Motor swap? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-14-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Motor swap?

So I'm being told now that the 331 stroker motor I bought out of a 95 mustang. The motor, bell housing and tranny will fit right into my 87 mustang. First I was told it would need the fox body bellhouse and tranny or shorten the tail shaft on the 95 tranny and use the fox body bellhouse. What's your thoughts. Makes since if I use it all it should fit right in. Yes I know the motor will fit for sure. There all the same base motor. It's the other half.
Sybesma07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
SN95s used their own bellhousing and input shaft, the rest of the transmission is identical size wise. You will need:

-Fox bell
-Fox clutch fork
-Fox input shaft

Input shaft swap is very easy. DO NOT get lowballed on the SN95 shaft when you go to sell it either, they are rare and sought after.

Also, are you SURE that its a SN95 trans setup? I had a fox setup in my 95 because I had a TKO and they don't come in SN95 lengths. Or if this is still a stock T-5,

1-A stock T-5 is not usually going to live very long behind a good 331 (there are some factory freaks but its rare)

2-Are you sure it isn't already fox swapped since its much easier to just do a fox swap sometimes than it is to source a SN95 bell/input if the car did not have it originally when the previous owner got it.

I've seen some crazy ish on cars I've looked at and owned which is why I ask.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I bought this 331 stroker and tranny and all from a sn95 and I helped pulled it out. It is a sn95 tanny and bell housing. The bell housing has the 5.0 stamped on the top of the housing. Don't know how that tranny lasted behind it either. If driven well its fine. Now a guy that builds a lot of these and swap motors a lot in his life says as long as I have the motor, bell housing and tranny all one will slide right in. Now if I had a t5 and a fox bell housing I would have to change the input shaft. He says if I have the sn95 bell housing then that makes up for the 3/8 difference. Has to work. It all worked in the the sn95 car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah it worked in the SN95 car, it will be too long for your fox. That's why the Fox bell and input shaft is shorter.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I have a gforce sN-95 input at home ... How much could I get out of it ?
Old 10-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Not sure what the G-force one goes for. I pulled the T-5 out of my 95 Cobra and installed a TKO. In hindsight I should have left the T-5 in there, best shifting transmission I have EVER used and I'm honestly thinking of putting an A5 behind my 4.6L.... blasphemy I know.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah it worked in the SN95 car, it will be too long for your fox. That's why the Fox bell and input shaft is shorter.
Yeah I agree and have always thought that too. This guy has done it many times. He just swapped a 97 cobra motor in a fox. It is only 3/8 longer. I'll talk to him again. I said the same to him and he said it is 3/8 longer input shaft put the bell housing makes up the difference if you use the sn95 bell housing. Doesn't hurt to just find a fox body bell housing and input shaft anyways. Just thought it would save me money. All this time I was getting rid of those bell housings
Old 10-17-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

You can use the SN95 bell and trans as is... but then your DS will be too long and the tailshaft will not mount up to the crossmember properly. Also make sure you get a fox clutch fork for a fox bell. They are specific to fox/SN95.

I will probably NOT do an A5 in my car simply because I can rebuild my t45 my damn self for under half the cost and still get the smooth single rail shift setup of the t45 and they have front plates to get rid of the goddamn integrated bells in the t45 and the 3650 meow. This also means you can now mount a t45 or 3650 right up to a pushrod motor if you want.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT