Been on the forum for a few years, read a lot of posts but haven't posted much.
Over the next year I am starting to restore/upgrade my 1988 GT (speed density and 5-speed manual). I plan on addressing the the engine, interior, exterior and suspension. The engine has 105,000-miles and is bone stock and I've only added unequal shorty headers, H-pipe and a cat-back flow master back when I got the car in 1998 as a junior in high school.
Budget isn't an issue, although I don’t want to waste money.
The car is not my daily driver, nor will it be, and I do not want a track car. I want to be able to cruise around on the weekends, go to some cars & coffee events, etc. but have some fun while getting there. I'd like to approach 300-hp, naturally aspirated if at all possible. The engine parts I have listed come in around $4,000 new and I am sure I could save a few hundred by going through a junkyard, and looking on forums and craigslist.
I’d like to retain the T5 tranny, knowing I will need a HD clutch assembly (planning Ford Racing 10.5” 10-spline) and I will certainly add sub frame connectors when I do the suspension (springs, shocks, struts, sway bars and control arms).
I have a set of 3.73 Ford Racing gears still in the box that I will install and I plan to convert to 5-lug axles (planning to stay with 28-spline because I understand they are capable of handling up to 350rwHP – please let me know if this is inaccurate). I’ll also install a shirt throw shifter.
So, with the background out of the way, lets get into my build plan. I am looking for a sanity check to verify the items are compatible and to ensure I am not overdoing an area or spending money on a mod that in my build case won't help or may even hurt. And, of course a tune will follow.
Here is my build plan:
1. Convert to MAF, and use a 75mm MAM (Pro-M Mustang 75mm Mass Air Meter For 24lb Injectors & Fenderwell Cold Air Kit (1993) Cobra 5.0 - LatemodelRestoration.com
2. Fender-well intake
3. 75mm TB & EGR Spacer
4. Fuel Injectors 24-lb, 255lph pump
5. Cobra Upper/lower intake
6. GT40p heads
7. 1.7 Cobra Roller Rockers
8. B303 Cam (as I understand it offers good low-end tq and sig top end power over 4,000rpm)
9. Underdrive pulleys
10. MSD Ignition Kit (6AL Box & Pro-Billet Distributer)
11. 1-5/8” equal length short headers
12. X-pipe, no cats (car will have “street-rod or historic” tags to avoid maryland emission checks)
13. Catback exhaust, 2.5”
The few areas of uncertainty I have with this build plan:
- Is the 75mm TB too much, would a 70mm be better served in this application?
- 255lph Fuel pump too much or do I go 190lph?
- 24-lb injectors sufficient? I have no further engine plans beyond this list.
- With the list above should I port the lower?
- Is it necessary to do the rockers & the cam? Or am I duplicating effort for no gain?
- Should I consider an E303? I understand the e-cam offers excellent low-mid range TQ and may be better suited for a track application and not a daily driver.
- 1.6 rockers with either the b- or e-cam a better combination?
I realize there are MANY other options just from brand alone so constructive feedback would be the most beneficial, not brand bias. Again, I don’t want to get too wild so a set of Canfield heads are not necessary as I’ve no desire to attain over 400rwHP.
Lastly, I have nothing but time to complete this build; this will be a hobby for me, working on it a few hours a night, couple nights a week for the next year. As I mentioned I am also doing the interior (ripping out the grey interior and converting it to all black), suspension/wheels and the exterior to include replacing all of the weather-stripping.
I don’t think I left anything out.
Thanks in advance,