Mustang Evolution Forum banner

GT-40 install advise

928 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

Was hoping for some help. When I purchased my '89 GT there was an intake in the trunk, in a box. I just put it aside. Last night I went to look at it and I think it is an Explorer set up. Someone had told me that you need to drill and tap a port by the #5 cylinder for it to work. Looks like that is already there. Looks factory too. If I put this on my car will it be a noticeable/enjoyable upgrade?

I am an average backyard mechanic so would the install be simple? I just chased a PIP issue for weeks and something tells me to leave well enough alone now that she is running perfectly.........that's just not how we are wired!

Does anyone have a checklist of things I need to do to install. Heard the vacuum connections are a challenge.

Anyone have an installation guide?

On the car I now have:
BBK 70mm throttle body
BBK cold air fender well intake
BBK shorty headers
MSD Streetfighter box, coil and distributor with wires
PA Performance 95 amp alternator
3:73's
American Muscle BAMA chip with the 3 modes.

Thanks so much.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well look at pics online of the explorer intake/gt40 intake and look at yours. They are impossible to confuse. If the lower is a GT40 style and it has the bung already tapped in #5 then its either an OEM Cobra lower or somoene tapped it already. Either way you can just relocate that sensor to the inlet tube if you don't want to drill/tap.

As far as the intake swap itself, very straightforward, as long as you have hand tools and a torque wrench you are good. Google "explorer intake swap" and you'll get multiple install threads/guides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.