Longtube headers and throttle body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #1

Region: North Carolina
Longtube headers and throttle body

I'm thinking about going with bbk headers and 70 mm throttle body for my 94 mustang gt. How much horsepower gain can I expect with this combo? Is 70 mm good for NA?
Wmp240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2013, 12:01 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Tuned probably about 32hp
And yeah should be fine.
MidnightBlueGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If your not F/I, skip the throttle.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You'll gain 10-15 but loose torque on a stock 5.0....if u do that at least bump timing up and definitely 93 octane...tune for it would be good but those damn 94 computers are touchy...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
To my knowledge mine only has long tubes. I run 89...should I be running higher octane?
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

90fox 93 is always better especially if you bump your timing so it doesn't start pinging....If your flowing more air in and out of motor with a tb n headers than I suggest it to not loose the torque....

---------- Post added at 10:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

The horsepower u gain with tb and headers is not felt until top end...you will deal the loss of low end torque in pedal...
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I think it's stock tb, def is intake/air box. But it does buck/spit hard acceleration. Thx I might try next tank. I'm put fuel cleaner last tank and this one. There's a demon in there somewhere have had little issue since had. Runs better tgan when first got though. I normally just start to pull from 2nd after a farely easy accel 1st to 2nd shift. Even with bucking at 70 pretty quick
Old 09-22-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Change your fuel filter...
Old 09-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Prob year and half old? Prob good think
Old 09-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Stock TB is 60mm and you do not need to upgrade it until you do the heads/intake or a power adder. BBK longtubes are a good upgrade, just make sure you have a matching BBK pipe.

what I have had on all my 5.0s when they were in the bolt on state:

-FULL exhaust
-Gears
-Subframes/suspension
-CAI
-Pullies
-Shifter
-Good wheel/tire setup

That on a bolt on 5.0 or PI 2V is good for a 13 second car with an average driver. Also at this point if the injectors have never been done they should be. I remember when I did them on my 95 they were practically falling apart and that was back in 2007... ALSO, you need to replace the rubber fuel lines in the engine bay with stainless. It is a known issue that these can rupture on you. Russell makes the fittings you need for a 94/95 car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Stock TB is 60mm and you do not need to upgrade it until you do the heads/intake or a power adder. BBK longtubes are a good upgrade, just make sure you have a matching BBK pipe. what I have had on all my 5.0s when they were in the bolt on state: -FULL exhaust -Gears -Subframes/suspension -CAI -Pullies -Shifter -Good wheel/tire setup That on a bolt on 5.0 or PI 2V is good for a 13 second car with an average driver. Also at this point if the injectors have never been done they should be. I remember when I did them on my 95 they were practically falling apart and that was back in 2007... ALSO, you need to replace the rubber fuel lines in the engine bay with stainless. It is a known issue that these can rupture on you. Russell makes the fittings you need for a 94/95 car.
I pretty much have that setup besides gears and pulleys I heard pulleys can make it overheat? And to all those who run gears how's driving on the highway/interstate I feel like my cobra runs at like 2000 rpm now I feel like 410 would reduce drive ability a lot any advice fellas?
94CobraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Your 95 Cobra has 3.08s from the factory unless someone did them before you had the car. At 70mph you would be right around 2250 rpm with 3.73s which is the gear I recommend for a Cobra. Pullies will not make it overheat, whoever told you that had a shot cooling system if it happened to them. I had BBK aluminum underdrives on my 95 Cobra for 7 years with 0 issues. I didn't put the alt pulley on and I don't recommend it. Gets you all of 1hp MAYBE and might cause charging issues. With the stock alt pulley on I had 0 issues even with a pair of 12" subs in the trunk.

After all the bolt ons/suspension your next stop is a fuel system and a Vortech S trim. On a Cobra that is good for 425whp all day and a ridiculously fun car.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Your 95 Cobra has 3.08s from the factory unless someone did them before you had the car. At 70mph you would be right around 2250 rpm with 3.73s which is the gear I recommend for a Cobra. Pullies will not make it overheat, whoever told you that had a shot cooling system if it happened to them. I had BBK aluminum underdrives on my 95 Cobra for 7 years with 0 issues. I didn't put the alt pulley on and I don't recommend it. Gets you all of 1hp MAYBE and might cause charging issues. With the stock alt pulley on I had 0 issues even with a pair of 12" subs in the trunk. After all the bolt ons/suspension your next stop is a fuel system and a Vortech S trim. On a Cobra that is good for 425whp all day and a ridiculously fun car.
ok thank you that's about exactly where it runs someone must have done it I didn't think they had though because and older lady had the car first it was all stock and cherry then my dad's friend had it and all he did was cai and hurst shifter was it an option from the factory or were they all 3:08 I might have to look into the pillows but probably not the s trim I'm not a big fan of centrifugal super chargers
94CobraUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT