Has anyone ever used stock Explorer heads? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont
Has anyone ever used stock Explorer heads?

Has anyone ever used stock Explorer heads? Would you consider the power gain is worth the swap? I'd be using a ported Explorer intake manifold. Can I upgrade the cam without changing the rockers?

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 01:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The gt-40p are a good upgrade from stock heads but long tub headers are out of the question and yes you can reuse the stock rockers.
89 fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have a set of long tubes on my car now. What should I do heads or keep my long tubes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Heads will give you more hp
Liebert91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Why wont the long tubes bolt on to the GT 40 heads?

Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Gt40p spark plugs are in the way. But long tubs fit on gt40s
Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I know the BBK long tubes will work. You will just have to modify a spark plug socket to fit. I have heard Mac long tubes will work also, but haven't seen that in person.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
MAC long tubes bolt right on, you will need 90 degree plug boots or universal ones in any event. This is if you are using the GT40P heads though, if you got 1st generation explorer heads those are regular GT40s and will not have the issues.

In any event you NEED to change the springs because the explorer ones are VERY weak and will float on you even with the stock GT cam. The stock stamped rockers get a bad rap but they are 1.6 ratios and just fine honestly. You can do roller rockers if you want. You WILL have to measure for correct pushrod length and buy new pushrods whenever you change anything at all in the valvetrain though. If you just do the heads... Ford used the same pushrods for the E7s and GT40s so you should be ok but best practice says you measure every time.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
MAC long tubes bolt right on, you will need 90 degree plug boots or universal ones in any event. This is if you are using the GT40P heads though, if you got 1st generation explorer heads those are regular GT40s and will not have the issues. In any event you NEED to change the springs because the explorer ones are VERY weak and will float on you even with the stock GT cam. The stock stamped rockers get a bad rap but they are 1.6 ratios and just fine honestly. You can do roller rockers if you want. You WILL have to measure for correct pushrod length and buy new pushrods whenever you change anything at all in the valvetrain though. If you just do the heads... Ford used the same pushrods for the E7s and GT40s so you should be ok but best practice says you measure every time.
i have a suggestion. You change your Name to ScottyFKNknows cause dude u are one bright guy. I love all of your input and suggestions. U a Ford Tech or what?
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351stroker View Post
i have a suggestion. You change your Name to ScottyFKNknows cause dude u are one bright guy. I love all of your input and suggestions. U a Ford Tech or what?
+1
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

I mess with cars/trucks on the side.

I work on these full time.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The cherie force would brag about working on the latest and gratis
Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I mess with cars/trucks on the side. I work on these full time.
Nice!! And thanks for serving our country.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 fox View Post
The cherie force would brag about working on the latest and gratis
I never pretend that I've seen some of the crap that infantry and spec ops etc... have. Although I have been shot at with mortars/rockets/RPGs and it wasn't the most fun thing to literally see where the jihads are launching at you from... And the C17 is FAR from the latest and greatest. Damn computers on that thing are circa 1980s tech lol.

With that said I hate the interforce rivalries etc... whatever. We all do our part and nothing works without contributions from everyone. Although, IMO, most of the stuff the AF does could be contracted out to civilians for cheaper. At least we are a real branch unlike the Marines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
Nice!! And thanks for serving our country.
I try, I did get to see some cool stuff downrange and got to go to a lot of places. But my knee/back/some nerve damage in my arms has my flying a desk now. 2 year office tour, get 2 or 3 certifications for my resume, no deployments and a nonner schedule. I will miss the flight pay but I'm around for my wife/kid now.

And thanks for your support.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah at least AF is a real branch unlike the marines. Coming from the guy who doesn't like inner service rivalries? And I'm sure there's plenty of marines on here I mean it is a mustang forum
Fiveohfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

I was obviously poking fun lol. As I said everyone does their part. Hell, we're going to "total force" stuff all over the place anyway. Many bases are no longer AFB/Fort/Navy Base/Camp etc... its just a "Joint Base" like in NJ it went from McGuire/Fort Dix/Lakehurst to "JBMDL" (Joint Base Mcguire Dix Lakehurst). That's where its all going eventually anyway as well as the uniforms. We should all be in multicams or something universal that is a close approximation in the next 10 years.

At any rate, getting back on topic, hopefully the OP's hunt for a good set of GT40 irons goes well and the install goes without a hitch. Like I said get them cleaned up with new springs, pair with a GT40 intake, stock cam, bolt ons, supercharger with a Dyno tune and you get 450rwhp and stock driveability/gas mileage if you want.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I know I know haha I honestly don't even mind
Fiveohfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I never pretend that I've seen some of the crap that infantry and spec ops etc... have. Although I have been shot at with mortars/rockets/RPGs and it wasn't the most fun thing to literally see where the jihads are launching at you from... And the C17 is FAR from the latest and greatest. Damn computers on that thing are circa 1980s tech lol.

With that said I hate the interforce rivalries etc... whatever. We all do our part and nothing works without contributions from everyone. Although, IMO, most of the stuff the AF does could be contracted out to civilians for cheaper. At least we are a real branch unlike the Marines

I try, I did get to see some cool stuff downrange and got to go to a lot of places. But my knee/back/some nerve damage in my arms has my flying a desk now. 2 year office tour, get 2 or 3 certifications for my resume, no deployments and a nonner schedule. I will miss the flight pay but I'm around for my wife/kid now.

And thanks for your support.
I'm just giving you a hard time I don't mean any thang by it. I'm in the navy and work on a pig called a c-130t
Old 11-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #19
Staff
Regular
Staff

Lol I know its all good. And agree on the pig 130s and the Navy ones always look like they are all faded even though its on purpose.

Moar pics:

Mountains of Glorious Nation Kyrgystan

Got a ton more, I flew for almost 2 years as an FCC, one of the best things I ever did and I miss it a lot. I do NOT miss the schedule and being away from my wife and little girl 260+ days a year though. Best time I had was when we "broke" in Aviano, Italy for 4 days. 16 hours in Venice and then back to party in Sacile, Italy is the sort of stuff that gets us called the "Cherie Force" lol.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Great pics!

Old 11-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
I mess with cars/trucks on the side. I work on these full time.
hahaha. Well that explains it!!
351stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT