95 GT cobra dash speedo prob - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2013, 03:10 AM   #1

Region: Ohio
95 GT cobra dash speedo prob

I have a 95 GT that has a cobra dash, what year cobra dash... The person I purchased it from said that I needed to buy some speedometer cable converter and that Dallas Mustang has it, but I cannot remember what it was he said it was exactly and I can't make contact with the person any longer. I was wondering if this rings a bell with anyone. I am having no luck searching the interwebs I did see a post here about changing some electronics on the gauge cluster but I don't think that was for my year mustang. Thank you for any and all help.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Are you trying to figure out what year the dash is or the part he told u that u needed to buy?
Foxbody91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #3

The part I need to make the speedily work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You mean the instrument cluster? Post a pic of exactly what you are wanting to do. The good news is if it boils down to it a regular GT cluster is cheap and so are white faces.

Ok the cluster, you need to find out what year cluster you have. All Cobra clusters from the 94-98 cars are 160mph but the 96/97 is different than the 94/95 pushrod clusters as far as pinout and the 98 is unique from them all. Once you find out what you have you just need to re-pin it to work. You should not need a speedcal box until you do gears or a bigger tire or whatever.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:40 PM   #5

Ok, thank you. I will try to figure out what year it is.
Old 12-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Isn't the speed cal box only needed for 96 and up cars? I just changed the gear on my cable and the speedometer is correct after the gear swap
3stangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you used the white gear then its going to chew itself up in a few thousand miles. It isn't a Ford gear, its a Chrysler gear and the mesh is off. You can only be accurate to 3.27s with the 8 tooth drive gears on the 90-up cars. In 99 they went to OSS only so no more gears. To correctly change your speedo in the 94-98 cars for 3.55s and up you either use a speedcal or swap to a 6 or 7 tooth drive gear and the appropriate driven gear for your 3.55s, 3.73s, 4.10s or up.

Honestly the speedcal is the best option and I don't know why ppl mess with the gears. You can adjust for ANY gear ratio, bigger tires or if you use a 99-up trans with OSS you can convert the signal to VSS with the speedcal.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT