Motor swap????? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #1

Region: West Virgina
Motor swap?????

I got a built 5.0 to drop in my 1994 gt and have not had the time to do it myself so i was wondering how much would it cost to pay someone to do the swap?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
WSimpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
There could be a lot of labor involved. Figure between 500-1K depending on time and assuming nothing is getting swapped from one engine to the other.

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
That's an easy one weekend job if your just swapping engines. . Just save your money and do it yourself. But if parts needs swapped out from one engine to another add another day at least as long as you have everything on hand.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Pulling a motor out of a 5.0 and putting it back in with a buddy and a cherry picker is a 1 day job if you've done it before. 2 if you haven't.

I generally pull the entire engine/trans out as 1 piece with the hood removed. Much easier IMO but some ppl like to lift the unibody off the K-member and just wheel the whole thing out. YMMV.

Paying a shop to do it... whatever their labor is per hour multiplied by whatever the book says as far as time. I can't see it being any less than $1k-$1500.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Pulling a motor out of a 5.0 and putting it back in with a buddy and a cherry picker is a 1 day job if you've done it before. 2 if you haven't.

I generally pull the entire engine/trans out as 1 piece with the hood removed. Much easier IMO but some ppl like to lift the unibody off the K-member and just wheel the whole thing out. YMMV.

Paying a shop to do it... whatever their labor is per hour multiplied by whatever the book says as far as time. I can't see it being any less than $1k-$1500.
Agreed! I've always done mine 100% by myself, on gravel driveways none the less. Not very easy to move a cherry picker around on gravel!! I always pulled the engine out desperate from the trans. Its hard to pull out as a whole into by yourself.

Most mechanism shops charge about 75$ per hour for labor. At least that's the price here for the most part. And at a shop I would figure no less than 24 actual hours start to finish. Not counting parts they find that they will call bad and try to sell you new ones. Just be careful with shops. I personally do not trust them and have never once taken my car to a shop. If I had the equipment I would even change my own tires...lol.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

Region: West Virgina
Thank you all for the info. If its gonna cost that much I think ill just wait till I have the time and do it myself lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
WSimpkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
Agreed! I've always done mine 100% by myself, on gravel driveways none the less. Not very easy to move a cherry picker around on gravel!! I always pulled the engine out desperate from the trans. Its hard to pull out as a whole into by yourself.

Most mechanism shops charge about 75$ per hour for labor. At least that's the price here for the most part. And at a shop I would figure no less than 24 actual hours start to finish. Not counting parts they find that they will call bad and try to sell you new ones. Just be careful with shops. I personally do not trust them and have never once taken my car to a shop. If I had the equipment I would even change my own tires...lol.
I need to learn the mounting/balancing machine at the base auto shop. Probably should just take an old **** tire and rim there and practice, they only charge like $3.50 an hour to use it.

I also do not trust shops with a very few exceptions. There are a few trans builders I know are good and one or two speed shops locally but an actual mechanic to just fix ****? No.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT