Mustang Evolution Forum banner

mustang 88

2K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  scottydsntknow 
#1 ·
what vacuum linesto delete when there is no smog pump?

#10 · (Edited)
The EGR is for emissions control AND fuel economy, so deleting the EGR isn't going to help a thing other cleaning up some of the emissions in the engine bay.

I've read more than once you can remove the EGR simply by unplugging it and blocking the EGR port down at the cylinder head, or at the upper and lower intake. You will get a CEL however because code 33 will trip the light. DO NOT install resistors.

You want the CEL to tell the ECU to disable the EGR function. If you trick the computer into thinking the EGR is in place and functional, you may find you run lean at part throttle cruise. Not something you want.

Proper way to then tune it out is to get a custom tune that turns off the EGR function permanently. Then, you install the resistors to turn off the CEL.

#15 ·
Leave the EGR in there, no reason at all to delete it except to clean up the engine bay. No performance gain. You can trash everything else though. Just realize that if you have cats they are going to get HOT without the smog pump. If you have an OR pipe it doesn't matter.

#18 · (Edited)
Since you've deleted all the emissions vacuum line you can use the vacuum port on the vacuum log under the upper intake as a source of vacuum for the EGR . You can do that by using rubber wiper tubing and go from the EGR directly to the vacuum log or you can use the white plastic vacuum line that is already on the EGR and buy a rubber fitting to slide over the plastic vacuum line and the slips over the vacuum port under the upper intake.

OR

You can take the black vacuum line from under the upper intake that went to the 4 ports rubber emissions block and run that to the EGR and buy an end for that. or make a splice near the EGR and use rubber wiper tubing to couple the 2 vacuum lines together.

By doing this you can eliminate the 4 port rubber emissions distribution block and any vacuum hoses.

#17 ·
Let me re-phrase that, yout trash everything except the lines going to the EGR and the FPR. If that means you have to keep a loom full of vac lines you just plug them all and delete what you can. My 91 had it all ripped out already by the PO, on my 95 I deleted all the big vac hoses, bypassed the smog pump, removed the crossover pipe behind the heads and plugged the heads and this left me with 4 small plastic vac hoses. The red and green ones went to the FPR/EGR, the other two I just stuffed some RTV in there and let it dry and that was that.

#21 ·
Just don't forget not all rubbers are created equal!

#25 ·
#29 ·
Yup, get rid of as much vac hose and crap as you can if you've deleted that stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.