Budget Build Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Budget Build Help

OK Guys,
I have a 94 GT I'm trying to do a budget build on. I'm going to use a 91 GT Block because it has Stock forged Pistons & Rods. So far I have GT40 3-Bar Heads & GT40 Intake off a 96 Explorer. I have a 65mm BBK T-Body & 63mm Spacer. I have the T-Body Elbow adapter, CAI & 70mm MAF calibrated for stock 19-lb. injectors. New 3 Core Aluminum Radiator & Hoses. I have a New Chrome Oil pan & Pick up tube, A Hi Flow Water Pump, a 6G/200 amp alternator, Ford Racing Finned Valve Covers, 8mm Summit Racing Plug Wires, Double Roller Timing Chain Set & a Hi-Torque Starter. I know some of the stuff isn't necessary but I want the entire motor pretty much in New Condition & Looking Good Also. Heads & Intake Are Silver, Black Block, Chrome Oil Pan, Water Pump & Timing Cover. Red Plug Wires, Red Distributor Cap (MSD), Black CAI, Chrome Headers. Just giving you an idea of where I'm going with this.
I'm Ready to buy a CAM, Lifters, Valve Springs, Retainers & Locks.
I'm planning on using a Stage 2 Clutch.
My questions pertain to the cam & Springs.
I'm having a hard time understanding this cam thing with so many different kinds. I'm needing to know which cams I can choose from. When I look at Ebay
(I buy almost all my parts on line) I see cams with all these names.
1) Roller Tappet Hydraulic Cam
2) Roller Cam
3) Solid Lifter Roller Cam
4) Solid Lifter Roller Tappet Cam
5) Hydraulic Roller Cam
6) Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam
7) Hydraulic Roller Tappet Cam
So which cams can I choose from ???
What the heck is a Tappet ??? (Is it the same thing as a Lifter?)
I'm looking to use something like an E303 Cam but I want to check out other cams with similar specs before I buy one this Friday.
Also...When I put New Valve Springs & Locks on is it really necessary to change the Retainers also??? Seems like that would be a waste of $50 to me if it's not really needed. The Heads are already Cleaned up, Valve Job & Painted with new seals. This is my 1st try at an engine build & actually I just started getting into fast cars a few years ago....& I'm 53 years old. My questions may sound dumb to you guys but I got to learn somehow.
If any of you guys live in the Phx. AZ area & really know your stuff on building a motor I'll be looking to pay someone to help me build it when I get theoe rest of the parts. Probably ready by end of summer...maybe sooner.
Any info on this cam stuff is greatly appreciated.
Thx !!! Dale
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Sounds like your headed in the right direction with your build. If its a daily driver I would skip out on the chrome oil pan. Next the intake is going to rub on your stock hood, thats why the stock intake is thinner than the 87-93 intakes. The style cam you are looking for is an hydraulic roller. Transmission type and rear gears play a factor in cam choice.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
My GT40 Intake is off of a 96 so shouldn't it be a thinner one also since it's after 93?
I thought I just had to change the strut tower brace. I'm going to go check some measurements on my stock intake & the GT40 to see if there's any difference.
Hope that's not the case as I hadn't planned on changing the hood....Just cutting it out for a working scoop.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
I installed a complete 89gt engine into a 95gt for a friend of mine.. The 89 intake rubs the bottom side of the hood. The hood will close but its just a matter of time before the damage will show. Maybe you can find a good deal on a 96-98 Cobra hood it should give you the clearance you need. My friend installed a cowl induction hood to solve his problem.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT