Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Check engine

2K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  olds442111 
#1 ·
94 gt mustang was driving great. The alternator went out changed it. Now I am having a slight misfire and idle surge. Changed plugs and wires. Misfire went away. Drove to work misfire returned and check engine light. About half way to work car smoothed out check engine light went off. Please help?

Sent from my SCH-R830C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#2 ·
Pull codes and see what it is. Your PIP (pickup in distributor) is likely on the way out if my past experiences are anything to go by. Pull the cap on the distributor and look in there, if there is a silvery dust all over the inside of it that's likely the culprit. New dizzy and coil fixes that.

#3 ·
Thanks Scotty

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

And the idle surge.possibly idle air control valve?

#4 ·
Those are common points of failure as well.

#6 ·
Plugs, wires, clean MAF sensor, IAC etc... make damn sure if you do the plugs to get a torque wrench or you can blow out the threads really easy. 12 ft lbs and that is it.

#11 ·
Kinda had a feeling it would be an automatic. The 40-50 mph shudder that you're experiencing......lets address that.
Does it kinda of give you the sensation that you are hitting the rumble strips on the roadside? This is a common problem with automatic overdrive Fords. I'll await your reply before going any further.

#16 ·
Ok, here is the typical fix. Change the fluid, and use a good quality fluid, and of the proper type. Heres the trick to it. Ford offers a friction modifier additive, which is designed to address the torque converter shudder. Add the recommended amount to the fluid, give it time to soak into the clutches, and your symptoms should dissipate. Theres also a product available locally at the parts stores in a red tube, made by "Dr. Tranny". This is also a variation of friction modifier. I've seen it work and not work. I'd recommend the Ford addictive, but if that's not possible, go for the retail store stuff by Dr. Tranny.

#18 ·
^Yep.

Is it safe to google "Dr. Tranny" on a work computer?

#17 ·
Drain/fill then trans for sure. DO NOT GET IT FLUSHED! Shops will try to tell you that flushing is a good thing, it is not. Put car on jackstands, remove pan/drain fluid. Access torque converter drain plug, drain that, new filter, gasket should be re-usable, pan back on, filter plug back in, fill with factory spec level of Mercon V.

#24 ·
Very well could be an IAC. Again, pull codes if you haven't already and see if anything is there that you are not already aware of. Autozone and stores like it usually offer this service for free.

#26 ·
Lol, ok I'm going to go look at cell phone accessories for awhile to stop walking all over olds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.