Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Check engine

2K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  olds442111 
#1 ·
94 gt mustang was driving great. The alternator went out changed it. Now I am having a slight misfire and idle surge. Changed plugs and wires. Misfire went away. Drove to work misfire returned and check engine light. About half way to work car smoothed out check engine light went off. Please help?

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#28 ·
When I took it AutoZone dude told my car was to old I needed a 1.5 What ever that is

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

I will get the check engine diagnostics now

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

Keep yall posted

#29 ·
Oh, you are OBD1, google on how to do the check engine light trick. Basically you jumper a connector and then follow the directions. Your CEL will blink in a sequence which will translate to a code. Like for example 531 (just random, no idea what that code is) will be 5 fast flashes, paus, 3 fast flashes, pause, 1 fast flash.

#32 ·
Lol yeah. OBDII started in 1994 actually on the V6 but didn't hit the GT until the modular went in in 1996. OBDII is much better for a variety of reasons. Obviously the code scanning but also no sniffer in my state if you have a OBDII vehicle. Plug in and as long as the emissions stuff sends back a green light to the computer they slap a sticker on the windsheild and see you in 2 years.

#34 ·
Yeah they can only do OBDII, you have to do the paper clip jumper trick and read your CEL. Like I said, google how to do it, I have not done it in YEARS and I forget but its quick and pretty painless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.