my car, the sensor on the LIM isn't hooked up and I can't find a connector anywhere under my hood that would go to it.. yet my temp guage works fine. And if that's the actual coolant temp sensor, that's not hooked up, it may explain some of the issues I'm tracking down.
BloodRedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
U can see the sensor under intake..its right between the injectors...u can reach your hand in there too...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jduckz5.0 View Post
U can see the sensor under intake..its right between the injectors...u can reach your hand in there too...
Ok, is it the one that's at the front of the lower intake with 1 red wire? Or the one that's at a slight angle about a half inch below the upper intake gasket with 2 wires?

Ill get a pic of the one I have that's not hooked up.. I'm confused, there's literally no plug anywhere on my harness I can find.. unless the dude I bought it from decided that was another "optional part"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

This is the one with 2 wires that isn't hooked up

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130902_175316.png
Views:	181
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	127106
Old 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

And this is one is just 1 red wire in the front right corner of the lower intake. Kinda forward and right of the #5 injector.

The other plug with 2 wires is up between the #5 and #6 injectors under the rail.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130902_175426.png
Views:	160
Size:	427.8 KB
ID:	127107
Old 09-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

U can't find the plug?? Is it hard to start til it gets hot and runs ****ty???

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

The gauge is plugged in...where the hell r is the plug for temp sensor???lol
Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
U can't find the plug?? Is it hard to start til it gets hot and runs ****ty???

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:06 PM ----------

The gauge is plugged in...where the hell r is the plug for temp sensor???lol
Ok, if the single red wire is the guage, what the hells the plug over on the thermo housing? I thought that was either the guage or the coolent temp sensor??? Lol

Its really not hard to start cold (besides not having an iac right now) but it was idling like crap and it sounds like its missing at idle. I'm gonna be replacing the iac prolly tomoro if I can so that should take care of the idle..

If that grey plug with 2 prongs I took a pic of is the coolant temp sensor I don't know what the hell the one on the thermo is or where the hell the plug for that one on the intake is..
Old 09-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Start fishing under intake...the wire and plug run with the injector wire so gotta b somewhere....the sensor on thermo I think but not sure is a coolant temp sensor also...lol

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

U might have to take intake off to find wires if plug is gone and replace...did that have aftermarket gauge???that not plugged in is probably your problem besides iac...
Old 09-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Start fishing under intake...the wire and plug run with the injector wire so gotta b somewhere....the sensor on thermo I think but not sure is a coolant temp sensor also...lol
I just quadruple checked my service manual.. and the only coolant temp sensor they mention is the one on the thermo.. there's no mention of this mystery sensor I've got anywhere in this book.. and I had the upper intake off, no plug.

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

I'm beginning to wonder if it has something to do with the egr or a/c.. because my car has neither of those.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Wires had to b cut was there the wires for fuel injectors black taped????
Old 09-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wires had to b cut was there the wires for fuel injectors black taped????
The harness looks stock in that area of it.

I just looked up lower intake manifold on google and the grey sensor I was pointing at is an air temp sensor.. which confuses me even more now because the only air temp sensor my manual mentions is the IAT sensor in the intake tube.. I'm lost.. I'm beginning to wonder if the dude that screwed with this thing before me had a fox 5.0 intake on it or something.. idk
Old 09-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry but I got confused the coolant temp sensor/sender on thermo is for gauge...the other regular coolant temp sensor not sender is missing the plug...

---------- Post added at 07:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 PM ----------

On the 94-95 5.0 its more of issue cause computer sensitive...but not the older 5.0 that's y its still starting but I would buy a plug,find the wires in harness and connect it again...
Old 09-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm sorry but I got confused the coolant temp sensor/sender on thermo is for gauge...the other regular coolant temp sensor not sender is missing the plug...
The single red wire I showed is for the gauge.. if I unhook that wire the gauge quits reading.
The sensor on the thermo is the main coolant temp sensor.
The mystery sensor is an air temp sensor.. but god knows for what, I have an air temp sensor.. I'm SERIOUSLY thinking about just pitching the computer and all these damn sensors and going carbed. I'm sick of these electronics.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I'm have *** backwards rite now...lol I thought u had older 5.0 but anyways electronics r kinda hands on especially on a94-95...but still find and fix that wire/plug...
Old 09-02-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm have *** backwards rite now...lol I thought u had older 5.0 but anyways electronics r kinda hands on especially on a94-95...but still find and fix that wire/plug...
I think I figured it out.. I think the lower intake manifold is from a fox 5.0. From what I can see, the only air sensor on the 94-95 mustangs is before the throttlebody..
Old 09-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

He must of sold wat he had and put that on to sell it to u...I don't know if any difference performance wise...
Old 09-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He must of sold wat he had and put that on to sell it to u...I don't know if any difference performance wise...
What I'm thinking happened is he thought he knew what he was doing building an engine and just slopped s**t together thinking it would magically work.

I guess it doesn't really matter because I'm building a different motor for it this winter..
Old 09-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Nice well then beat the hell out if it...lol throw a 150 shot real quick and beat away...
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nice well then beat the hell out if it...lol throw a 150 shot real quick and beat away...
Don't tempt me.. there's a used NoS kit at my buddies speed shop for sale at a decent price..lol

Honestly, I'm going back and forth between doing a 302 with a gt40 top end (or a set of A/M aluminum heads if I can find some cheap, and a good intake combo), a 347 stroker (supposedly the motor in mine is a 347 bottom end but a stock e7 top.. which it might be idk), or a 351w. I've been doing a lot of reading on 408 strokers lately.

Idk. I don't know yet what my budget will be yet so that'll be a big determining factor when the time comes. I know for sure I'm changing the trans out and doing something about the engine..
Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

351 would b cheapest and room to really grow...
Old 09-02-2013, 07:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I beat the hell out of this engine/trans all the time because I know the idiot that built it did a hack job..
I took over 3 tenths of a second off my 1/4 mile time just by going back and adjusting things he half assed..
As long as it gets me to work/school til I can afford an el cheapo honda or something to use as a daily driver ill be happy. Once I can afford to tear into it, I will. Or winter.. whichever comes first, I'm not driving this thing in an ohio winter.

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 PM ----------

Quote:
351 would b cheapest and room to really grow...
That's my thoughts.. if I build a 300hp motor, ill get bored and want more power, build a 400hp motor, ill get bored.. and 400 is about the limit for a 302. 351 blocks are good to about 700 right?
My only thing is finding a good year 351, and a good injection top end for it
Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

351like 700hp or so...I'm buying a terminator Wednesday with 600rwhp...love the modular but I love my 302 and my uncle has a 69 mach 1 with a 351 with 600rwhp its sick also...
Old 09-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
351like 700hp or so...I'm buying a terminator Wednesday with 600rwhp...love the modular but I love my 302 and my uncle has a 69 mach 1 with a 351 with 600rwhp its sick also...
Right on, post up some pics of the termi when you get it man
Old 09-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I will for sure...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT