Intake Solutions??? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #1

Region: Rhode Island
Intake Solutions???

Hi All,

I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. As mentioned before Iam building a Factory Five AC Cobra. It has a 1989 Mustang GT drive train, 5speed. I bought a lower and upper intake setup off a 2000 Ford Explorer. And Iam using the Explorer’s 65mm TB (used the ball off the 58mm Mustang TB) andExplorer’s injectors ( I think they are bigger than the Mustangs and bought theadapters to use the Mustang harness with them) as well.

My questions are:

Can I relocate the ACT sensor to the air intake tube between the TB and theMAF? I have seen this mentioned on a few sites. Has anyone experienced problems doing this?

I do not have the MAF from the Explorer. What should I use with this setup?? Isthe Mustangs too small? Should I go to a bone yard and hunt down an ExplorerMAF? Or buy aftermarket?

Seeing as the intake is a 2000 I am planning on removing and bypassing the EGRand blocking off the holes with a plate. I have an EGR spacer with the coolantline coming in from the heater tubes. Where should I send the coolant after itleaves the TB???

Thanks for all the help!!!
JJBroc

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2262.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	128248  
JJBroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBroc View Post
Hi All,

I have a few questions I hope you guys can help me with. As mentioned before Iam building a Factory Five AC Cobra. It has a 1989 Mustang GT drive train, 5speed. I bought a lower and upper intake setup off a 2000 Ford Explorer. And Iam using the Explorer’s 65mm TB (used the ball off the 58mm Mustang TB) andExplorer’s injectors ( I think they are bigger than the Mustangs and bought theadapters to use the Mustang harness with them) as well.

My questions are:

Can I relocate the ACT sensor to the air intake tube between the TB and theMAF? I have seen this mentioned on a few sites. Has anyone experienced problems doing this?

I do not have the MAF from the Explorer. What should I use with this setup?? Isthe Mustangs too small? Should I go to a bone yard and hunt down an ExplorerMAF? Or buy aftermarket?

Seeing as the intake is a 2000 I am planning on removing and bypassing the EGRand blocking off the holes with a plate. I have an EGR spacer with the coolantline coming in from the heater tubes. Where should I send the coolant after itleaves the TB???

Thanks for all the help!!!
JJBroc
Well for starters, sounds like an awesome project you got!

when I swaped a GT40 intake, I just drilled the holes to locate the coolant and air temp sensors. Your gonna get a better reading by putting them in the correct locations. But I have also heard of people putting it into the intake, however i dont have any experience with that. It sounds like you have a really nice build, so imo do it right the first time.

Secondly, the MAF will have to be calibrated to the same size injectors. They came with 19's just like the Mustang, so you should be fine using the one you have.

Thirdly, for the coolant issie, just run a hose from one side to the other, and bypass the EGR spacer. That's what I did as well. If you delete the EGR and your using the Mustang computer, your gonna want to get a tune too.

Lastly, keep us posted on the progress!

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #3

Region: Rhode Island
Thanks for the input! I just want to get this running and built right the first time like you stated, I will keep you posted! Thanks
JJBroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
No problem! I'd love yo own an A/C Cobra someday...... Good luck with the build!

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT