Need help on which wire harness/computer to use? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Need help on which wire harness/computer to use?

I'm purchasing a 331 stroker motor and tranny out of a 95 mustang GT. Motor and all accessories etc. now I will be putting it in a 88 mustang LX. Which wire harness and computer do I use? I will have both.
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybesma07 View Post
I'm purchasing a 331 stroker motor and tranny out of a 95 mustang GT. Motor and all accessories etc. now I will be putting it in a 88 mustang LX. Which wire harness and computer do I use? I will have both.
You'll need the fox computer and wiring harness but some on the sensors are different on the 95 5.0 don't know for sure tho
DustyStang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Your 88 if it is not a California emissions car it didn't come with a mass air flow. You'll need the entire sn95 from headlights to taillights wire harness including what is behind the dash with the pcm connected. And that's if you want to run MAF sensor. Wiring will be fun with some of the mods but you can leave out all the airbag crap.my car is also an 88
Krazy Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 01:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Horse View Post
Your 88 if it is not a California emissions car it didn't come with a mass air flow. You'll need the entire sn95 from headlights to taillights wire harness including what is behind the dash with the pcm connected. And that's if you want to run MAF sensor. Wiring will be fun with some of the mods but you can leave out all the airbag crap.my car is also an 88
Well I have a wire harness and computer out of a 90's fox body so I have mass air flow. I also have a plug and play pigtail they don't make anymore. I'll end up using the fox wire harness and computer but will get the wire harness tomorrow when I pick everything up from him just incase. Not sure I'm going to go as far as the wires behind the dash from the sn95. Not doing that much wiring. I'll be grabbing complete motor and everything under the hood to the after market motor mounts, tranny, center force clutch kit, drive shaft and may buy the 373 gears on top of it. I know I'll have to do work on the tranny to fit but have another one I'll use and probably sale this one.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Trans should be a T-5 or a T-45. If it's a T45 you will have to move your cross member back or get a set of brackets off of a 96^ Cobra. That will solve all the mount issues. The Fox harness is the best way to go as long as you have the whole harness. Your car is a speed density car and the wiring is different between the years. I've just done all that myself from the headlights to the taillights including the main part behind the dash.

---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ----------

Not going to lie. .. its a lot of work. But I'm the end its worth it
Old 09-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Trans should be a T-5 or a T-45. If it's a T45 you will have to move your cross member back or get a set of brackets off of a 96^ Cobra. That will solve all the mount issues. The Fox harness is the best way to go as long as you have the whole harness. Your car is a speed density car and the wiring is different between the years. I've just done all that myself from the headlights to the taillights including the main part behind the dash. ---------- Post added at 07:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 AM ---------- Not going to lie. .. its a lot of work. But I'm the end its worth it
Yeah actually there the t-5 in the 95 and the mounts aren't the problem it the input shaft is 5/8 longer and bell housing is different. It's not that hard to switch it to MAF. Especially with the pigtail I have. Put won't need it for this car. Have computer, wire harness from a 90's car. May be from a 93 cobra too. I also know all the about the speed density and MAF. What models have them and don't.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It's already bolted together right? Or at least it was I hope. Worst case swap in your stuff or your input shaft to that trans and your bell housing
Old 09-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The 88 it's going in is just a roller. I buy wrecked cars from auctions and part them out. Going to use parts of donor cars. The 88 LX 5.0 is wrecked though. Tranny and everything is together. You have to open up the tranny to take the input shaft off. I know a guy that repairs t-5's for 250 dollars. Have him do it and update it to world class parts in it or sale it and buy a tko. Or I can put my tremec t5 out of my 86 in it and rebuild the original tranny to my 86.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Mine was a roller also. The input shaft swap is easy just 4 bolts but you got to watch the bearing rollers cause they will fall out of place. I had to do that in my tremec t-5, I gave it to my dad to finish his 92GT.I picked up a mann s world class T-5 myself. You don't happen to have a bracket for the p/s&a/c that bold to the drivers side head laying around do you?
Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Use a mass air fox harness and computer. For the sn95 trans you all need to swap the bell, input shaft and clutch fork to fox style. Make sure you keep the sn95 stuff to sell though. Those pieces are not so common in good shape so a buyer should not be hard to find.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Use a mass air fox harness and computer. For the sn95 trans you all need to swap the bell, input shaft and clutch fork to fox style. Make sure you keep the sn95 stuff to sell though. Those pieces are not so common in good shape so a buyer should not be hard to find.
Yeah I will. Have plenty of MAF ad wire harness. Yeah figured out the part on the tranny and all. That's basically why I got the wire harness and computer to sale it. ---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------
Quote:
Mine was a roller also. The input shaft swap is easy just 4 bolts but you got to watch the bearing rollers cause they will fall out of place. I had to do that in my tremec t-5, I gave it to my dad to finish his 92GT.I picked up a mann s world class T-5 myself. You don't happen to have a bracket for the p/s&a/c that bold to the drivers side head laying around do you?
Yeah the input shaft is four bolts I know and it can be easy and hard. Can mess it up if not careful. Such as the bearing rollers. Lol I just sold it 3 weeks ago. I will have more soon. Literally sold everything I had of my parts cars. Just the prices are going up in auctions on these fox body's in the last couple months. Waiting for a wrecked 2011-2014 for the coyote motor. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1388017571.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	129818 Found this on a wrecked one. Why they don't make them like this anymore is my question. So much easier and would pay little more for it too.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT