project 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-13-2014, 02:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
project 5.0

Wanting to build up my 95 5.0 but trying to fix my ignition proplem. Maybe someone can help me figure this out. So far changed spark plugs alternator battery the cap and rotor look relatively new. Had my start er checked its good. Anyways sometimes it starts right up like it a 2014 and other times its a ***** like I'm sitting the for ten min with it cranking but won't turn over than i pop the clutch or it decides to turn over on it own. And once its started it drives beautifly . idk how new the wires are or the coil. Thinking maybe the coil but don't wanna waist money if that is not the problem
italiantj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Check fuses maybe u have one out but it still may be arking sometimes

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Does sound like coil though
slade95gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ya it could be. I dont know tho. Like its obvisoly a spark prob. Or fuel. But fuel pump kicks on. Just trying to not play find the problem game. U think I should just do new msd ignition but start with coil then try wires etc than if still doesn't fix it then maybe a weak fuel pump or bad fuel filter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: Europe
Distributors on these cars are notorious for ****ting the bed. Pull your cap and gander in there, if you see a silvery powder that means the PIP is toast or on the way out. Usually a bad PIP causes issues with the coil as well.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What's the pip? U talking about the goldfish metel things around the inside of the cap etc. If so I looked and its all silver from where the rotor its it going around
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
Staff
Regular
Staff

The pip is the pickup in the dizzy.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048 34k miles. 99 Cobra 4V swapped, FTBR IRS swapped, exhaust, tuned by James Gordon.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I think i fixed it I tried to start it twice and did good but idk if its for real because before it would be good on and off. But switched to a msd setup ( got coil, rotar , and cap) minus wires which I'll later.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

MSD is crap and nothing you did is going to fix the problem IMO.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Idk so far seems like it did. I'll see morrow if it keeps starting right up. Is there an adapter to hook up a big k& n filter to maf part. Get my bbk cai Mon. But don't wanna have it go in fender so wanting to sell that one part and small filter it comes with.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:23 PM   #10
Staff
Regular
Staff

In fender is actually better. I had that same BBK unit and I didn't like it. It was very nice to have the filter in fender but the BBK kit necks down too goddamn small going from the MAF to the TB. Get a JLT and call it a day.

Old 03-13-2014, 10:54 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I figured because its able to suck in more cold air. And I already purchased it and it gets here Mon. Since I live in cali had to find one that was carb approved.
Old 03-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ya so that didn't fix it. So far new coil, cap, rotor battery, alternator. So guess wires & ICM is next on plate. After that idk. Wish i knew exactly 100% what it was. Maybe the rotor isnt pointing at #1 I had it but for some reason my starts at top left not top right like every other 95 5.0
Old 03-15-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
Staff
Regular
Staff

I already told you, new pip or new dizzy.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 03-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Na not dizzy cause took cap of and turned key and rotor spins just find all around. So pip or I'm thinking starting with ICM , but gunna get new sites first.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

The pip is the part of the dizzy that fails, has nothing to do with the rotor spinning or not. A new dizzy will have a new pip and therefore fix it... anyway...

Old 03-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Believe i Found the problem its my fuel pump and filter . On Fri switching to a bbk 190 lph pump. Anyways about to get a throttle body what size is good enough. I was looking at 70 mm. Idk what's on there now which I'll check of coarse before ordering. Only has cai cat back soon to be pump and cams right now. After this tb il get headers mid pipe 24 lb fuel injectors jet chip. I figure thats good enough then I can start cobra clone.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Don't get a tb right now wouldn't see much gains if any at all, save the money and use it for another mod. But that is my personnel opinion, I have talked and heard from too many people that is was a waste of money and they didn't feel anything. But don't get me wrong with more mods on your car I would say yes to a tb to compliment your other mods.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Don't get a tb right now wouldn't see much gains if any at all, save the money and use it for another mod. But that is my personnel opinion, I have talked and heard from too many people that is was a waste of money and they didn't feel anything. But don't get me wrong with more mods on your car I would say yes to a tb to compliment your other mods.
Old 03-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe save that for last then hu as a whatever part lol. What would u slap on then between what I have left like I said was just gunna get the 24lb injectors and headers x pipe and jet chip than cobra type r clone it. as u can see not building it for track just a nice street car o and i already did full msd set up. I mean maybe pulley also maybe but was just gunna get those parts clone it than re due engine.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

It all depends on your goals for the car is. For a street car I would say forget the upgraded fuel injectors no need for them on a pretty much stock motor. Get the exhaust then some gears and maybe a short throw shifter and underdrive pulleys are okay you will see a little gain. I would also look into upgrading your suspension. Scotty will probably jump on this and tell you a little bit more.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I forgot about suspension I need it bad I hit a rock and I feel like I hit a truck lol bounce out ta my seat Hella stiff ya I was thinking about the pulleys and gears so no injectors than? If i go for gears than a chip would be a waist of $ than hu. Ya like i said not going for track but a nice cobra type r clone quick street car. Like u can see from the list not going to crazy.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:32 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

If your talking about the bama chip from A.M then no the chip is not a waste because it come with lifetime tunes so if you make any changes get another tune and you will be fine. But do some research into those chips, there is a guy on here with a 94 cobra I think and he got one and was a waste from what I heard from him. But look up some reviews and see what you think about it. Cause honestly I was thinking about doing it after some more mods but after what I have heard and nightmares of people screwing up big time on the install.
Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Ya I might just say screw it iv heard from places its a waist if u get gears in ur car. But thanks for pointing me in a better direction. With next months allowance lol I give myself thinking under drive pulleys or gears but then I would have to wait to following month for shop to install that $$$. Idk what I wanna do first or maybe headers but same issue would have to wait. I saw for gears it hooks up to a 8.8 axle I think or something. Is that what I have cause I saw in the comments the guy had to buy another part cause he didn't have a 8.8 axle or exchange a piece. Lol thing would be a beast with gears and pulleys alone lol
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Yea man you should be fine you have the 8.8, the only reason that guy needed another part was because he had a 7.5 rear end which the offered in older mustangs. Or some one swapped out his rear end with something else and he didn't know. I would 100% recommend a shop do the install on the gears but the under drive pulley should be pretty simply to do yourself. Look up a how to vid and see if you can tackle the job.
Old 03-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

O ok sweet. Ya honestly i wasent even going to attempt to do the gears.I saw on there they said around 150-300 to install but will see. Prob get a quote soon. Gunna do 4.10 deffiny need some tires. But. Ya. I'll prob do pulleys myself but dont have tho tools just like this 190 lph pump imma prob have to pay someone to do it. Nothing I hate more than paying for things I can do. Its cause i don't have jacks or stands
Old 03-24-2014, 05:43 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

$150-$300 for the install is really good dude, if you don't want to pay that for a gear install, just sell your Mustang and get a Toyota. Most ppl get quoted double that at least and that's just for the install.

Old 03-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Ya well that's what I heard but imma quote around. I live in the ghetto so everything cheaper lol. Ya those 4.10 gears like 260 so following hopefully earlier I get it in, than pulleys. Lol and na its a project imma keep it want to built up and cobra R clone . Plus all the money I put into it already ya not letting her go unless I found a 89 black fox body 5.0 with same **** I put in lol then yep
Old 03-24-2014, 09:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Prob a dumb *** question but i hear ratteling under my car its kinda bad at ideal when driving don't hear it . but is that a bad cat. Or something later I'll get car hot and look and see if cat red but just wanted to see what was up with the ratteling.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:09 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Is this a bad cat( just started like 2 days ago) it rattles pretty bad during idel and driving. I got car semi hot at night and looked to see if its red and its not not even a little bit.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

It might be bad just doesn't get hot enough for it to glow, do you have a cel?
Old 03-26-2014, 12:21 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

It cel? Imma go with no because idk what that is. But u think so i mean i only got it kinda hot but damn it. Old project cars great but i feel like iv re built car lol f man my o2 bad now need cats smh. Just waiting on that starter and i would have re done cometic type **** knock on wood that stays good for awhile so i can finally get back to building it up. Looked on american muscle they got a magnaflow catted x pipe comes with all 4 for 630 something. Idk if it 50 staye legel tho. Figure might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone as i was gunna change h to x anyways.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

A cel is a check engine light.. If you have bad cats, you could remove them and pick up some power but I noticed you live in Cali so that's is a big no go with your emission laws. Good luck man
Old 03-26-2014, 10:15 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

O i got a ford code reader my check engine light on but it says i believe 176 so bad 02 which i no because i can hella smell the rich smell. Imma get new ones on tuesday which will restore a little performance. Wi5h new 190 lph pump . i wanna get pulleys but might have to get cats if so i can get catted x pipe whixh i wanted to switch to x anways. Morrow il hook up code reader see if it says anything about cat. If not i can always go to smog shop and have them just run it to see if my hc bad if so thats cat. I no man i hate the emissions here if it was up to me i would go straight pipes or open headers lol.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

What code reader are you using that is pulling from an OBD1 car? I just always did the CEL method to pull codes for free. You don't need a new pump unless yours is failing, for a midpipe a BBK with cats is fine or just go offroad if you have no emissions. For O2 sensors don't pay out your anus for ones from a local box store, Rockauto has Densos that work well for $40/ea I believe. You only need two in a 94/95 no matter what anyone tells you. I had more idiots at box stores tell me that I needed "downstream sensors" when I was pricing them out vs the Rockauto ones back in the day. They went to 4 sensors in 96.

Old 03-27-2014, 10:20 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

O idk lol its a obd1 ford reader i got at oreilys for like 40 or so. My pump half the time doesnt turn on or is week because sometimes engine doesnt get enough gas. I cant do catted bbk cause its not 50 state legel. I live in cali. So i gotta find a catted x that is. Ya i was only gunna get upstream iv never got downstream because nevet made since to. Ya i read o have to go motorcraft for 02 if not car will get ficked up they 70 a piece. Heatd denso, ntk, and bosch horrible for 5.0.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT