Timing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Timing

So last time I was on I just purchased a white 92 lx black interior v8 car for a 900 needed a bottom end rebuild bone stock since then motor has bin rebuilt in my garage trick flow heads Anderson can victor jr intake proform 650 carb msd ignition 4.10 gears upr upper and lowers welds... Just started driving the car more and for a little 302 she gets up and goes. My friend set the timing think a little to advanced gonna bring it for so I get more low end I know the victor jr intake doesn't help!! But suggestions are nice
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue View Post
So last time I was on I just purchased a white 92 lx black interior v8 car for a 900 needed a bottom end rebuild bone stock since then motor has bin rebuilt in my garage trick flow heads Anderson can victor jr intake proform 650 carb msd ignition 4.10 gears upr upper and lowers welds... Just started driving the car more and for a little 302 she gets up and goes. My friend set the timing think a little to advanced gonna bring it for so I get more low end I know the victor jr intake doesn't help!! But suggestions are nice
Do you know what he set the timing at?

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post

Do you know what he set the timing at?
I believe 37-38 not sure
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I believe 37-38 not sure
Whoa that sounds oftely high. Mines set at about 13 degrees with 93 octane. If I were you either pick up a timing light from Harbor Freight, rent one from autozone, or take it to a reputable shop and have them check it. That's probably your best place to start at.

One a side note, sounds like a nice setup you got!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Whoa that sounds oftely high. Mines set at about 13 degrees with 93 octane. If I were you either pick up a timing light from Harbor Freight, rent one from autozone, or take it to a reputable shop and have them check it. That's probably your best place to start at.

One a side note, sounds like a nice setup you got!
I am carbed so I don't have a Tfi or computer so it's a mechanical advanced
Old 09-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Right, but shouldn't it be the same as a TFI distro? As far as degrees are concerned?

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Right, but shouldn't it be the same as a TFI distro? As far as degrees are concerned?
There is no chip so It already advanced
Old 09-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

There is no chip so It already advanced
I'm confused. Even without a chip, shouldn't the process for setting the timing be the same on a carbed as it is on an EFI?

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I'm confused. Even without a chip, shouldn't the process for setting the timing be the same on a carbed as it is on an EFI?
Not the same but similar. EFI has a little chip in the plug to the distributor that you remove to set timing and with carb I believe u disconnect the vacuum advance line. Been awhile since I did a carb setup.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post

Not the same but similar. EFI has a little chip in the plug to the distributor that you remove to set timing and with carb I believe u disconnect the vacuum advance line. Been awhile since I did a carb setup.
Oh of course, but a carbed distro shouldn't be set at 30+ degrees of timing. They should both be starting around 10. That's been my understanding

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Oh of course, but a carbed distro shouldn't be set at 30+ degrees of timing. They should both be starting around 10. That's been my understanding
Yes for Stock cam, I have mine set at 12 but have to run premium fuel if I bump it down to 10 I can run regular. Have set it as high as 15 without any loss of performance. But I don't think my cam is stock either.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes for Stock cam, I have mine set at 12 but have to run premium fuel if I bump it down to 10 I can run regular. Have set it as high as 15 without any loss of performance. But I don't think my cam is stock either.
Ah ok, I was thinking I was going crazy...lol I've got an aftermarket mild cam and i run 13. But I'm also supercharged and use 93 octane.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ah ok, I was thinking I was going crazy...lol I've got an aftermarket mild cam and i run 13. But I'm also supercharged and use 93 octane.
Sounds nice. I want a super or turbo setup. Don't even care if its new. Just want a power increase until I get my stroker going.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds nice. I want a super or turbo setup. Don't even care if its new. Just want a power increase until I get my stroker going.
Thanks. I picked up a long block off a friend of a friend that had ported E7's and a mild cam in it. Droped on a GT40 intake, a bigger throttle body, and 24lbs injectors. I got a kit for under 2K brand new from American Muscle a few years ago. I'm only pushing about 4 psi, but I'm slightly pulling on my buddys 01' Z28 with an aftermarket CAI. Eventually the plan is to upgrade the pulley and get around 8 psi. What kind of stroker you going with? 408? Lol

***resident gun idiot***
Old 09-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

No just a 347. The 408 kit wasn't on sale when I bought it. Although I might be tempted to sell it and buy one after its built.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

408 makes me drool my buddy just got one solid roller nasty engine I want to do a 351 over the winter

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

But mostly think the Vic jr is killing my low end considering going to an air gap

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT