modded 95 gt rough idle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-27-2014, 09:58 PM   #1

Region: Texas
modded 95 gt rough idle

Hi guys, first post so bear with me. I recently purchased a 1995 mustang gt that was modded. I got it dirt cheap, $1300. It will start up every single time, but the idle is very very very erratic. It tries to idle around 800ish rpm but it bogs ways down and almost stalls, just barely stays alive, then sometimes right after it bogs down itll spike up to about 1500rpm. If i give it gas at all, it almost stalls out. I recently checked the tps and set it to .97v and i cleaned out the IAC. I tried messing around with the timing to no avail. Tomorrow i'll try setting it to 12 degrees instead of just messing with it. Here's a list of mods that it has, any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
trickflow stage 1 cam
gt40 heads (ford explorer heads)
1.6mm roller rocker arms and roller lifters
holley systemax intake
70mm TB
72mm MAF
bbk longtube headers, high flow cats, magnaflow from cat back
SyKoticStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You said clean the IAC, but did you clean the MAF sensor also? That could help. More than likely though, I would think that with that trickflow cam it would need a tune since the 94-95's computer is a bit stubborn with anything other than the stock cam. Does it have a tune in it?
Adam302gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

is it drivable? or does it stall out?
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
What Adam said, my car was having trouble with air to fuel ratio. I cleaned the maf and perfect. Also he might be right about the tune, but not sure it's 100% needed. Do you get a cel?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam302gt View Post
You said clean the IAC, but did you clean the MAF sensor also? That could help. More than likely though, I would think that with that trickflow cam it would need a tune since the 94-95's computer is a bit stubborn with anything other than the stock cam. Does it have a tune in it?
I agree that since it has an aftermarket cam that it will need a tune but the car should run fine without it. I had a 94 GT that I put a mildly built 351W in it and ran the F-303 cam and drove it on the stock computer for about 3 years. But a tune would make it run a lot better all around tho.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam302gt View Post
I didn't try cleaning the MAF yet. The guy who I bought it from had a tweecer hooked up to it but he admitted he had no idea how to tune it, so I unplug that as soon as I got it. So nope, no tune.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg View Post
What Adam said, my car was having trouble with air to fuel ratio. I cleaned the maf and perfect. Also he might be right about the tune, but not sure it's 100% needed. Do you get a cel?
It won't idle right at all, and when I give it gas it bogs way down and almost stalls out. So no it's not drivable but it also doesn't stall. There is no cel present.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #8

So here's an update, today it decided to run well. I set the timing to 12 degrees and it was running like a champ at around 700rpm. I cleaned off the MAF just in case too. I was revving it and it quits at about 15-1700 rpm, it almost stalls out. Then I realized i didn't plug in the spout connector after changing the timing. I plugged it in and it goes right back to how it was running before. It idles really erratic and tries to stall out. So now my question is why does it only run when the spout connector is unplugged? Does that mean the ecu is messed up because its trying to advance the timing whenever i plug the spout connector back in? Also, after running for about 5 minutes, it started idling rough and stalled out. Is there probably bad fuel in the tank, or maybe is my fuel pump going out since the car would almost stall when I'd rev it? Any answers would help and be greatly appreciated.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT