ECM tuning, school me please - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Region: California
ECM tuning, school me please

first post, long time reader

I have a question about a custom tune

here is what I have

5.0 Explorer motor, with GT40P heads, Stock 1990 Mustang cam, 1990 EFI ECM/Ignition system, with a built C4 automatic
No cats, air pump, EGR, TAB, TAD

This motor is in a rock crawler used on closed course competition

Since this is not a street vehicle and does not need to comply with emissons I wanted to get a custom tune to deal with my trouble codes (Air Pump, EGR, TAB, TAD etc) I have tried the 3 resistor setup on my EGR, and still get EGR codes. I would like to eliminate all these codes.

ECMs i use
A9S: CA, 5 speedHas a jet chip, but i dont really notice any difference

A9L: FED 5 speed

8LD: CA 5 speed

I would also like to get rid of the VSS (i run a C4 and custom transfer case, no place for this. Is there anything else I can eliminate? (race vehicle only!!!)

So I see programmable chips like Bama? and others, would this help me

Does anyone actually re-program the stock ECM, (no external chip) to solve my problems

I would like to get rid of the following codes in my programming
EGR, TAB, TAD, NSS, VSS, Air Injection (left and right)

Im not interested in some high dollar aftermarket ECM system, but want to know what is the best way to deal with the stock ECM.

I have heared some getting a dyno tune, im curious about this but dont live near a city that offers these services (Reno Nv?)

my only performance upgrades are CAI, no cats, exhaust,
keeping stock mustang cam, because rig need to idle smooth for crawling, using stock Explorer MAF

Thanks for schooling me on ECM programming

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

by eliminating these codes, will the vehicle run better, are thses codes causing my engine to run in a limp mode? closed or open loop?

Are there any other sensors i can eliminate with programming?
02? Baro? ACT? ECT? etc? I know i need most of that for proper running, but thought i would ask

my sport is surrounded by guys with LS1 and LS3s, so I am a ford guy stuck in a GM world, and they cant help me. I wish I had their HP!!!
b2krawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT