Engine Tapping Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Engine Tapping Questions

I just changed out my Harmonic Balancer on my 94 Mustang GT 5.0. Before I changed it there was no tapping coming from my engine...just wobble in the pulleys from the bad balancer. Now that the New Balancer is in there's no more wobble & that area is all running smoothly. But now there's a terrible tapping sound coming from somewhere up top on the engine. Oil is at correct level.
Could it have anything to do with the Harmonic Balancer? Could it have anything to do with the timing? Sounds like a car that's 3 quarts low on oil.
Oil Guage in car says oil pressure is ok. Any ideas on what the problem could be??? Like I said...No Noises before changing balancer & bad tapping in engine after installing new one. Let me know guys...Sure need the help.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Timing? Could also just be lifters or rocker arms? See if you can pin point the sound a little better. Double check your timing, should be between 10-14 degrees.
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:36 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Don't know what's with this website. I log in...Type a message in Quick reply...Try to submit it & it tells me I'm not logged in. Yet..it shows I am logged in. Makes me refresh, log in again & then I have to re-type everything. Does this to me constantly...& I HATE TYPING !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2014, 04:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Anyways, I don't see why the Lifters or rocker arms would start tapping just from changing a Harmonic Balancer. I'm wondering if the Outer Ring on the Old Balancer Slipped & possibly threw the car out of time. The Rubber Ring on the old balancer had about a 1/4" gap & was hanging out some about 1/2 way around the balancer.
Anybody else got any ideas to check out?
Trojan Horse...Where are you...You ususally have some good suggestions for me.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

OK...My main question is: Can the Timing being off cause the engine tapping noises I'm hearing?
If it can...I'm pretty sure that's the problem due to the Harmonic Balancer outer ring slipping.
If it can't...Well...I don't know why it would just start tapping right after changing the Balancer...unless it's just one of those freaky coincedences that happened.
I'm pretty sure it's not Rocker Arms hitting the Valve Covers...but a lifter...maybe.
I'll take a long Screwdriver out & listen to see if I can pin point the tapping.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Why not check the timing and start there? It's easy and free, post up what you find. I just did the balancer in my 94 a few weeks back.
surfinglbi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Going to Harbor Freight to get a Timing Light in a few minutes. I'll post the results.
Thx!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Now I'm Puzzled ! Decided to go double check some things on the car before I went to Harbor Freight & everything looked good. I started the car & the Tapping Sound is Gone.
Drove it to Harbor Freight & Back, Took it up to 65 (City Streets), did a couple of Burn Outs.
No Tapping still. It just went away. Car seems to be running fine. Still going to check the timing though since I bought the light. Bought the stethascope too in case the noise returns to help pin point it. Guess I'm good to go or at least it seems that way. Thx!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The pushrod engine in my truck does the same thing every once in a while. I think that it's a lifter getting "stuck" every so often...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Could be ... it's just the 1st time it ever happened so I thought it had something to do with the Balancer install. Can't wait to get the new motor built. I'm wondering if having it up on jack stands in the front for 3 days made all the oil go to one end & I just started it too soon before the oil leveled back out. Don't know if that's possible or not. Sounds fine now so I'm happy. Thx
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post
Don't know what's with this website. I log in...Type a message in Quick reply...Try to submit it & it tells me I'm not logged in. Yet..it shows I am logged in. Makes me refresh, log in again & then I have to re-type everything. Does this to me constantly...& I HATE TYPING !!!!
Try clicking the remember me button. I'm a member of a trading and selling site that will time you out unless I click that tab.
Davesorl04gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT