Irs swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #1

Region: Texas
Irs swap

I've always wanted to do an cobra IRS swap on my 88 gt but I always get negative reactions when I mention it to my brother and father. They say don't like it. They're traditional mustang guys who love drag racing so I can see why they don't like it. But I've also heard negative reviews about it saying the cobras irs is unreliable and to stick with a solid axle. What's your guys take on an IRS swap on a fox?
Jolvera_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 03:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolvera_92 View Post
I've always wanted to do an cobra IRS swap on my 88 gt but I always get negative reactions when I mention it to my brother and father. They say don't like it. They're traditional mustang guys who love drag racing so I can see why they don't like it. But I've also heard negative reviews about it saying the cobras irs is unreliable and to stick with a solid axle. What's your guys take on an IRS swap on a fox?
I hear the 03 and 04 cobras are known to have a clunking noise. I would say its a real expense considering the gain you get. Unless your racing around a track, or like speeding around unkept bumpy corners and roads I would say no don't do it. It's heavier, more to go wrong, expensive. Don't get me wrong the 04 cobra is my favorite car but I would never put a IRS in a ole five ohh.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Unfortunately I agree. Unless you are competing in road racing or as mentioned earlier you plan on hitting some twists and turns with unkept roads...... I think it's going to be a huge and expensive undertaking without enough return. In order to make the IRS almost bullet proof it takes a LOT of money in upgrades. Not to mention it's not just a simple bolt in swap to put it in a fox.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Not worth it...unless your getting real cheap and doing it yourself..if u want to get better handling go with panhard bar,torque arm,adj. Lcas,good rear shock,front coilovers,mm c/c plates,sub connects,and eliminate the ucas....handle like a dream...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduckz5.0 View Post
Not worth it...unless your getting real cheap and doing it yourself..if u want to get better handling go with panhard bar,torque arm,adj. Lcas,good rear shock,front coilovers,mm c/c plates,sub connects,and eliminate the ucas....handle like a dream...
Ok you got my attention. Eliminate the uppers? How? And what kind of cost?
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes...a panhard/torque arm set up eliminates uppers use and quad shock...and is better on the street if setup with shocks,springs,adjustable lcas...up front coilovers and cc plates and my car handles and comfortable...max motorsports can help u with spring rates to match front to rear....cost me with all brand new top of the line parts + subframes,strut tower brace...$3k with install of panhard/torque arm,subframes...I did rest...if I had patience and got parts individually I'm guessing $2k

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

I forgot I also got a mm steering shaft in that price...I went all out...lol
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

There is also the poor man's 3link..that's wat its called when u put adj.lcas and take just 1 uca out..
Old 09-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes...a panhard/torque arm set up eliminates uppers use and quad shock...and is better on the street if setup with shocks,springs,adjustable lcas...up front coilovers and cc plates and my car handles and comfortable...max motorsports can help u with spring rates to match front to rear....cost me with all brand new top of the line parts + subframes,strut tower brace...$3k with install of panhard/torque arm,subframes...I did rest...if I had patience and got parts individually I'm guessing $2k

---------- Post added at 11:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

I forgot I also got a mm steering shaft in that price...I went all out...lol
Already have subframe connectors, strut tower brace, lowering springs and new Koni shocks. So really just new the pan hard/torque arm setup I guess.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Adj. Lower control arms also...
Old 09-04-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Adj. Lower control arms also...
Lol. Yes. So I'm halfway there.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah ull love the handling and with adjustable lcas u can adjust for drag in 5minutes...u might have to change springs but not sure..call maximum moto...they r awesome and will give you great advice..
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT