Is a msd cap and rotor worth it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Is a msd cap and rotor worth it?

I Can get a brand new one right now for practically nothing. The one on my car is a duralast with 35,000 miles on it. Simone on here not to long ago was bashing msd so I don't know if I should buy this.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
As long as you're not having Issues with the one you have, I wouldn't bother. Its not going to give you any more power or anything. MSD has some issues, but if you can get it for next to nothing or free, you could try it. You'll have 6 people tell you they are crap, then half a dozen swear by it. Just don't get rid of the one you have now. And keep it in the car lol

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Yea if you can get it cheap im sure it would be nice to have incase the one you do have goes out. Like a backup.
clflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
As long as you're not having Issues with the one you have, I wouldn't bother. Its not going to give you any more power or anything. MSD has some issues, but if you can get it for next to nothing or free, you could try it. You'll have 6 people tell you they are crap, then half a dozen swear by it. Just don't get rid of the one you have now. And keep it in the car lol
ok thanks guys
Old 11-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The MSD tune up parts are always a good idea for street/strip rigs and or your daily driver/winter beater whatever it is. Take a peak at either the cap off of your car and or a stock "OE" replacement cap from one of your local parts stores and take a peak at all the contacts on that cap. What are the majority of them composed of? Aluminum. Now, take a peak at a MSD counter part. What are the contacts composed of? Brass. If you can find brass over aluminum in any of your ignition/tune up parts regardless of name brand is a no brainer in my opinion.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
MSD is bankrupt and consolidating everything to China in an effort to save itself. Their products have been garbage for years (personal experience and word of mouth from others) and there are better options out there. I go with Crane stuff for ignitions personally.

MSD= Might Suddenly Die or My Spark Disappeared
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Do not get it, they are junk, I installed one and a couple days later my car just stopped running on the way home from school, thing completely stopped working
Old 11-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
MSD is bankrupt and consolidating everything to China in an effort to save itself. Their products have been garbage for years (personal experience and word of mouth from others) and there are better options out there. I go with Crane stuff for ignitions personally. MSD= Might Suddenly Die or My Spark Disappeared
What's your op on accel cap and rotors?
Old 11-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Proof is at the track, look at 90% of the rigs out there. What are they running? Look at any of your PRO NHRA cars from super stock to pro-stock hell go all the way to your nitro burning top fuel boys. Once again the majority of them all MSD. Top fuel cars are some of the most powerful race engines around coming in at over 10,000+ horses and they all run MSD pro mag and pro mag drivers. Ive used MSD ready to run dizzys, pro billet dizzys, misc cap and rotor kits, boost-a-pumps, all 6 series controllers as well as digital 7's and haven't run into any issues ever. Over 10yrs of using MSD products between my own rigs and customer rigs and will continue to do so. But thats once again my .02

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
Do not get it, they are junk, I installed one and a couple days later my car just stopped running on the way home from school, thing completely stopped working
On way home and it just quit due to MSD cap and rotor? Would like to see a pic of the inboard post on underside of that cap once it was removed. Also resistance reading on primary and secondary ends of the coil when it "quit" as well as dwell test on the ICM.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've had 2 MSD products fail on me, a distributor in a few months and a 6A box in about a year. I'm just going from personal experience and have NEVER had an issue with Crane stuff. Also comparing the $$$$$$ parts that the top fuel dragsters run to what Joe Schmoe buys from Summit or wherever is completely apples to oranges.

Also when I replaced the 6A with a Crane HI-6 I took the MSD box apart to inspect it. Literally looked like a 6 yr old had hot glued the internal parts together which might have been the case with the way child labor is in China...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87LX306 View Post
Proof is at the track, look at 90% of the rigs out there. What are they running? Look at any of your PRO NHRA cars from super stock to pro-stock hell go all the way to your nitro burning top fuel boys. Once again the majority of them all MSD. Top fuel cars are some of the most powerful race engines around coming in at over 10,000+ horses and they all run MSD pro mag and pro mag drivers. Ive used MSD ready to run dizzys, pro billet dizzys, misc cap and rotor kits, boost-a-pumps, all 6 series controllers as well as digital 7's and haven't run into any issues ever. Over 10yrs of using MSD products between my own rigs and customer rigs and will continue to do so. But thats once again my .02 ---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ---------- On way home and it just quit due to MSD cap and rotor? Would like to see a pic of the inboard post on underside of that cap once it was removed. Also resistance reading on primary and secondary ends of the coil when it "quit" as well as dwell test on the ICM.
Well I don't have any pics cause it was last winter, but what I do know is that the god damn metal strip on the rotor broke off while I was driving...... Then fell down into the distributor, so i replaced everything with stock parts and worked fine. Didn't spend much money on it but I wouldn't recommend some one else waste there money just from personal experience. I'am glad that you had good luck with everything you got. If the person takes my advice or not it's up to them.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:38 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Like I said I challenge anyone to compare MSD to Crane and see if you'll ever buy the MSD part again. HI-6 box vs 6AL isn't even fair. Fully machine soldered digital circuit board in a nice small case that does not make a sound vs analog hand glued/soldered (yes glued) in a case three times as big that makes a loud buzzing noise when its on...

And that's just the ignition example. Again, the top fuel stuff that uses MSD is using $thousands parts that are overbuilt and QC'd a lot better seeing as how much they cost. Eff ever running a MSD product in my car again. Eff that right in the goat ***.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:25 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Make sure you check your products before purchase. As we all know, the Chinese will make knockoffs and offer them all over the web as real. Sorry you had your bad luck. Heres some pics of Real vs Fake MSD 6's. The first pic of the pair is the real one vs a fake.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-371935938.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	137085   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4078688805.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	321.4 KB
ID:	137086  

Name:	image-1306235349.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	137087   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1686505977.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	137088  

Name:	image-1052351974.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	137089   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-824010530.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	137090  

Old 11-19-2013, 02:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Plus if you want to compare the Crane to the MSD compare them apples to apples. Crane's HI6 vs MSD Digital 6. Not HI6 vs MSD 6a/6al

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT