Just bought a 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Just bought a 5.0

Well after looking at a few foxbodys
Yesterday I found a 1983 5.0 4spd ( standard ) and picked it up for 400 bucks ..

Now my plans for this car is it make it strictly a track car,
I'm going to gutt the interior , the dash is ugly red so I'm going to paint it ,

Now as far as plans I want to do a 347 stroker setup, with a nitrous ,
I was looking at summit and they have a 347 stroker kit for like 1300, it has forged pistons, I beam forged rods, but cast crank.. Would that be okay?

Also it's carb .. I will most likely stick with that too.. Easier and less wiring ..

And would I be able to swap the 4 speed to a T5?
Thanks

Any ideas on how I can make this a 10 sec car, I'd appreciate it.

As far as suspension
I'm going to do
Tubular K member , A arms , Rear control arms, subframe connectors, 90/10 struts , 50/50 shocks, drag springs, other things like battery relocate, Ofcourse light wheels and slicks, upgrade the rear end with 31 spline axles and diff, probably go with 4:10 gears,

Any help would be cool
Anyone ever see someone convert their 4 eye front to a aero front end ?
Slow4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
If you are making it a strictly track car, go auto, seriously. Because the car you build with a stick shift will get its butthole pushed in by the same car with an auto at the 1/4 mile. If you don't care about overdrive get a C4, if you want overdrive get an AOD or a 4R and in any case get a manual valve body. But to answer your question of course you can swap to T-5, all the 5.0s have the same bolt pattern, so do the 351s which leads me to my next point.

If you are starting from scratch GO FOR A 351 BASED STROKER. Do NOT waste your time on the 302.

Also, don't buy ebay kits... I know its easy to spend other ppls money but in this case you really do want to stick with a high end shop/supplier. www.fordstrokers.com would be my first choice closely followed by www.adperformance.com and www.coasthigh.com

What I would do:

-Gut the car
-Cage it/racing seats/fire extinguiser etc... to get it ready
-Build the SRA and rear suspension
-408 stroker
-4R75W (from a 2004 GT or Mach)
-Silverfox manual valve body
-Stall converter with your choice of stall speed
-Obviously all the supporting cast of mods

A mild 408 making 500whp with a properly setup automatic/suspension in a gutted fox weighing like 2700lbs will go right into the 9s.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I can achieve 500 NA ? From a 351 stroked out ?

That would be impressive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

A mild 408 will do 500 to the wheels without much effort, they are monsters. Get ahold of Woody at Fordstrokers and see what he'd recommend for what you want to do.

And yes a bone *** stock 4R75w will hold that power no issue, you just have to run a manual valve body or a Baumann if you want it to shift itself. But you could go with a C4/AOD or even a TH-400. Or a Powerglide. Or whatever.

Your Mach is going to get jealous though...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of heads do you recommend i to go with? For the 351w
Old 01-29-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

TFS 225cc CNC High Ports are the baddest *** heads out of the bunch but you can do great with AFR 225s or even Vic Jrs or whatever else. All depends on budget and how fast you need to go.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks , I'll look into it more

I found a 351w short block , honed and everything , bored 30 over for 250 here in town
Old 01-29-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

WATCH OUT, for random used blocks though. Some of them will have cracks under the cam bearings that you cannot see unless you pull said bearings and look. There is a blurb about this on the fordstrokers site I think or at least Woody has posted about it in another forum I belong to. I know for a fact he checks all his blocks out before he does anything to them.

$250 for a bored over block is a good deal but also a little suspect at that price. Who did the work? When was it done? Did the shop that did it use a torque plate? Lots of questions.

Any reason you are not just building a 4.6L for your Mach and going after 10 second runs in that?

Old 01-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Because the Mach 1 is my daily, I don't want to rag it out, and I don't have time to mess with it, I need it up and ready to run 24/7 I have no other transportation

Figured I'd just build a fox on the side
And put money into it here and there without sacrificing ride quality, and mpg, and comfort.

Idrather just have a weekend car to rag on and abuse
Old 01-29-2014, 09:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would do a 408 or 427 stroker. You can get 500 at the wheel pretty darn easy. DSS racing is a real good place to start if you want parts made to hand im hoing le power. They have blocks already machined for a stroker kit for about 900$ all forged stroker kits and everything inbetween . That's who I'm going to get my parts from. I'm going to do a 427 stroker for my car.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:25 PM   #11
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've heard too many DSS horror stories to ever buy anything from them. You get what you pay for and there is a reason DSS is cheaper than most places. Fordstrokers has literally TWO assemblers and uses all the best stuff.

And all "forged" stuff is not created equal. For example, Eagle stuff is all made in China and has been known to have issues. Just saying if I was going to drop the $$$ on a 408 I would not cheap out.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I vote 408. We all know Scotty is point on with his logic here. Couldnt agree more. If I ever break the 302 in my Fox, I'm going to Fordstrokers.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

Its the price that scares ppl away at like $8k for a built 408 long block but it really is a screaming good deal for what you get and the capabilities of it.

Dudes drop $4000 into a stock block stroker trying and failing to save money and then see the guy who spent $3k on a supercharger for his stock motor making more power so another $3k for a supercharger and are now stuck with a glass jaw 302 based motor for at or close to the same price as a nasty 408.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I've heard too many DSS horror stories to ever buy anything from them. You get what you pay for and there is a reason DSS is cheaper than most places. Fordstrokers has literally TWO assemblers and uses all the best stuff.

And all "forged" stuff is not created equal. For example, Eagle stuff is all made in China and has been known to have issues. Just saying if I was going to drop the $$$ on a 408 I would not cheap out.
I can't agree with this to much. I've had a lot of friends over the years use DSS with no problems what so ever. They are the reason I chose DSS and until I experience a failure with them I will continue to use them.

And if I was going to go thru the trouble of a 408 I would just go the 427 route. Price for parts is almost identical and the same machine work has to be done for either kit. So for the same money o would opt for the extra 19 cubes. That little bit can make a big difference in a motor like that.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 AM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
I can't agree with this to much. I've had a lot of friends over the years use DSS with no problems what so ever. They are the reason I chose DSS and until I experience a failure with them I will continue to use them.

And if I was going to go thru the trouble of a 408 I would just go the 427 route. Price for parts is almost identical and the same machine work has to be done for either kit. So for the same money o would opt for the extra 19 cubes. That little bit can make a big difference in a motor like that.
I can see where you are coming from with DSS, I say the same thing when someone reports issues with a company I've never had a problem with. Same deal with MMR and all the horror stories you hear about them but there are dudes running 1000whp through their shortblocks with no problems. YMMV and that's always the case.

As far as a 408 vs a 427, the 427 will wear out a little faster, wont be able to spin as high or spin up as fast and the power difference is negligible but agreed the prices are the same. Its all down to personal preference with the 393/408/418/427 arguement.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT