Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Replacing ground strap

10K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  ALMOST STOCK 
#1 ·
Ok so besides the fact that almost stock is going to look at this thread because he always finds the way to answer my questions lol:lol:; I need help replacing a ground strap. Its the 4 gauge ground wire that goes from the intake(I believe the lower?..) to the firewall on the drivers side. I believe its the ground for all of the accessories including the tps sensor and alternator, etc? I want to replace it with an identical 4 gauge 15 inch ground wire that I purchased at an auto store by my house. I leaned over and stuck my head as far as I could with my flashlight and couldnt find where the ground bolted onto the manifold. So now I'm asking, should I remove the upper manifold in order to replace this ground? If so, how do I do it?

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
No reason to remove the upper intake.

The main purpose of the braided ground strap is to ground the 02 sensors and also acts as a ground for the engine ground to the chassis.
As long as you can attach the orange wire (#19 in the diagram below) it will have a black shielding around it to the braded ground wire you and use any bolt or bolt hole on the engine as the ground location and the ground the braided to the firewall.

#4 · (Edited)
To get to the old mounting location on the engine block you need a boxed end wrench, lots of patience and plenty of time but it can be done.

You can use any bolt as a ground bolt so find a threaded bolt hole on the engine, heads , oil pan, and attach one end there and the attach the other end to the firewall.

Ideally you like to be able to attach the orange wire and the braided strap in the same location on the block, so you might try following the orange wire to where is bolted to the engine and snip the orange wire off ( before you cut the orange wire make sure you have plenty of length otherwise you'll need to solder an extension wire on so that you can bolt it in a new location) with some cutters put a round end on it and then find a new accessible to bolt that and the braided ground strap together on the engine.

#6 · (Edited)
You can always just attach the ground wire to the block and then the firewall in any location,

The orange wire with the black shieling is in the bundle or wires the 10 pin Black & White Connectors in the rear.

The wire will look like this.

#8 ·
You can attach ground cable to any part on the engine block.
If that means crawling under the car to find a bolt or thread bolt hole where you can use your own bolt, bolt one end to the block and the other to the fire wall.
As an example you can use one of the oil pan bolts if you want then bolt the other end to the firewall with a large sheet metal bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.