can I modify my flowmaster setup by clamping in borla's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
can I modify my flowmaster setup by clamping in borla's?

Hey, I recently installed 3.73's and I love them. Only problem is now on the highway it cruises at about 2,100 rpm whitch is the drone sweet spot for flowmasters. I can't stand it, especially if I drive down to myrtle beach for mustang week. So my question is can I buy a borla muffler, unclamp the flowmaster, cut the inlet pipe off the front of the flowmaster and just clamp the borla in both on the inlet and outlet side? I love my super 40's around town but on the highway. Forget it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140217_165150.png
Views:	177
Size:	736.8 KB
ID:	148064

Name:	ForumRunner_20140217_165206.png
Views:	163
Size:	764.3 KB
ID:	148065
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2014, 08:25 PM   #2
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Yes but not those mufflers. You need a dual offset like the ones in your car now.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Yes but not those mufflers. You need a dual offset like the ones in your car now.
What about these ?

Name:	ForumRunner_20140217_230915.png
Views:	154
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	148086
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Look up the dimensions of your flowmasters and get a matching one of whichever brand you want.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Look up the dimensions of your flowmasters and get a matching one of whichever brand you want.
I can't find it anywhere, so I will just crawl under the car and measure it my self.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

I just use summit's make/model/year selection thinger if I'm not sure. It usually gets you to the mufflers that fit depending on your brand.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I just use summit's make/model/year selection thinger if I'm not sure. It usually gets you to the mufflers that fit depending on your brand.
Good idea. Also how hard would it be to put shorty headars on. I figure wile I have the car in the air I might as well. And do you ever use those fastener stopper cottor pin thingy that stops the bolts from backing out and letting the gas make the pinging noise? I always see those kits on powerblock tv on spike lol.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

On a 5.0 headers are cake. I wish they still made the FRPP versions for 94/95 cars, I had a set of those for 7 years and they looked near new when I removed them. Now its pretty much BBK for a decent set of ceramics. I'd definitely recommend the extra $$ for the ceramics if you can afford it

And yes I always use the stage 8 locking bolts. Torque to spec, install the locks, never worry about a bolt backing out again. Couple with dead soft aluminum gaskets ftw.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
On a 5.0 headers are cake. I wish they still made the FRPP versions for 94/95 cars, I had a set of those for 7 years and they looked near new when I removed them. Now its pretty much BBK for a decent set of ceramics. I'd definitely recommend the extra $$ for the ceramics if you can afford it

And yes I always use the stage 8 locking bolts. Torque to spec, install the locks, never worry about a bolt backing out again. Couple with dead soft aluminum gaskets ftw.
Should I coat the aluminum gaskets with copper paste?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

Properly installed/toruqed you don't need it. All it does is make a mess. Make sure you clean it really well to make a good seal, most leaks are from not getting all the old crud off, not tightening from the inside-out, not using a torque wrench, using ****ty gaskets and bolts backing out. Usually you will want to re-torque for a few heat cycles at least but with the stage 8 bolts you don't need to.

I like to get the bolts all started, snug them up from the inside out and then hit them with final torque from the inside out. As stupid as this sounds for headers it can make a difference.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Properly installed/toruqed you don't need it. All it does is make a mess. Make sure you clean it really well to make a good seal, most leaks are from not getting all the old crud off, overtorquing, using ****ty gaskets and bolts backing out. Usually you will want to re-torque for a few heat cycles at least but with the stage 8 bolts you don't need to
Yea, I'm going to get cheap summit shorties for $150, sandblast them in my cabnet. Paint them with ciramic headar paint myself and bake it on in my oven and buy the stage 8 blots and aluminum gaskits with the cash i saved. The ciramic coated ones from pacesetter and bbk are to expensive.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Remember, you get what you pay for, I know the BBK ones fit very well, Summits I have not tried or know anyone who has tried them. Also make sure they come with the EGR bung if you still have EGR. ALSO make sure they are 94/95 specific. You can use fox headers but they will not have the EGR bung and you'll need a fox mid pipe too.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Remember, you get what you pay for, I know the BBK ones fit very well, Summits I have not tried or know anyone who has tried them. Also make sure they come with the EGR bung if you still have EGR. ALSO make sure they are 94/95 specific. You can use fox headers but they will not have the EGR bung and you'll need a fox mid pipe too.
They do have the egr bung check it out,

Name:	ForumRunner_20140218_150834.png
Views:	146
Size:	782.1 KB
ID:	148119
Old 05-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Dident want to start a new thread but hopefully someone can answer this, how do maganpacks sound paird with a bbk or x pipe. Want a really loud rasp but with no highway drone, and it seems turbo style mufflers are to quiet

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Old 05-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Have the o/r magnapack kit with xpipe stainless.
Best sounding exhaust in my opinion.

Running mac shortie headers.
Cant even imagine longtubes
Varasios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Any highway drone

Old 05-14-2014, 03:16 PM   #17
Staff
Regular
Staff

If you don't want highway drone get a set of Dynomax Ultra Flows. Mild idle, mild off idle, SCREAM at wot and very quiet tone at 2100-2400 rpm on the highway.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 05-14-2014, 04:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Not too much,
My old setup was bad
Had mac H prochamber and flowmaster super 40's. Dronne.
Old 05-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Vari-tune

Mustang axleback kit
You adjust the sound and performance Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1400102482.526276.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	896.3 KB
ID:	156837

There yah go!
Old 05-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Dynomax sounds good.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:42 PM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varasios View Post
Vari-tune

Mustang axleback kit
You adjust the sound and performance Attachment 156837

There yah go!

Looks like something that would start to adjust itself due to vibrations and I'd be too lazy to jack the car up and adjust it honestly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
Dynomax sounds good.

It IS good. Best mufflers I've ever had.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Looking at the dynomax ultra flows right now and there really nice, only problem is do they have to be notched if I'm clamping them togther? I mean do the mufflers have to have those 2 little cutout lines on the inlet and outlet of the muffler?

Old 05-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #23
Staff
Regular
Staff

IIRC they did but I can't say for sure. Just get the welded if you are that worried, its cheap.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:49 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I will probobly buy the welded ones and some band clamps and exhaust cement so it doesn't leak as much. I can alway cut 2 tiny lines on the inlet and outlet with a circular grinder If it doesent work. I think Im going to order the dynomax ultra flows tomrrow

Old 05-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #25
Staff
Regular
Staff

Good deal, I loved them. Just be aware they do get louder as they "break in". They still will not drone on the highway but if they are too quiet for you at first just give them a few thousand miles. I ran shorties to an ORH to the Ultras for years and always got asked wtf exhaust I ran because my Cobra sounded amazing when I floored it and nobody else ran Dynomax. Everyone ran flows with the occasional borla/bassanni/magnaflow.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:03 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I just orderd some ultra flows and they will be here Tuesday. Got em for $60 each!!! Can't wait. I will make a video of how it sounds and compare the drone to the flowmasters. Also I want to cut open the flowmasters and see how rusted they are. They way i have to cut them out I won't be able to reuse them anyway.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Where in the blue hell did you get them for $60 each? I'd like to know because I'd like to replace my chambered Thrush mufflers with them.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where in the blue hell did you get them for $60 each? I'd like to know because I'd like to replace my chambered Thrush mufflers with them.
Amazon dyno max ultraflow part #17222, I will let you know if they fit well when I get them in the mail. Free shipping to lol.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400791264035.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	157571  
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got the ultraflows installed , it took 2 new generic 2 1/2 inch intermediate extension pipes and 6, 2 1/2 inch exhaust clamps, and generic exhaust hangers . I also used exhaust sealant cement in all areas clamped so there are absolutely no leaks. The car sounds incredible in person, thanks scotty! also here is a video of them in action. Watch in HD
Old 05-31-2014, 08:52 PM   #30
Staff
Regular
Staff

Sounds like a BAMF dude. Still my favorite mufflers available and nobody seems to run them or even know they exist. I was turned on to them by a forum user way back in 2003 and once they were installed I was always getting asked wtf exhaust I was running when I was stationed in DE. As far as I knew at the time, I was the only person in the whole city running them. Mostly flows with a few Magnaflows sprinkled in here and there.

Old 05-31-2014, 09:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Sounds like a BAMF dude. Still my favorite mufflers available and nobody seems to run them or even know they exist. I was turned on to them by a forum user way back in 2003 and once they were installed I was always getting asked wtf exhaust I was running when I was stationed in DE. As far as I knew at the time, I was the only person in the whole city running them. Mostly flows with a few Magnaflows sprinkled in here and there.
Thanks man, I'm glad you turned me on to them as well, they don't drone and when you put your foot into it it SCREAMS lol. People seem to think dynomax is a cheap muffler and I used to think the same thing, but I played $60 bucks each for these and there stainless steel, great build quality, and sound incredible. I love these mufflers and we're worth every bit of $120 bucks, heck they could get away with chargeing more if they wanted.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Yeah this thread is making me want to replace my Thrush mufflers with the Ultras. Thrush is Dynomax's chambered muffler. Sounds great but drones pretty good at 2300rpm. That's what I loved about the Ultras, they could sound amazing but not drone.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:49 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah this thread is making me want to replace my Thrush mufflers with the Ultras. Thrush is Dynomax's chambered muffler. Sounds great but drones pretty good at 2300rpm. That's what I loved about the Ultras, they could sound amazing but not drone.
Yea thrush, walker, and dynomax are all the same company. I don't miss my flowmaster super 40's and neither do my neighbors lol.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:40 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey Scotty, I gave my buddy my old flowmasters and we put one of them on his 05 4.6 explorer I belive it has the pi heads. I know you have one to. He had a cutout just before the stock muffler on the explorer but it sounded like a big exhaust leak lol. He clamped in the 40 series with the stock cats and it sounds nice. Doesent drone as much but it's still there with the chamberd muffler and all. But all in all it sounds bad *** for a truck.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #35
Staff
Regular
Staff

I don't have an exploder... I have an expedition with the 5.4L so yeah... close. I think the Expy has a 3" exhaust after the Y, not sure, really never looked into modding my giant station wagon lol. I know I have the correct year for the Lightning swap and I could J-mod the 4R70w but I really don't see the point when all it does is haul our thundering herd of dogs around and is my bad weather DD.

But yeah the flows will sound milder and way less drone especially if the stock muffler is in place. Might actually be restricting it a little if the stock muffler is in place vs just a straight pipe before the stock muffler.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT