Transmission - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Transmission

So my trany was kinda lagy the other day well I did a trany service and no if I step on it my car just revs up but if I ease into it my car shifts just fine but is a little iffy down shifting my friend told me it was my torque converter has anyone had this problem
Augustusjak12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustusjak12 View Post
So my trany was kinda lagy the other day well I did a trany service and no if I step on it my car just revs up but if I ease into it my car shifts just fine but is a little iffy down shifting my friend told me it was my torque converter has anyone had this problem
mine kinda did the same thing,(AOD-E) I had to manually shift it to get going...try checking the fluid and filter, smell the fluid to see if it smells burned. take it to a tranny shop and let them drive it and ride with them and talk to them as they do it to make sure they ain't lying just to get you to spend 1500 to rebuild...all mine needed was a converter so I upgraded to a 2100 stall it cost me around 600$ total
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
What sort of service? Did they fully drain the trans and flush the converter too or was it just a drain/fill of the pan? Could be any number of things but it sounds like the converter isn't doing its job as was said. The converter is just a big fat clutch when it boils down to it.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #4

See I did the service myself and it didn't smell burnt but I didn't drain the converter I bought a new on so I'll see if that works
Old 10-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustusjak12 View Post
See I did the service myself and it didn't smell burnt but I didn't drain the converter I bought a new on so I'll see if that works
How many miles are on it? It's not wise to flush high mileage automatics when the fluid hasn't been changed for a long long time. If you want to change tranny fluid then you should do it every 30 thousand miles not at 30 thousand and then at 120 thousand. The clutch packs wear out and there material floats around and acts as friction material, if it was broader line black when you changed it then that's most likely your problem. Otherwise it's the torque converter.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
How many miles are on it? It's not wise to flush high mileage automatics when the fluid hasn't been changed for a long long time. If you want to change tranny fluid then you should do it every 30 thousand miles not at 30 thousand and then at 120 thousand. The clutch packs wear out and there material floats around and acts as friction material, if it was broader line black when you changed it then that's most likely your problem. Otherwise it's the torque converter.
Well I work at a shop and I looked it up for my car and it said at 90000 miles and I have almost 92 but the fluid wasn't black it was still red so hopefully I'm gonna replace the converter this weekend
Old 10-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
What you are talking about is a transmission back flush not a converter flush and a trans drain/fill like I said. And no, the whole transmission back flush should not be done.

Flushing the converter is a simple trick that ppl who don't have converters with drain plugs use to get all the old cruddy fluid out. You drain the trans, do the filter and re-fill it. Then you pull the fluid return line off the trans cooler and throw it in a bucket. Start the car, put it in D with the wheels chocked/brake on and have 2 buddies with you. Buddy 1 starts pouring fresh fluid in through the trans dipstick while buddy sits in the car with his foot on the brake just for safety and to kill it as soon as you say. Keep adding fluid until clean fluid is dumping into the bucket. Shut the car off, hook everything back up and fill the rest of the way until the level is where it should be on the trans dipstick.

This is how I have to flush my Expy's converter every 30-50k or so.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
What you are talking about is a transmission back flush not a converter flush and a trans drain/fill like I said. And no, the whole transmission back flush should not be done.

Flushing the converter is a simple trick that ppl who don't have converters with drain plugs use to get all the old cruddy fluid out. You drain the trans, do the filter and re-fill it. Then you pull the fluid return line off the trans cooler and throw it in a bucket. Start the car, put it in D with the wheels chocked/brake on and have 2 buddies with you. Buddy 1 starts pouring fresh fluid in through the trans dipstick while buddy sits in the car with his foot on the brake just for safety and to kill it as soon as you say. Keep adding fluid until clean fluid is dumping into the bucket. Shut the car off, hook everything back up and fill the rest of the way until the level is where it should be on the trans dipstick.

This is how I have to flush my Expy's converter every 30-50k or so.
Ok I didn't know that I'll try that then

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT