Builds - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Builds

So, I was thinking of doing a 400hp/400tq daily driver. Originally I was going to do a 306, then thought I might as well do a 331 or 347, now I'm thinking maybe a 351. I want it to be street friendly (meaning as good on gas as possible) also I was hoping not to cut up the hood. I want a stock sleeper. It's an 86 hatch t5, currently stock. I'm gonna have some cash hopefully soon so I'm thinking my budget for total car will be between 10-12k unless I can talk the wife into more. Let me know your thoughts, suggestions, etc. oh yeah, only NA no turbos or juice.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Syke View Post
...I'm thinking my budget for total car will be between 10-12k...
Sounds more like a great down payment on a new GT...there's that hp you wanted, LOL! Just kidding, with that much budget, I'd go 351. I put a stock 351W-4v in a '66 and got 25mpg. That motor threw that little 2,600lb car all over the road, as it should your Fox.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Well, like I said that is budget for whole build, motor, paint and body, suspension, gears, exhaust, interior, etc. I don't want to skimp, but would like to spend less if possible, but 10k seems like a pretty average cost to do all those things, considering parts and labor. What would need to change to do a 351 swap. I also would be going carbureted. From what I've read a 351 seems like a more reliable build compared to a 331/347. Thanks for the info, keep it coming.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Best bang for your buck? Stock motor, ported gt40s, and an s trim. 400rwp all day, and you'll retain your stock drivability. This setup can be done for 2000-2500 if you buy smart.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Eyes View Post
Best bang for your buck? Stock motor, ported gt40s, and an s trim. 400rwp all day, and you'll retain your stock drivability. This setup can be done for 2000-2500 if you buy smart.
Very true, and then put the rest of the money into suspension and getting the car looking all purty if 400whp is all you want. Hell go find a lower mileage Explorer/Mountaineer engine out of a late 90s unit which already comes with the P heads and GT40 intake. Swap the cam out with a stock HO cam or something like a TFS1, do the valve springs and drop it in with a supercharger.

And if you are buying a 408 longblock ready to go from a good shop that's going to be $8k right there before shipping. You will then only have $2k-$4k for the rest of the car which will barely get you a driveline that can take it if you buy smart. Not sure what sort of shape the rest of the car is in right meow.

And I'm not trying to discourage you at all, just setting some realistic numbers on the table. You would get to your 400whp goal with the Exploder motor and S trim and still have plenty of money left over which is why I think that option is very good for the money you want to spend.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT