Interior resto - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Interior resto

So my interior has black door handles and bezels, black window cranks, etc. any good suggestions for refinishing these parts and various other plastic parts?
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yep, do what I did and find a good black interior out of a parts car and swap that in.

Went from this:

To stripped and cleaned the **** out of:

Pile of stuff from a 95 V6 parts car:

To this:

As far as the bezels and handles etc... I bought new bezels from LRS, the handles were from the same parts car and the cranks... I'd say get from a parts car as well. Handles are super easy to swap out, just take a sharp bit and drill out the rivet which takes literally 5 seconds per rivet and install the new handles with a bolt and locking nut.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Looks good !!
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Is there a write up on uninstalling the interior?
theweekday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

I used Google search and did a good bit of forum searching on the corral. Everything comes out really easy though. There is a badass dash removal thread with step by step and pics on the corral. I'll have to get the link when I'm not on my phone.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

My 86 interior in black is EXTREMELY hard to find though not like the 95 and up, and my bezels and handles etc are in good shape, not cracked or anything. But your interior after is definitely sweet.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Hmm... crap a fox and a 4 eye no less... Honestly there is a lot of aftermarket stuff being made for the 87-93 cars nowadays. Have you considered updating to the 87-89/90-93 interior?

Old 09-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Actually I hadn't really considered that, I'm trying to stay as stock looking as possible and I like the pre 87 dashes. ( which is another issue, since mine has some broken clips). My goal was to build a sleeper daily driver ( or at least weekend car), I would like to keep as much stock as possible, so when somebody pulls up at a light they think "oh, it's just a nice stock old f-body", and then they are scratching their heads when I lean with the right foot. The only reason I'm not looking for more power ( my other thread you were replying to) is because I was planning on driving everywhere in it, including vacation trips across country etc....I digress, I've found some good parts on eBay, but the cash is not quite in yet so I'm trying to plan as much as I can while I wait. My seats need work on mechanicals, and all interior needs to change to black, I figured I could find someone to reupholster the seats and I could put them on new frames. Or just buy some new ones. Depending on availability and cost. That's why I was looking at reprinting some of the interior pieces that aren't damaged, just showing their age, to save some dough and cuz they are hard to find. Let me know.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Syke View Post
Actually I hadn't really considered that, I'm trying to stay as stock looking as possible and I like the pre 87 dashes. ( which is another issue, since mine has some broken clips). My goal was to build a sleeper daily driver ( or at least weekend car), I would like to keep as much stock as possible, so when somebody pulls up at a light they think "oh, it's just a nice stock old f-body", and then they are scratching their heads when I lean with the right foot. The only reason I'm not looking for more power ( my other thread you were replying to) is because I was planning on driving everywhere in it, including vacation trips across country etc....I digress, I've found some good parts on eBay, but the cash is not quite in yet so I'm trying to plan as much as I can while I wait. My seats need work on mechanicals, and all interior needs to change to black, I figured I could find someone to reupholster the seats and I could put them on new frames. Or just buy some new ones. Depending on availability and cost. That's why I was looking at reprinting some of the interior pieces that aren't damaged, just showing their age, to save some dough and cuz they are hard to find. Let me know.
well I hear a supercharger is a great way to make crazy power while retaining daily drivability and fuel mileage. Keep the tall gears too. My next plan. I love my notch. Think I might do that to it.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post
well I hear a supercharger is a great way to make crazy power while retaining daily drivability and fuel mileage. Keep the tall gears too. My next plan. I love my notch. Think I might do that to it.
Id actually still get 3.73s with a s trim on a 5.0 for some help on the low end. I still got 20+ mpg with those gears in my cobra. 70 mph is right around 2k rpm.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

You can also use a spray on plastic dye. A friend used this to convert his all white fox interior to black. It came out great with no issues. I recently helped a friend do the same to his srt8 Charger and it looked great.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Id actually still get 3.73s with a s trim on a 5.0 for some help on the low end. I still got 20+ mpg with those gears in my cobra. 70 mph is right around 2k rpm.
oh I'm sure it would be really fun with 3:73 bit myself personally, I want a reason to install the 200mph rear end kit and buy Z Rated grips. I like fast. Been up to 135mph in my buddy's new 5.0 I need to beat that. Think my 347 with a set of twins would do it on 3:08?
Old 09-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #13
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Guys,you just hijacked this mans thread. Please stay on topic or start a new thread. Thanks for understanding.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks ddtcm any chance you know the product name or pn? That's kinda what I was looking for, somebody's experience with a good product.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry man. Hey. Get a plastic primer and flat or gloss black spray. Scuff the parts with a scotchbrite and prime then paint. Works good everytime.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #16

Region: New York
For the radio bezel I used a sand blaster, yes a sand blaster from amazon (20 bucks) and a bag of fine sand from Home Depot, cranked the air compressor to 125psi and went to town. It gave it a small textures look bit everyone likes it. I painted it with that paint made for vinyl and plastic (autozone)

I bought a carpet from lmr or AM a year ago tried to install it, either it's brain surgery or I'm full retarded. The carpet could not have been made for my model.
Patrickandberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks all.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickandberry View Post
For the radio bezel I used a sand blaster, yes a sand blaster from amazon (20 bucks) and a bag of fine sand from Home Depot, cranked the air compressor to 125psi and went to town. It gave it a small textures look bit everyone likes it. I painted it with that paint made for vinyl and plastic (autozone) I bought a carpet from lmr or AM a year ago tried to install it, either it's brain surgery or I'm full retarded. The carpet could not have been made for my model.
glass bead is also good. Way less abrasive than sand. I used one at work. For more than just work. Lol. As for the carpet??? I got a set of one piece headlights from mrbodykit and had to cut grind and everything to get them in and they still cracked on final installation. Some things are just not meant to fit.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #19

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post
glass bead is also good. Way less abrasive than sand. I used one at work. For more than just work. Lol. As for the carpet??? I got a set of one piece headlights from mrbodykit and had to cut grind and everything to get them in and they still cracked on final installation. Some things are just not meant to fit.
Yea I first used the black diamond material medium corse. Then used fine sand it smoothed everything out.

Wheeee do you get the glass bead?
Patrickandberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT