going from 3.27's to 3.73's will I notice a diffrence? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I currently have a 94 mustang gt automatic and it came with 3.27 gears from the factory. I know this because it's a code E in the door jamb. I have 3.73's and will be installing them this month. My question is who here went from 3.27 to 3.73 and how much of a diffrence will I feel? I don't want 4.10's because I drive on the highway often and I have dronemaster super 40's with a o/r x pipe witch will drive me nuts.I also have a 2,300 stall torque converter
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Yes you will, with any gear ratio change you will feel it.
SVT_Mewbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

But how much faster will the car be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

But how much faster will the car be? Accelerateion wise?
Old 01-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It will pull harder at lower speeds, but at higher speeds while it will pull harder than it was before. It will not be as significant. Remember that gears are your best bang for your buck.
SVT_Mewbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:19 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
First make sure you actually have that gear ratio because someone might have changed it. Jack the car up, mark the driveshaft and count the driveshaft revolutions vs the tire. If you do have 3.27s it'll be around 3.3:1. If you have 3.55s it'll be 3.5:1, 3.73s are 3.75:1 and 4.10s will be slightly over 4 wheel turns. Only way to be 100%. Would suck to buy everything and find out you've got a set of gears in there already.

But to answer your question, yes 3.73s vs 3.27s will give you a big bump in acceleration, you will have a higher highway RPM though but its not crazy. Honestly 4.10s will only give you another 150-200 RPM on the highway vs the 3.73s and I would suggest the 4.10s with the auto.

And your exhaust... oof, that mirrors what I had on my 91GT and after a highway cruise it was not a good time for my ears. The drone was so bad I would crank my radio to drown it out and my ears would be ringing after a long drive. Heck even without the radio after a short drive it would be bleh.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
First make sure you actually have that gear ratio because someone might have changed it. Jack the car up, mark the driveshaft and count the driveshaft revolutions vs the tire. If you do have 3.27s it'll be around 3.3:1. If you have 3.55s it'll be 3.5:1, 3.73s are 3.75:1 and 4.10s will be slightly over 4 wheel turns. Only way to be 100%. Would suck to buy everything and find out you've got a set of gears in there already.

But to answer your question, yes 3.73s vs 3.27s will give you a big bump in acceleration, you will have a higher highway RPM though but its not crazy. Honestly 4.10s will only give you another 150-200 RPM on the highway vs the 3.73s and I would suggest the 4.10s with the auto.

And your exhaust... oof, that mirrors what I had on my 91GT and after a highway cruise it was not a good time for my ears. The drone was so bad I would crank my radio to drown it out and my ears would be ringing after a long drive. Heck even without the radio after a short drive it would be bleh.
Hahahah thanks, yea I'm 100% it has 3.27's the woman I bought it from had everything documented and done by ford. I don't think an old lady needs 3.73's lol. Anyway I'm going to go with the 3.73's because I already have them and they were a gift *free*. I don't like my flowmasters, I want to swap for magnaflow high chatted flow x pipe with borla stingers but it's to expensive.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:34 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

You know honestly take a look at the Summit turbo mufflers. They sound very similar to Dynomax/Magnaflow, are $30 each and will clamp right into place.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You know honestly take a look at the Summit turbo mufflers. They sound very similar to Dynomax/Magnaflow, are $30 each and will clamp right into place.
Do they drone? What magnafow muffler doesent drone?
Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Straight through mufflers will not drone like chambered ones do which is why the flowmasters are so terribad for highway drives. There are summit turbo (straight through) and the chambered ones, you'd want the straight through ones. Magnaflow mufflers are the ones that do not drone much and I had Dynomax Ultra Flows ($130 a muffler) which are fully stainless and mega high quality on my 95.

Now, you will get SOME drone but its very very mild compared to what you are currently getting. My 95 was setup with FRPP Ceramic shorties, O/R H pipe and the Ultraflow catback and it was a nice mild mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm at 2300 rpm/70mph. No issues having a conversation and did not have to blast the music.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I went from 327 to 373...you can deff feel diff!! I love them
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Straight through mufflers will not drone like chambered ones do which is why the flowmasters are so terribad for highway drives. There are summit turbo (straight through) and the chambered ones, you'd want the straight through ones. Magnaflow mufflers are the ones that do not drone much and I had Dynomax Ultra Flows ($130 a muffler) which are fully stainless and mega high quality on my 95.

Now, you will get SOME drone but its very very mild compared to what you are currently getting. My 95 was setup with FRPP Ceramic shorties, O/R H pipe and the Ultraflow catback and it was a nice mild mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm at 2300 rpm/70mph. No issues having a conversation and did not have to blast the music.
Sounds good, I will probably change my mufflers before mustang week, no way I'm going all the way to myertle beach with them.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:56 AM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

I used to drive 2 hours each way to go home to NJ on the weekends when I was stationed at Dover. You'll do that when a girl you know from HS is setting you up with her smoking hot friend who is there for the summer from VT... Plus gas was $1/gal...

But yeah I wanted to kill myself after those 2 hour drives in that 91. I mean it was fun as hell, that car is what made me fall in love with these vehicles but holy hell the drone... ugh.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I used to drive 2 hours each way to go home to NJ on the weekends when I was stationed at Dover. You'll do that when a girl you know from HS is setting you up with her smoking hot friend who is there for the summer from VT... Plus gas was $1/gal...

But yeah I wanted to kill myself after those 2 hour drives in that 91. I mean it was fun as hell, that car is what made me fall in love with these vehicles but holy hell the drone... ugh.
Hhahhaha that's great. Yea my brothers new 5.0 has the ford raceing axle backs with resonator deletes and it sounds incredible. There is zero drone and he can pass emissions without a bribe lol.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
4.10's solved my problem of cruisin' around at 1500-1800 rpm's. Sometimes I wish I went 3.73's because I do a lot of highway driving. I keep up with traffic @ 75mph/2600 rpms. I do like to buzz down a clear and open highway @ 4500 rpm's but not for to long. Gotta watch out for Smokey. I did not notice any change in MPG and I noticed a big difference that my motor is not working as hard.
*Cheers to the 4.6*
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosified View Post
4.10's solved my problem of cruisin' around at 1500-1800 rpm's. Sometimes I wish I went 3.73's because I do a lot of highway driving. I keep up with traffic @ 75mph/2600 rpms. I do like to buzz down a clear and open highway @ 4500 rpm's but not for to long. Gotta watch out for Smokey. I did not notice any change in MPG and I noticed a big difference that my motor is not working as hard.
*Cheers to the 4.6*
Yea well you have a 4.6 lol, my 5.0 drinks gas like a drunken salior
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
5.0's the way to GO though. Cuz everyone knows ya touch a 5.0!;-)
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
do it! you'll love them, they helped my mpg in city driving, and didn't notice any change in highway driving.
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
This is funny because I love the drone of my mufflers. I have the 40 series rite now but will change to supper 44 single inlet dual outlets, and yes there will be 2 of those under the car...lol. I've put those on all 4 of my past stangs.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
This is funny because I love the drone of my mufflers. I have the 40 series rite now but will change to supper 44 single inlet dual outlets, and yes there will be 2 of those under the car...lol. I've put those on all 4 of my past stangs.
I have gotton a bunch of compliments from others that it sounds amazeing and I agree it does from outside the car, or with the windows down. But long highway drives, no. It gives you a headache because the have such a low loud drone from 1,900rpm to 2,500 rpm witch is what the car stays at from 65 to 70 mph. There fine around town but on the highway forget it.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm strange like that. I drove my car an hour and a half each way to school when I was going to collision school and I drove it everyday. I loved it and most of the time I listened to her purr as we traveled and didn't even turn the radio on...lol. as for the gears, I've had 3:73 and 4:10. I prefer the 4:10 any day. Never noticed much difference in gas either but I've honestly never cared about mpg. I can't have what I like on my car if I care about that. I would try to trade the 3:73 off for the 4:10 but that's just me.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Then you have an issue with your 5.0 I would say. My 5.0 Cobra with the stock gears got 24mpg hand calculated. It only went down a few MPG when I did the gears and all the bolt ons. I know the auto will probably suck up a few MPG and your overdrive gear is not quite as deep as a 5 spd but still. Sounds like it may be time for a tune up and get some flow matched injectors in there. I'm guessing your injectors are factory original and if they are I'll bet they are falling apart. Mine were and they were low mileage ones. Age can do that.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Or maybe just a problem with his foot?!!
Sgt_Syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Then you have an issue with your 5.0 I would say. My 5.0 Cobra with the stock gears got 24mpg hand calculated. It only went down a few MPG when I did the gears and all the bolt ons. I know the auto will probably suck up a few MPG and your overdrive gear is not quite as deep as a 5 spd but still. Sounds like it may be time for a tune up and get some flow matched injectors in there. I'm guessing your injectors are factory original and if they are I'll bet they are falling apart. Mine were and they were low mileage ones. Age can do that.
I agree, I've had several mustang gt and none were stock, producing upwards of 350 HP or more. They've all gotten 22 mpg on the highway or more. You can see the mods on my current stang in my signature and as long as I stay out of it she does pretty good.

Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hahahhah yea not mine. I cauculated 13.5 with mine. Even on the highway the highest it has ever gotton was 17. I don't care about had mileage that much either but I can't justify putting 4.10's in, not even gas related. Nothing is wrong with my 5.0 it only has 63,000 miles on it. I can't belive you got 24mpg but haveing a manual defiantly plays a role in that. Mines an auto. I also have a 2300 rpm stall converter so everytime I get going it needs a lot of input.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Why do you have such a high stall converter? You dont need that without a big/bigger cam.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why do you have such a high stall converter? You dont need that without a big/bigger cam.
The guy who rebuilt my aode said to replace the converter to so we figured why not just get a high stall converter instead of stock.there not just for cams. They give you a much better launch at the strip so you don't have to power break it off the line and smoke your tranny. I

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote:
The guy who rebuilt my aode said to replace the converter to so we figured why not just get a high stall converter instead of stock. there not just for cams. They give you a much better launch at the strip so you don't have to power break it off the line and smoke your tranny. I
Old 01-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

This is true, to each his own. I was just wondering why you chose it. It is your car after all. I've never had or driven an automatic mustang. I consider it an abomination and wouldn't even coincided it when I'm looking for one...lol.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
This is true, to each his own. I was just wondering why you chose it. It is your car after all. I've never had or driven an automatic mustang. I consider it an abomination and wouldn't even coincided it when I'm looking for one...lol.
Hahaha, all I know is a built automatic will shift faster and harder than any t5. I agree automatics are lame/not fun but why do you think real single digit dragsters use automatics. My automatic shifts so hard it hurts your neck.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:29 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hahaha, all I know is a built automatic will shift faster and harder than any t5. I agree automatics are lame/not fun but why do you think real single digit dragsters use automatics. My automatic shifts so hard it hurts your neck.
*NICE
Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Dont get me wrong, I love a hard shifting auto. Had one in a camaro when I was 18, but just because you have a built trans doesn't necessarily mean you need to stall converter. If I didn't have a bigger cam to compliment it I would use one unless it was slightly over stock. I wouldn't have went to a 2300 without the cam to back it up. Just my opinion and on no way am I trying to tell you your wrong on your choice.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM   #32
Road Trip!

Quote:

Not ANOTHER one of these anti autos guy :-/

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
CoolHorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHorsey View Post
Not ANOTHER one of these anti autos guy :-/

Sent from my Barbie Dream Phone®
Yep...lol

Old 01-21-2014, 02:50 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yep...lol
Manual valve body, reverse gear pattern, 2800+ stall... AwwwWWWW!!!!
Old 01-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I love a hard shifting auto. Had one in a camaro when I was 18, but just because you have a built trans doesn't necessarily mean you need to stall converter. If I didn't have a bigger cam to compliment it I would use one unless it was slightly over stock. I wouldn't have went to a 2300 without the cam to back it up. Just my opinion and on no way am I trying to tell you your wrong on your choice.
I understand, not telling your wrong either because their purpose is to kick in at higher rpms not to stall a cammed motor. But there other purpose is hard launches. Much much harder than the stock 1800rpm. Also My tranny has red eagle clutches, kolene steels, red eagle power pack, fair banks shift kit. There the same components used in the crown Vick interceptor transmission besides the shift kit. It would be a sin to feed it with a 1800rpm converter.I am also installing the 3.73's this month. My b&m ratchet shifter also alllows me to shift it manually with no lag because of the shift kit.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT