New Foxbody Project, Need Advice... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
New Foxbody Project, Need Advice...

So I'm in the panning phases of building a car for my wife. She absolutely loves the 89-93 Fox Hatches, preferably the GT. She doesn't mind the LX and she hates the notch/trunks cars. Which I love. But this is for her, not me. Lol. So step one, I'm trying to find a decent roller. Just as long as the body is complete and most of the interior is there and there is no rust, we will be happy. This is going to be a project that the two of us plan on working on together for sometime. Hopefully only a year or two, tops. Step two, budget and goals. Our budget including the price of the roller is going to be around $20,000 and our goals is a street legal 10sec car. It also has to have a cage and all the necessary safety requirements to run at the drag strip on a regular basis. I'd love for her to get into bracket racing or something like that. Step 3. Drivetrain, it has to be a all motor car, no FI, no nitrous. We want it to be a automatic as well. We'd much rather drop most of the money in this department. Between, motor, trans, rear, wheels, tires, brakes, and suspension, I don't expect there to much left for restoration.
So the questions I have and the advice we seek is, does this sound possible? What would be some of you guys plan of attack? Am I budgeting too much or to little?
We'd love some suggestions for products to help us stay in our budget and reach our goals.
I'm not looking for y'all to do the work for us, just some helpful guidance into the world of foxes that we don't know much about.
Thanks!
-SmO
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I think your budget should get you to your goal. Some decent 89-93 rollers that already have a roll cage, built rear/suspension go for around 3-4k in my area. I see them quite a bit on craigslist.

As for an engine, I'd start with a 351, and build it into a 408 stroker, and that's gonna be a big chunk of your change. A nice C4 or even a built AOD would back it up nicely. I think you have the right mind set, to take your time and plan it out. It may take alittle longer, but you're going t o get exactly what you want.

On a side note, my girlfriend likes my 90 GT hatch, but she likes them in white. So I'm trying to convince her to get one herself. Lol

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks RogueStang! I greatly appreciate the insight. I want this car to be nasty, but she don't want too nasty, lol. This means a lot to me to do this right for her. She deserves exactly what she wants for her patience with me over the years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
Thanks RogueStang! I greatly appreciate the insight. I want this car to be nasty, but she don't want too nasty, lol. This means a lot to me to do this right for her. She deserves exactly what she wants for her patience with me over the years.
Haha a 10 sec N/A fox is pretty nasty if you ask me!

Scottydoesntknow has some good insight as well, and hopefully he'll chime in too.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.tristarengines.com/catalo...num-heads.html

This is the motor we are checking out.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
408 stroker from www.fordstrokers.com for the motor, have Woody set you up with a beast.

Automatic should be a built 4r70w with a Baumann controller unless she wants a full manual valve body... Have Lidio tune the Baumann.

Call Freakshow Performance in Texas for the stall. Get a triple disc locking converter, I'd say a 2800 stall for the power level you are shooting for.

Rear should be a built SRA with a full torque arm/panhard setup/subframes/the works.

Fuel system to support it obviously, a really good tune, the right wheels/tires and you can restore the interiors on these pretty well now. LRS sells a lot of stuff to make it look new or near new. Carpet, door panels, hit up the interwebs classifieds/ebay for clean consoles/dashes etc...

But above all, start with a clean, rust free body and go from there. As was mentioned its not that hard to find a good roller that someone started and never finished or pulled a setup out of to go in a different direction. Oftentimes they'll be fully caged, suspension done or mostly done and sometimes even tubbed/mini tubbed.

$20k is going to be cutting it close. The motor/trans alone is going to be $11,000-$12,000 and that's before any installation. I'd say if you can get all the parts you need for $16,000 a shop can probably put it all in and keep you under the $20k mark.

And in the end you'll have a 500/500 to the wheels car easy that'll do 10s all day, maybe better. That kind of power in a stalled auto fox might get you/her into the 9s.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome info Scotty. Thanks bro. As far as installs go, we are going to do all the labor ourselves. If there's anything we can't handle, my buddy owns a mustang performance shop and will help us out. He's also a genius at tuning these fox bodies. The only thing I'd truly pay labor for is the roll cage install and paint. But if I can find a straight and clean roller with a cage already that'll save some time and money. We like the idea of the manual valve body though. Originally she wanted it stick but she wants to be able to compete consistently. She likes the idea of still getting to shift the auto.
With the setup you listed, will
I have to get a custom driveshaft made? And what gearing do you recommend in the rear?
Bear in mind we still want to cruise in this car on the highways, so with that trans will it be a issue?
And any suggestions for suspension, brakes, wheels and tires?
I definitely plan on doing the 5 lug conversion.
Thanks again Scotty!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Definitely 5 lug conversion, I'd do the Cobra front and rear or at least the 99-up GT front and rear so you can stop. For a drag car get a big/little setup with some 28" tall tires.

If you are going to manually shift it I'd head on over to clickclickracing.com and check out the forums there. Silverfox specializes in manually shifted transmissions and can set you up with just a valve body or a fully built 4R trans. Just makes sure when you get your fox that you use a manual computer for the MVB or the controller to work properly. With the standalone controller or the manual valve body the car needs to think its a stick shift.

Good to know you have a shop and a friend like that though, makes this whole thing a lot easier. A fox is probably THE easiest car to work on that there is or maybe ever was. Plenty of room, everything just comes right apart, simple, light, biggest aftermarket of any car ever.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So we are thinking we may go with a coyote swap. We will use the motor out of my '13 GT. And then I'll build a motor for mine. Not committed to anything yet. lol. My motor already puts down 460rwhp and over 400rwtq. We think that'll be plenty. Thoughts...
Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC_SmOziLLa View Post
So we are thinking we may go with a coyote swap. We will use the motor out of my '13 GT. And then I'll build a motor for mine. Not committed to anything yet. lol. My motor already puts down 460rwhp and over 400rwtq. We think that'll be plenty. Thoughts...
Hmmm that would be cool, and its all the rage these days. You'd just need the adapter kit (I beleive ford racing makes it) and some odds and ends that come up in any project. But you should be within your budget since you already have the engine. Would it get you in the 10's? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on the suspension set up in that case.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you are going to go that route build the motor for your 13 FIRST and get it all installed and running like you want it. THEN do the Coyote swap in the fox.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I was thinking. Thanks Scotty!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah man, the LAST thing you want is the 13 sitting for an extended period of time because the fox ran over budget and you don't have the money to do the 13 too. A Coyote fox is pretty mean. Do a boss intake, NA cams and a good tune and she's at 500 to the wheels with great gas mileage. With that said, you can build a beast of a 408 stroker making the same power and getting 17-19mpg on the highway (if you even care, with a 408 gas mileage should be a low priority lol). I'd draw up a cost comparison of the two and sit down with your wife and see what route she wants to go.

I will say from experience that when you drop the hammer on a built 408 your testicles attempt to suck up immediately but can't because the 408 is slamming them back into the trunk of the car as the nose lifts up and all hell breaks loose.

Old 12-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yeah man, the LAST thing you want is the 13 sitting for an extended period of time because the fox ran over budget and you don't have the money to do the 13 too. A Coyote fox is pretty mean. Do a boss intake, NA cams and a good tune and she's at 500 to the wheels with great gas mileage. With that said, you can build a beast of a 408 stroker making the same power and getting 17-19mpg on the highway (if you even care, with a 408 gas mileage should be a low priority lol). I'd draw up a cost comparison of the two and sit down with your wife and see what route she wants to go.

I will say from experience that when you drop the hammer on a built 408 your testicles attempt to suck up immediately but can't because the 408 is slamming them back into the trunk of the car as the nose lifts up and all hell breaks loose.
Lmao!

***resident gun idiot***

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
foxbody