Need a new 302 engine - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
antnvlz1294's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mount Laurel
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 212
Question Need a new 302 engine

My buddy has the same model fox as I do. Where can I get a new 302 pushrod 5.0 engine? He needs a stock engine with little to no miles preferably new, and wants to get one to replace his 302 stock fuel injected engine thats slowly going out. He doesnt want to spend more than $1600 at most and needs it to be for his manual t5 transmission. He called ford and they want $4500 for a replacement... so he doesnt want to do that. He would use his stock intake manifold and all parts off of his current engine. Let me know so I can spread the word!

Thanks guys.
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dion11197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 829
I know on the top mustang sites they usually have a budget block with rotating assembly for $1,000.00. You can also check your local Craig's List ads. I've seen complete engines from intake to oil pan with 30k miles listed for $1200.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
antnvlz1294's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mount Laurel
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
I know on the top mustang sites they usually have a budget block with rotating assembly for $1,000.00. You can also check your local Craig's List ads. I've seen complete engines from intake to oil pan with 30k miles listed for $1200.
But how do I really know that there is the miles they say on the engine?
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dion11197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 829
That's the thing, you won't unless they still have it in the car and you can verify mileage, if they haven't rolled back the odometer.

If that's a concern, the only safe bets are rebuilding what's already there, or buying a new block and rotating assembly.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
antnvlz1294's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mount Laurel
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
That's the thing, you won't unless they still have it in the car and you can verify mileage, if they haven't rolled back the odometer.

If that's a concern, the only safe bets are rebuilding what's already there, or buying a new block and rotating assembly.
Dang that sucks.. i wonder if anyone on here has one..
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dion11197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 829
They may, or try the coral.

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

Corral that is.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
antnvlz1294's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mount Laurel
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
They may, or try the coral.

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 AM ----------

Corral that is.
Okay will do. Thanks for everything
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dion11197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 829
You bet! If he's looking for a bit of a performance boost, he can look for a 96-2001 explorer 5.0. Comes with a GT 40 cast intake and either gt40 or gt40p heads. I just found one at a local recycler for $450. Then of course he'd want to rebuild it. That's an option also.
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
antnvlz1294's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mount Laurel
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
You bet! If he's looking for a bit of a performance boost, he can look for a 96-2001 explorer 5.0. Comes with a GT 40 cast intake and either gt40 or gt40p heads. I just found one at a local recycler for $450. Then of course he'd want to rebuild it. That's an option also.
Well I know he only wants to get another engine because he is hearing a knocking when the engine is running.. He thinks it's a rocker and he doesn't know what or how to do with the issue. Him and I both are new to mustangs.
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:07 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dion11197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 829
I would recommend further investigation. If you have access to a mechanic who has a mechanics stethoscope, they can listen to the top and bottom of the engine and determine if it's a top end issue like lifter or rocker arm vs. Bottom end which is a much more serious issue. If it's just a rocker arm or lifter, it much easier to fix and cheaper!
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
antnvlz1294's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Mount Laurel
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion11197 View Post
I would recommend further investigation. If you have access to a mechanic who has a mechanics stethoscope, they can listen to the top and bottom of the engine and determine if it's a top end issue like lifter or rocker arm vs. Bottom end which is a much more serious issue. If it's just a rocker arm or lifter, it much easier to fix and cheaper!
I would although the only one by me who has a mechanics stethoscope wants to charge him $400 just to look at it... and his engine has only 102k miles too..
antnvlz1294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dion11197's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 829
Yeah, that's half the price of a budget bottom end.... That dude's insane!!
Dion11197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Louder Sound Idea!! MustacheMustang 2011-2014 V6 Mustang 196 05-19-2013 03:21 PM
selling a 1989 4 cylinder mustang with a 5.0 engine and transmission both working 1987mustanglx50 2.3 Mustang 0 01-25-2012 02:30 PM
16 Valve GT To 32 Valve Cobra Engine Swap 504 Stang Rida 1996-2004 Mustang GT 5 08-23-2011 06:29 AM
Engine died at low speed. Could not start engine in hot weather Ucla1998 Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 5 08-09-2011 03:15 AM
Boss 302 vs GT 5.0 poloka 2011-2014 Mustang GT 188 06-20-2011 05:08 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



02:21 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.