24lb injectors - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
24lb injectors

Hey guys I have a 91 mustang gt with a 355 stroker. I have 24lb injectors but am wondering what else I need to do like bigger maf sensor, throttle body anything with the computer???? All help appreciated thanks
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
busaboy,

What other details can you give us about the build? I'm guessing you're in the middle of the swap and the engine hasn't run yet? What parts do you have already?

You're definitely going to need a custom dyno tune from your local speed shop. Otherwise the car is going to have a lot of surging and hesitation issues.

Get back to me with as many details as you have and I can point you in the right direction!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Shane, the motor was bored .40 over oversized crank lunati cam and performance lifters rockers etc and new heads. the motor has not yet ran as I'm still hooking up wires and trying to figure the smog delete out. I also went with a mezier electric water pump dual fans and aluminum radiator. Lots of stuff to still work on but Not quite sure what I need with the whole fuel/air and computer if anything
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would get a C&L 73mm CAI, 70tb and a custom BAMA tune chip. You dont need a dyno tune although they would do the best job. You can run the car with a stock tune but it could surge at idle and it won't get the proper air/fuel ratio but it can be done. I did it in a 94 GT with a 351 swap and all the bolt ons and cam. Also ran the lunati cam . Car was a beast but would have run better with a tune. Dont forget the MAF you get has to be calibrated for the injectors. It will come pre calibrated but I just thought I'd let you know.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

As far as the bama tune chip how do I get it I mean do I tell them what's done and they program it or is there a preset for 24lb injectors and the maf
Old 01-31-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You order it from AM and a BAMA representative will contack you to get all the info on the build. From there they will build the chip giving you 3 different tunes, I believe they are performance, street and race. They also have a hybrid tune. I hear its pretty bada** but I've never had it. I'll get it when I get my next chip for my current car.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks a lot how are they price wise
Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

269$ I'm my current catalog.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You'd get a BAMA tune for a stroker with aftermarket everything including heads/cam/intake huh? Good thing they tune for all that stuff. Oh wait, no they don't.

24s also are not going to be big enough for a 347/355 or whatever he has.

OP will want to get advice on properly selecting a fuel system for this motor, install everything into the car and then have it trailered/flatbedded to a good tuner for initial fire up/tuning.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #10
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
Thanks Shane, the motor was bored .40 over oversized crank lunati cam and performance lifters rockers etc and new heads. the motor has not yet ran as I'm still hooking up wires and trying to figure the smog delete out. I also went with a mezier electric water pump dual fans and aluminum radiator. Lots of stuff to still work on but Not quite sure what I need with the whole fuel/air and computer if anything
busaboy,

It's going to take some time dialing in a setup like this. You're going to need to take the car to a Speed Shop that can sit with the car in person an find what it needs to run smoothly. As it's going to take a good amount of trial and error to get it tweaked just right.

Although you can use the SCT Eliminator chip to store a dyno tune on, the Bama Team will not be able to remote tune the car. They do not offer tunes for extreme builds for the reasons I listed above. Simply because they need to have the car in person for an extended period of time.

I suggest finding a local Speed Shop and talking to them about your build before moving forward!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I was not aware of that. I was always under the impression that all they need is the engine info to build the chip off of. I had a 94 stang that I put a 351 into. Had a lunati cam, edelbrock upper and lower, and all the normal bolt ons with E7 heads ported and slight polish. I ran that set up for 3 years on the stock computer tune with no problems. Still got about 22 mpg on the highway and it ran like a beast. I'm not suggesting the OP do this. But I did because I couldn't afford a dyno tune or even a chip.

Old 02-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The car I have right now doesn't even have a tune. Its running on the stock computer tune. You can see in my signature that my engine is by no means stock, there is more done than listed tho. It has instant throttle response and runs GREAT. BUT..... it doesn't like to idle very well if I turn it down to the 800. I have to keep my idle at about 1100. I want a chip so bad I can't stand it, just dont have the money for it.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89GTstanger View Post
The car I have right now doesn't even have a tune. Its running on the stock computer tune. You can see in my signature that my engine is by no means stock, there is more done than listed tho. It has instant throttle response and runs GREAT. BUT..... it doesn't like to idle very well if I turn it down to the 800. I have to keep my idle at about 1100. I want a chip so bad I can't stand it, just dont have the money for it.
Yes, you can get away with quite a lot on the stock computers with the correct MAF sensor per injectors, but drive ability will certainly suffer. As you're seeing right now, an 1,100rpm idle is extremely high. Most tuners want it in the 800rpm range, and getting it their without a bouncing or surging idle, can be difficult at first.

Needless to say, at the end of the day and experienced tuner will be able to dial it in. It just takes some time and multiple tests. These tests are not something the Bama Team can do for the SCT Eliminator chip since it has to be shipped back and fourth to Bama and the Bama Team and see the car in person to notice small symptoms.

On 96+ Mustangs, that's a different story. As they're able to datalog and watch how the engine is running without being there in person!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 02-03-2014, 01:49 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Running un-tuned is one of the most head scratching things I see in the car world. You're going to spend $thousands on the motor/trans/car but balk at a $600 dyno tune???? And it happens ALL the time. I ran my 95 untuned just long enough to make sure I had not jacked anything up in the build with 10 degrees of timing and going easy on it. When I got it to the dyno tuner the baseline run was 260whp. On the third pull the tuner had it at 301. THAT is the difference you will feel with a dyno tune and mine was just a HCI 302.

I'm also hoping the OP is not running that sort of stroker on a stock block because that is VERY much on the edge of being safe and also putting a forged stroker assembly in a stock 302 block is a COMPLETE waste of time and money seeing as the weak link in the 5.0 pushrod is the block and NOT the rotating assembly.

And I'm sorry if I come off like an *** in half or more of my posts or a debbie downer or whatever but it really seems that half the ppl on this and all car forums just don't do any research BEFORE buying. I would never recommend anyone punch a stock block out to 355, hell I recommend a 331 before anything on a 302 and that's only for a car that will stay NA and even then its often litte-no more money to do a 351 based build which is LIGHT YEARS better.

Now if this is an aftermarket DART or WORLD block or whatever then that's a different story. And also $2500 for a block vs 1/4 the price or less for a 351w roller block...

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:04 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I just bought my car a few weeks ago. Everything was already done to it. I asked the guy why he didn't tune it since he had so much money in it. He said he just never got around to it...idk about that. If I put 15k into a car I would most certainly have it dyno tuned. But I've never put that kind of money in my cars. I do what I can afford and look for deals...lol. when you live pay check to pay check any mods you do normally come from your part of that tax check which is exactly what I've always done. The only parts I've bought for my car throughout the year are parts I needed to have. I am going to be looking at getting this car dyno tuned tho because I think it will pick up another 40-50 HP.

I'm the person that wants something for my car and once I get the money I'll buy stuff for my daughter or wife. For example, I need supplies to do what body work it needs to be straight and get ready for paint. I had the money but what did I do? I bought my wife a new grill for her birthday and bought my daughter some toys. Its hard for me to spend money on myself when I like to see them happy...

Old 02-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

I hear that about tax season. The companies all know it too and often have sales and deals to get you to spend it all in one place.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT