Issue with mustang Jerking forward? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Question Issue with mustang Jerking forward?

Hey everyone,
I previously had a problem with my 1988 Mustang 5.0 lx where it was misfiring/popping under load and I had a loss of power. Well I replaced the fuel filter, EGR Valve and Position sensor, the alternator with a 3G 130amp alternator with a bigger cable(goes from alternator to ignition system), Sparkplugs (Motorcraft gapped at .052), Cap and rotor(MSD), Ignition wires (autolite), Ignition Coil (MSD), and changed the oil and am using a motorcraft oil filter with Mobil 1 5w30 Full synthetic. I also checked the green wire on the tps sensor and its between 9.5-9.8volts. The misfiring/popping didnt go away so I changed the TFI Module although it wasnt the problem so I returned it. I was told it was probably the "pip" sensor in the distributor because my symptoms were leaning toward that. I replaced the distributor with a "Tough One" distributor with a steel gear; TFI Module included. I installed the distributor(made sure before that the number 1 cylinder was top dead center on the compression stage and not exhaust) and put the new rotor in the correct direction toward the number 1 cylinder. Afterward I got my neighbor to set my timing to 12 because I was told that was stock. The car has been no longer misfiring since the day i installed it(friday) until today although it was slight and when the car was cold. It did misfire when the car was warm but it didnt misfire/pop nearly as bad as before. Now though i've noticed a new issue. My car now Jerks forward a couple of times when im at a steady speed or "cruising" although it doesnt do that when I accelerate or am in neutral(I have a 5speed). To describe the "jerking forward" movement its like if I were not going a fast enough speed for the gear im in and the car bucks. Its about the same. What is this from and how can I fix it?
Thank you
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Did you try putting a couple more degrees timing in it? I have pretty much done everything you have and mine runs best at 14 degrees. Worth a shot, only a 5 minute job.
Red89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red89 View Post
Did you try putting a couple more degrees timing in it? I have pretty much done everything you have and mine runs best at 14 degrees. Worth a shot, only a 5 minute job.
I'll have to borrow another timing light and give it another shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2014, 09:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
This seems simple but works miracles some times. Clean the MAF with carb cleaner or MAF cleaner. I've always used carb cleaner. Start the engine and spray carb cleanerpass the meter inside. You'll need to give it a little gas while doing it or the car will die. Do this a few seconds. Let us know what happens.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have the same issue with my 95GT. I've tried all the same things. I'm gonna drive my car into a wall! Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
carlosmorris29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
If it's 88 it's sd unless it's been converted to mass air.i would check fuel pressure first.could be fuel pump/relay or oxygen sensor
Liebert91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liebert91stang View Post
If it's 88 it's sd unless it's been converted to mass air.i would check fuel pressure first.could be fuel pump/relay or oxygen sensor
I have speed density since mine is an 88. This bucking issue didn't start until after I replaced the dizzy and timed her. I don't know think it has at least. Unless I didn't notice it? I was thinking of replacing my o2 sensors and then the fuel pump after if I have to.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Does the check engine light come on? Sensors are about $40 apiece and probably wouldn't hurt to be changed.i would go with bigger fuel pump for future mods if you plan on going that route.i replace mine with bbk 155 lph and it was about $120
Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does the check engine light come on? Sensors are about $40 apiece and probably wouldn't hurt to be changed.i would go with bigger fuel pump for future mods if you plan on going that route.i replace mine with bbk 155 lph and it was about $120
No cel, hooked up the obd1 and nothing. System pass. Car still misfires too. Even after changing the above^ sometimes I step on the throttle and it hesitates and then it'll regain power and speed up. Probably gonna buy new sensors
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I have never tried but you can check them with a voltmeter.you have to get them warm and seems like a pain in the ***.like I said even if it doesn't fix the prob they need to be changed.worst case you get better gas mileage 😉
Old 02-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

When you replace distributer did you look at wiring harness for tfi module?possible wire loose?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
When you replace distributer did you look at wiring harness for tfi module?possible wire loose?
The harness isn't loose. Will probably buy one and replace it. As for the o2 sensors that's next and then the pump. Liking the gas mileage increase. My mileage is crap. I'm getting 160miles tops on a full tank so.. Lol. Although my fuel gauge doesn't work so when it gets warm I'm gonna drop the tank and replace it. I think the bezzle is lose or floating around though because when I'm not moving and I turn the wheel either way the car almost dies. I'm thinking it might have to do with the misfire issue as well..?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If you replace the pump I would replace sending unit in tank as well while you have it out.i would say that's why fuel gauge isn't working.ao car almost dies when you sitting still and turn wheel?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you replace the pump I would replace sending unit in tank as well while you have it out.i would say that's why fuel gauge isn't working.ao car almost dies when you sitting still and turn wheel?
It is not terrible although the car runs slower. As for misfiring I heard that if the bezzle is broken it would float around and could block off the pipe and cause misfiring?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

There is a filter that goes on bottom of pump that help prevent debris from getting in lines if that's what bezzle is but if that's what your talking about fuel can still get thru it.could the serpentine belt be slipping?
Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is a filter that goes on bottom of pump that help prevent debris from getting in lines if that's what bezzle is but if that's what your talking about fuel can still get thru it.could the serpentine belt be slipping?
Idk how would it slip?, maybe a bad tensioner? It doesn't bounce and there's no cracks in the belt. This is my first mustang. Only bought it a year ago but I know how to work on an engine.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

If it's worn out or tension pully need adjusted.does it seem loose or give if you push on it?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If it's worn out or tension pully need adjusted.does it seem loose or give if you push on it?
Doesn't seem loose. When I push it down it only moves about a half inch.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnvlz1294 View Post

I have speed density since mine is an 88. This bucking issue didn't start until after I replaced the dizzy and timed her. I don't know think it has at least. Unless I didn't notice it? I was thinking of replacing my o2 sensors and then the fuel pump after if I have to.
Maybe the dizzy is cracked or something. I know its new but there has been many times were guys have replaced their dizzy with a faulty one. And did you double check timing? You said your bucking didnt start until you did timing and replaced dizzy; therefore,its most likely something to do with the dizzy and/or timing
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:40 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbox View Post
Maybe the dizzy is cracked or something. I know its new but there has been many times were guys have replaced their dizzy with a faulty one. And did you double check timing? You said your bucking didnt start until you did timing and replaced dizzy; therefore,its most likely something to do with the dizzy and/or timing
The dizzy isn't cracked I thoroughly inspected it before installation. My timing was set at 12 should I try 14?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:51 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Believe it or not your distributor could be bad. Yes I know its new but that means nothing. I've had one go out in 2 days before and it was brand new. It should be under warranty so just return it for a new one and see what happens.

1989 LX, 306 with TF top end kit, Anderson N-21 cam, TKO 600 trans with steel splatter shield,full Maximum Motorsports Mustang maximum Grip box, Detroit locker rear end with 31 spline Moser axles. Staggered wheels with Nitto 555 315/35/17 out back.
89GTstanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by antnvlz1294 View Post
Doesn't seem loose. When I push it down it only moves about a half inch.
FWIW: There is a Belt Wear Indicator on the tensioner itself that tells you if you're in range.

Did you check the gap on the spark plugs ( .052-.056 ) before you installed them?
ALMOST STOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Could also be bad fuel injector.ever smell gas?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT