Mustang Evolution Forum banner

sloppy steering on the highway.

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  comporange 
#1 ·
Since our cars have such wide tires in the front with huge contact patches our rack&pinion's wear out over time. From turning at a standstill. Mine is fine around town but on the highway it's like steering a boat. It has a lot of play. What can I do to fix this? Do I replace my rack&pinion or just put new outer tie rods? I don't know where the source of the play is but it's annoying. Please help.

#3 ·
They don't wiggle, its a problem in the steering input it feels like theres play in the steering wheel, there's no thumping or pulling on the highway just when I'm going straight it has play left and right where it does noting between the wheels and steering wheel.

#5 ·
You can also pop the hood and make sure the steering knuckle bolt did the come out. When I bought mine it was like that really bad on the highway, noticed the bolt that keeps the knuckle from coming out on you from the steering g column in the engine bay must've been takin out. I put a nut and bolt in it and it helped a little.

It doesn't help to much that the guy who owned it before me cut out coils in the springs so the steering is all f'd up..

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.