painting tips. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
painting tips.

Over the winter I plan on painting my 88 gt convertible. I've been looking at painting DVDs and guides. I'm going for full color change from red to blue door jams and trunk line. Ill leave the engine bay to a shop. I will take my time and try my best to do the job right. Anybody have any tips on prep and online stores to buy the best paint for a decent price? I want a nice paint job with a couple clear coats. Not the all in one paint or one stage. Do I keep the top up and mask it off or drop the top and mask the open part of the car( from the end of the top to the top of my windshield? Any and all advise is welcome
88GHOSTFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GHOSTFOX View Post
Over the winter I plan on painting my 88 gt convertible. I've been looking at painting DVDs and guides. I'm going for full color change from red to blue door jams and trunk line. Ill leave the engine bay to a shop. I will take my time and try my best to do the job right. Anybody have any tips on prep and online stores to buy the best paint for a decent price? I want a nice paint job with a couple clear coats. Not the all in one paint or one stage. Do I keep the top up and mask it off or drop the top and mask the open part of the car( from the end of the top to the top of my windshield? Any and all advise is welcome
There used to be a guy on here named 4eyes, I haven't seen him around since he sold his fox but he was real knowable when it came to paint, I will try and pm you what he told me, but I painted my door witch was a small job. Check your messages.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
My dad paints cars am boats in his spare time he has Been painting since 77 he said
Keep the top up
Get the masking plastic that makes it so it it won't flake off the plastic
Wash car really good first
Take fine scotch bright pad dull every thing up
If you have any other questions pm me and I'll ask him and get back to you ASAP
He said the more he knows like if you have to prime it and if you have body work the more info he can give you
badsheep5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT