trans/driveshaft - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
trans/driveshaft

Well, this was in another post too, but I drove my car to my farthest job earlier last week. When I got on highway felt like shaking at 70+. Consensus wheel out of balance. What I'm nervous about is when I parked smoke came out of my shifter. I knew what would be becsuse did this just before or after replaced clutch kit and trans. Did not do again till other day. Trans fluid is dripping down onto exhaust and smoking/burning off. It is dripping from where the driceshaft meets the transmision. On the metal just behind the rubber grommet/seal whatever is you can see a bubble of fluid. Seemed to be more severe that day, probably because of highway use. No puddles under car, just dripping down. What can cause this should I be worried? No problems shifting up or down. No probs other than hesitation/ bucking have always had under harder acceleration.
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Most likely tailshaft seal. Fairly easy to replace. The thing you may want to check is if your driveshaft is out if balance/not tight. This could cause that vibration and premature wear on that tailshaft seal.
Adam302gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Real easy and check the yoke for a grove in it from driveshaft being off balance...or when you installed tranny back in it wasn't installed straight so your driveshaft yoke is not true so its ruining seal fast...those are good reasons for your vibration...
jduckz5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Another good rue of thumb to remember is to mark the driveshaft where it is bolted to the rearend so that you bolt the driveshaft back the same way it was. I have seen this cause it to vibrate and wear the rear seal out in the tail shaft housing. Rear seal is easy to replace though.

Good luck!!
TheBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
+1 with the previous 3 comments. Sounds like rear seal on tranny.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Sounds good. Don't know if ill attempt self. But seal makes sense. Not leaking a lot I know of unless spraying a lot when driving. Pretty much bubbles and drips down on x/h pipe whatever I have. Driveshaft does look old and original. Maybe a good excuse to upgrade . Is an aluminum one worth it if I barely have any mods and have no intention of supercharger/turbo/nitrous?
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT