No check engine light? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
PhilDladu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Boucherville
Region: Canada
Posts: 18
No check engine light?

Is it possible I have no check engine light on my dashboard? I have a 1991 5.0 lx mustang imported from cali (usa), and i dont see any check engine light when i turn the key on 'accessories'. If so, how could i read my codes with the 'flashing check engine light' method ?
PhilDladu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Frenchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton
Region: Canada
Posts: 100
Ils ont retirer les bulbs just dismount the dash and just put backs new bulbs
Frenchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
91MustangNSB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wayne
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 91
How do you take the dash off ?
91MustangNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-31-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
You don' take the dash out to remove the cluster, just unscrew a few screws around the bezel, pop it off, remove any wiring, unbolt the cluster, unhook the plugs/speedo cable and change the bulbs. Install in reverse order.

And yes your bulb is burnt out.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Frenchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton
Region: Canada
Posts: 100
To remove the dash u got two screws close to windshield and then remove l' affair de plastic juste en bas du sterring weel just pull it gently i ll come off and u got screws and u ll be good !
Frenchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Crazy Canadiens...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Frenchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton
Region: Canada
Posts: 100
Lol !!! Ur right about that !!! Haha
Frenchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
351stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Pas, Mb
Region: Canada
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Crazy Canadiens...
yes we are. But we all dont mix our english and french in one sentence. Lol.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dion11197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 829
I've heard I Spanglish but never seen or heard of frenglish! Lol
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Its all that Tim Hortons getting him all riled up. Of course right after I left my old base they got a Tim Hortons. In Delaware of all places...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Frenchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton
Region: Canada
Posts: 100
Lol ! I ll try to make sure i wont do it again haha !
Btw i need a new tranny t5 ! It is suck , they r a lots of used t5 out there , do u have any ways to check them out if they r good ? I am taking about t5 all ready removed from car ! Tanks
Frenchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
No real way to check to see if the trans is good or not already out of the car. They are all over the place, you want a World Class T-5 not a Non World class.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Frenchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton
Region: Canada
Posts: 100
World class its a 1992 ! Maybe i should just buy a new one with garranty ! They r 1900$ i dont know if its worth it r not ! Its 900$ just to rebuilt mine at a proffesional place ! And the new one its built stronger ! What would u do ?
Frenchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
$1900 for a T-5... lol do you get a reacharound included in that price at least? **** $1900... at that point spend a little more and get you an A5 from Astro...

And no, a new WC T-5 it will be no stronger than your rebuilt one.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Frenchstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Edmonton
Region: Canada
Posts: 100
Ok tks ! I just dont know yet what is good r not . It s just nice to get good advice , in that way
I wont spend money for nothing ! MERCI BEAUCOUP ! Lol
Frenchstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
351stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Pas, Mb
Region: Canada
Posts: 443
If ur gonna spend the money get a T-56. Man i have been killing for another gear especially when i am out in the hiway. Which seems to be quite a bit with my stang. Its got the most power and when im not on the pedal on the hiway gets the best fuel mileage in my driveway. Well, until this afternoon. We bought a Saturn VUE XE AWD. Fully loaded, price was right for a winter vehicle since we are both working now. :/ a saturn *shaking head*
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Just realize that if you have a Cobra T-56 your final drive ratio is not anymore than a 01-04 GT 5 speed. 6th gear in a Terminator is .62, so is 5th in a 3650 equipped GT. You have to buy a wide ratio Magnum to get the .50 final 6th gear. The Astro A5 actually has a deeper 5th gear overdrive at .59 than the Termi or 01-04 GTs do.

Or just do a built 4R70w with a 600-700hp turbo modular with 3.31 gears, 28" tall ET Streets and a .67 overdrive and cruise your *** off at 1800 rpm.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Varasios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Crazy Canadiens...
"Canadians"

Tim Hortons kills Dunkin Donuts
Varasios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
351stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Pas, Mb
Region: Canada
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Just realize that if you have a Cobra T-56 your final drive ratio is not anymore than a 01-04 GT 5 speed. 6th gear in a Terminator is .62, so is 5th in a 3650 equipped GT. You have to buy a wide ratio Magnum to get the .50 final 6th gear. The Astro A5 actually has a deeper 5th gear overdrive at .59 than the Termi or 01-04 GTs do. Or just do a built 4R70w with a 600-700hp turbo modular with 3.31 gears, 28" tall ET Streets and a .67 overdrive and cruise your *** off at 1800 rpm.
lol. Yes. Again i been schooled.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #20
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Honestly for my money I would do the A5 vs the Magnum. Lighter, cheaper, direct bolt in, nice deep overdrive and SMOOTH shifts. No Mustang transmission shifts as smooth as T-5 and that is just fact. Well, except an auto lol.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
351stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Pas, Mb
Region: Canada
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Honestly for my money I would do the A5 vs the Magnum. Lighter, cheaper, direct bolt in, nice deep overdrive and SMOOTH shifts. No Mustang transmission shifts as smooth as T-5 and that is just fact. Well, except an auto lol.
will it handle 400+hp?
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
There are multiple levels of A5 but even the weakest one will do 400whp no problem. The toughest one is rated to 600whp/575rwtq IIRC. After that level you really should be going automatic regardless of what trans you have.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
351stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Pas, Mb
Region: Canada
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
There are multiple levels of A5 but even the weakest one will do 400whp no problem. The toughest one is rated to 600whp/575rwtq IIRC. After that level you really should be going automatic regardless of what trans you have.
sigh. Another one telling me the least wanted thing i wanna hear....."automatic". So u think with my Stroker i should just use my auto? U mean i plan on making 450. I got a real raunchy cam from AFM. An N-81. Prob have to use AFR 205's and something like a Victor or Systemax II, 38lb injectors, 90mm mass air, 80mm t body. I think its gonna be a pig but make an assload of hp and tq. What u think Scotty? Should i ditch my cam for something less aggressive? I will likely daily drive it for a couple months a year in the summer and here and there. We only have 4 or 5 decent months to drive our cars here.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
If you want to win in straight line races from stoplights or at a track, stick with the auto. I'd recommend a 4r70w with a forward manual valve body and a brake.

If you are going to street drive it and just enjoy it and like the stick shift, I'd get the A5 and roll with that. Costwise it'll be about a wash between the two. A5 and a great clutch will be about $2500. A good 4R will run you around $500, Silverfox FMVB with a brake is $600 IIRC, good triple disc stall is $600-$1000 and the shifter/misc stuff to get it in will bring you up to around the same price point.

So its really all up to what you want to do and what YOUR preference is. At 450whp a stick shift will do just fine. At the 600+ level any stick is going to have issues be it the clutch, fluid starvation, missing a shift at 7K rpm and blowing all the teeth off 3rd gear etc...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Screaming Mach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 857
or just shift like this lol




Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Varasios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 167
That was insane! I like.
Varasios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:39 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Well that was bat**** crazy. Completely badass and obviously purposely built to be the fastest stick shift. Would have been faster with a PowerGlide though.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
351stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Pas, Mb
Region: Canada
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
If you want to win in straight line races from stoplights or at a track, stick with the auto. I'd recommend a 4r70w with a forward manual valve body and a brake. If you are going to street drive it and just enjoy it and like the stick shift, I'd get the A5 and roll with that. Costwise it'll be about a wash between the two. A5 and a great clutch will be about $2500. A good 4R will run you around $500, Silverfox FMVB with a brake is $600 IIRC, good triple disc stall is $600-$1000 and the shifter/misc stuff to get it in will bring you up to around the same price point. So its really all up to what you want to do and what YOUR preference is. At 450whp a stick shift will do just fine. At the 600+ level any stick is going to have issues be it the clutch, fluid starvation, missing a shift at 7K rpm and blowing all the teeth off 3rd gear etc...
ya. Its not a sportsman block its gonna max out at 450 maybe 500 with a bit of spray. I didn't plan on racing it, closest strip is a few hundred miles so it will be street and maybe hiway occasionally. Who makes the A5? I got some research to do now. Hope the stock t5 holds up for break in. :/ and does this A5 bolt right in or will i have to change bellhousing?
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
351stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Pas, Mb
Region: Canada
Posts: 443
holy MF'er!!
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post
ya. Its not a sportsman block its gonna max out at 450 maybe 500 with a bit of spray. I didn't plan on racing it, closest strip is a few hundred miles so it will be street and maybe hiway occasionally. Who makes the A5? I got some research to do now. Hope the stock t5 holds up for break in. :/ and does this A5 bolt right in or will i have to change bellhousing?
The A5 is a T5 built by Astro Performance. Stock case and overdrive gears are re-used. The 1-4 gears are huge straight cut gears that can take a lot of power. The beauty of the A5 being technically a T5 is it still shifts like a dream just like the T5. Also its a direct bolt in vs having to use adapter crossmembers or welding in a new trans mount etc... Also, using the Astro gearset and the stock overdrive gives you a .59 final drive ratio. Also if you are not comfortable with the stock T5 case you can get an updated case made by G-Force for another $300.

Other options are a TKO which does not shift great, the T-56 Magnums and you can also adapt the modular T-45 and 3650 transmissions to a 5.0 pushrod nowadays. What I would do honestly is run your stock T5 till it blows and then decide what to do. I've seen stockers live behind 400+whp engines for awhile, I've also seen them blow up behind bolt on cars. Very hit or miss and depends a lot on how they are driven and maintained.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
351stroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: The Pas, Mb
Region: Canada
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The A5 is a T5 built by Astro Performance. Stock case and overdrive gears are re-used. The 1-4 gears are huge straight cut gears that can take a lot of power. The beauty of the A5 being technically a T5 is it still shifts like a dream just like the T5. Also its a direct bolt in vs having to use adapter crossmembers or welding in a new trans mount etc... Also, using the Astro gearset and the stock overdrive gives you a .59 final drive ratio. Also if you are not comfortable with the stock T5 case you can get an updated case made by G-Force for another $300. Other options are a TKO which does not shift great, the T-56 Magnums and you can also adapt the modular T-45 and 3650 transmissions to a 5.0 pushrod nowadays. What I would do honestly is run your stock T5 till it blows and then decide what to do. I've seen stockers live behind 400+whp engines for awhile, I've also seen them blow up behind bolt on cars. Very hit or miss and depends a lot on how they are driven and maintained.
ill have to check out the A5 for future use then. Cause i like to get on it sometimes. Lol.
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Just remember, NOTHING shifts as smooth as a T-5, nothing. The T-45 is close and the 3650 is good too. The TKO is notchy as all fuk unless you get the liberty sure shift upgrade and even then... The T-56 Magnum, you are looking at $4-$5k to get one in depending on whether you install it or have someone put it in for you.

I still debate sometimes about this too. I'm pretty set on going to a stalled auto but I do look at the cheap rebuild kits with new forks for the T-45 that are out there. I'm confident I can do the rebuild myself and it would be good for 500whp without the 26 spline upgrade. Also my clutch is new and so is my entire cable setup. All stuff that I can sell tho.

So see you aren't the only one lol.

edit: Just watched that vid again. Man, that guy is not leaving anything on the table...
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Screaming Mach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Lebanon
Region: Missouri
Posts: 857
Yes that vid was crazy I watch it over and over lol
Screaming Mach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Varasios's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Mach View Post
Yes that vid was crazy I watch it over and over lol
Appreciate you sharing it..
I have a t-56 in my 95gt that the previous owner had installed.. Tight feeling transmission.. But I really don't know any better as its my first Mustang.

Im currently still searching for a diff motor as the head gaskets are pooched.

$ are tight as im a 25 year old electrician trying to live the dream..



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-970703936.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	566.2 KB
ID:	136078

Miss driving it.. Almost snow time in Canada,Ontario.
Varasios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff
 
scottydsntknow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: JB MDL
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 16,587
Probably a Cobra T-56 and not the Magnum. Good trans regardless, great for road racing with the extra gear between 4th and the final overdrive. They do shift smooth, part of the benefit of the single rail Borg Warner design that Tremec carried forward from the T-5 to the T-45 to the T-56. Tremec designed transmissions are 3 rail and don't shift as smooth.
__________________
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



01:02 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.