1983 supercharger help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:20 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
1983 supercharger help

So I just bought my first car and I was toying with the idea of getting a supercharger..the thing is my car is carbed since it's a 83 any ideas of a supercharger that would work? It's a 1983 5.0 GLX
1983_mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
You can get or piece together kits for carbed cars. Or swap it over to EFI like an 87-93 and run one of those kits.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

How much would that be?

---------- Post added at 07:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Like a real good one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

If its 1983 stock you are looking at way more than just a supercharger for a viable performance vehicle.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #5

Yeah it's 100% stock other then the short heads. i want to see what I'm going to get my self into with supercharging it. Or maybe swap out the motor by next year I haven't fully decided what my best bet would be...
Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Imo best idea would be a nasty 351

***resident gun idiot***
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983_mustang View Post
Yeah it's 100% stock other then the short heads. i want to see what I'm going to get my self into with supercharging it. Or maybe swap out the motor by next year I haven't fully decided what my best bet would be...
Don't even think of a supercharger right now because the rest of the car needs gone through. Bolts ons, suspension overhaul, driveline, whatever else and then you will at LEAST want to drop a newer 5.0 roller into it. I'd grab a parts car and just upgrade it all to EFI honestly. Then maybe think about supercharging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
Imo best idea would be a nasty 351
Same deal with this, he's going to need to upgrade everything else first. And a properly done 351 stroker is going to be upwards of $6k minimum and that's doing most stuff yourself.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:59 AM   #8

I was thinking about that. My dad had a 351 in his Torino but it was flooded. I like the motor a lot I just want to find a good one or maybe build from the block up.. The best I can see to get one so far is from eBay I don't know if it's good to get a motor from eBay or not..
Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Depends who the seller is and if there is a warranty. Unless its a known good shop like Fordstrokers or someone then no, stay away. You need to probably stop and do some research and seeing as this is your first car I'm guessing you are 17 or 18. I'd just drive it and enjoy it. Putting a bigger HP motor in that car will last for all of about a week maybe before you twist/break something on the car like that glass jaw transmission or the fact that a 1983 convertible is a death trap waiting to happen without proper chassis bracing.

You're looking at about $2k-$3k minimum to get the whole thing up to the point of dropping a decent power motor into it and that's doing it all yourself without paying a mechanic. Double that price if you can't do your own work.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:09 AM   #10

I mean your right on that it is a first car. This was for curiosity if I were to keep the car it's a nice car I love it but I probably won't have it for long. I am 17 with some experience under the hood. But ill probably stay with get the car to look like a real classic and selling it for a good 5k since I only paid 2k for it. The next car ill probably do something to it
Old 10-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Don't even think of a supercharger right now because the rest of the car needs gone through. Bolts ons, suspension overhaul, driveline, whatever else and then you will at LEAST want to drop a newer 5.0 roller into it. I'd grab a parts car and just upgrade it all to EFI honestly. Then maybe think about supercharging.

Same deal with this, he's going to need to upgrade everything else first. And a properly done 351 stroker is going to be upwards of $6k minimum and that's doing most stuff yourself.
Yeah to do it right you'd want to upgrade the rest of the car (as with any build). And a stroker 351 would cost a bit. But doesn't have to be a stroker. I dropped a mild 351 in my 94' F150 and was running 13's. Cost me maybe 1500 ( I got the motor from a guy who totaled his fox and parted it out).

I still like the idea of swapping to efi. And a parts/donor car would be easiest. Then slap on a Vortech!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 10-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #12

Wow not bad that's pretty good maybe ill consider it in my next car
Old 10-02-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1983_mustang View Post
Wow not bad that's pretty good maybe ill consider it in my next car
Guy needed the money and sold me the engine for a grand, which was a steal! It had ported heads, mild cam (don't remember the specs), and a lightning intake with some other things I'm sure I'm forgetting (this was 10+ years ago). With the tune, it was a sleeper for sure. Loved that truck, wish I still had it.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 10-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #14

Ah man I already have a feeling I'm going to be attached to this car but hopefully my next car will be as good if not better

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT