how do you change the front main seal on a 1994 302 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2014, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
how do you change the front main seal on a 1994 302

I have seen people have to pull the timeing cover but I don't want to. I saw a bronco forum and the guy said you can just take the balancer off and pull the old one out like The rear one. Who's right?
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You don't have to remove the timing cover to replace the front seal!

I did it a few weeks ago.
Once the balancer was off I used a pair of Vise grips to grab the flange lip of the seal. I screwed the adjustment on the Vise grips as tight as it could get it and still be able to clamp the jaws shut. I clamped the Vise grips on with the release handle facing the radiator and rocked the backside of the Vise grips against the timing cover. A short prayer for divine intervention and a big tug resulted in the seal prying loose on one side. Some more pressure on the Vise grips resulted in the seal prying loose. Since the balancer had spun and was in two pieces, I used the center part of the old balancer to drive the new seal in place. Coat the seal's metal shell with a little bit of blue silicone for leak protection.
ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK View Post
You don't have to remove the timing cover to replace the front seal!

I did it a few weeks ago.
Once the balancer was off I used a pair of Vise grips to grab the flange lip of the seal. I screwed the adjustment on the Vise grips as tight as it could get it and still be able to clamp the jaws shut. I clamped the Vise grips on with the release handle facing the radiator and rocked the backside of the Vise grips against the timing cover. A short prayer for divine intervention and a big tug resulted in the seal prying loose on one side. Some more pressure on the Vise grips resulted in the seal prying loose. Since the balancer had spun and was in two pieces, I used the center part of the old balancer to drive the new seal in place. Coat the seal's metal shell with a little bit of blue silicone for leak protection.
Wow, glad I read this topic, I never thought to do that. Usually I just waited until I had all the other stuff together to do it all at once (chain, cam install, new oil pan gasket etc.) because it was such a pain, now I have a shortcut! Thanks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT