Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Transmission Swap

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1983 5.0 4 speed ..

Can I swap a T5 in there with no problems?

And would all I need would be
Transmission
New flywheel
New clutch ?

#2 ·
You can go on latemodel. They have everything you need to do a t5 swap for around $3000. Includes the t5. It'll help you cause there's a lot more parts like the pedal, clutch fork, bellhousing, and other stuff.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#4 ·
Wait what? He is talking about the 4 speed SROD trans, not an auto... T-5 should go right in.

86-95gt 10.5 flywheel and clutch set, some sets dont come with the pilot bearing you will need one
you can use a 84-93gt transmission with matching bellhousing or a 94-95gt trans with matching bellhousing.
86-95gt crossmember
not sure if the drive shaft splines are different may need a newer one
the pedals should be the same may need to change the quadrant. not 100% on this.
Not all 83.5-93 T-5s are created equal. He'd want a world class unit. Also, a 94/95 trans/bell setup will put the shifter way too far back in a fox. If he was to get a 94/95 trans he'd need to swap to a fox input and use a fox bell.

#3 ·
86-95gt 10.5 flywheel and clutch set, some sets dont come with the pilot bearing you will need one
you can use a 84-93gt transmission with matching bellhousing or a 94-95gt trans with matching bellhousing.
86-95gt crossmember
not sure if the drive shaft splines are different may need a newer one
the pedals should be the same may need to change the quadrant. not 100% on this.

#6 ·
I was just saying the latemodel thing cause that's a lot of the parts you need for the t5 swap. I didn't know the 4 speed was a manual.

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

I thought that was an auto.

#10 ·
Yeah I know I did a 3550 in my SN95 which required a DS spacer, moved the shifter about 3/4" forward, needed a fox fork, obviously Tremec bell (fox) and flipped crossmember measured for DS angles.

I'm just saying it is more plug and play and pain free to use a fox setup. Also they are WAY more common. As far as the DS in a longer 94/95 trans... I guess as long as you aren't bottoming the yoke out or getting really close to bottoming the yoke out you are good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.